Smoking while driving

A smoking ban in public places is in place in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and will come into force in England on July 1. However, safety campaigners are now calling on the Government to ban people smoking while driving.

People against the proposed ban say smoking is no more distracting than changing a CD or retuning the radio.

Have you had an accident while fumbling for your ciggies or trying to light up? Is smoking just as distracting as being on a mobile phone? Or is this just another law impinging our freedom?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I remember reading a story in a paper some years back about a guy who was seriously injured as a result of smoking whilst driving.

He was on the motorway and he dropped his cigarette between his legs. The resultant heat made him pull onto the hard shoulder and jump out to locate and extinguish the cigarette.

He got hit by a passing vehicle as he exited his car,,, OUCH!!!!

I'll bet he never smoked while driving again..

No smoking while driving?!?!....then it'll be no eating, no drinking, no sneezing, no coughing, no burping, no farting, no talking, no listening to the radio/someone talking to you, no blinking, no breatheing.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

All the bans that already exist are well beyond any kind of joke, I'm just surprised the population hasn't rebelled en masse and given the finger to them all by ignoring them....what could the "powers that be" do, arrest everybody?!?

Ahhh....the "Nanny State" is doing well, and by some hazy means is getting the majority to swallow all the hyped scare stories and play along, sad....However did the human race manage to save the breed before we had all these regulations "looking after us". :roll:

Husband had an incident regarding smoking in the car a good few years ago.

He lit his fag with a match then put the spent match back in the box :roll:

Then put the box in his shirt pocket :roll:

Yes you guessed it !! the cars on Lochside had a good laugh at him doing a war dance in the middle o the road trying to extingush himself :lol: :lol:

No damage to anything other than his pride :lol:

The actual smoking of the cigarette isn't that distracting, and it is no worse than changing the volume on the radio or picking your nose.

However the "lighting up" bit of it does seem to cause drivers to take their attention off the road, especially when using matches.

No smoking while driving?!?!....then it'll be no eating, no drinking, no sneezing, no coughing, no burping, no farting, quote]

I once farted whilst driving, leaned over to the right to make way, accidentally taking the car with me into the ditch. Only going 20mph, luckily enough it was a shallow ditch also!

I've never been a smoker and a driver at the same time, so I'm not sure. However I did notice that my ability to drive was drastically reduced by the fact that I was trying to eat a cheesy-pastry thing the other day.

I've never been a smoker and a driver at the same time, so I'm not sure. However I did notice that my ability to drive was drastically reduced by the fact that I was trying to eat a cheesy-pastry thing the other day.

Strangely, last week I noticed that my ability to eat a pasty was dramatically reduced by the fact I was trying to drive.

Strangely, last week I noticed that my ability to eat a pasty was dramatically reduced by the fact I was trying to drive.

I wonder what might happen if your mobile phone rang whilst you were driving and eating a pasty at the same time. My guess is that, since your ability to do whatever it is you are doing is dramatically reduced and hence perhaps your judgement is not at its best, you would accidentally shove pasty into your ear.

A squaddie overturned a 20-odd ton truck when he left the seat to pick his dropped fag packet from the floor of the truck :shock:

Back in my fag smoking days I used to use matches to spark up the weed. I would jam my thighs against the steering wheel and hope that the wheels followed the road.