Smoking while driving

Its clear that from the replies on this thread that no one really takes this nonsense seriously , which is quite right. What can be more distracting than smoking / talking on the mobile when driving is having 2 or 3 bairns girnin awa in the back but dont see a ban on them.......yet. Also what law would be broken if you were tootlin along merrily eating your fish supper ? :roll:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also what law would be broken if you were tootlin along merrily eating your fish supper ? :roll:

Driving without due care and attention I would think.

I wonder what might happen if your mobile phone rang whilst you were driving and eating a pasty at the same time. My guess is that, since your ability to do whatever it is you are doing is dramatically reduced and hence perhaps your judgement is not at its best, you would accidentally shove pasty into your ear.

The same can be said for eating whilst on the toilet. As I was once warned, you are just one false move away from wiping your bum with a sandwich.

Para Handy wrote

No body seems to mind that they are some sitting next to a tank of petrol or even worse a tank of gas.

Or even worse smoking while driving an enclosed van carrying cylinders of oxygen, acetylene and propane.......in the same van at the same time. Done that many a time.

Guest Anonymous

in the old days i used to be a smoker of the pipe , so when ever i felt like a blast from the smoking organ i would simply get the man in the passenger seat to steer :- problem solved.

Occasionally if i was reading a particularily intersesting article in the newspaper after having the smoke of the pipe my co pilot would change the gear lever for me also.

it may have freaked out a few other drivers ? but i am sure these types of dual controlling is quite ofte practised by the aviation industry they are statistically the safest form of travel.

I rest my case.

• 4 weeks later...
in the old days i used to be a smoker of the pipe , so when ever i felt like a blast from the smoking organ i would simply get the man in the passenger seat to steer :- problem solved.

Occasionally if i was reading a particularily intersesting article in the newspaper after having the smoke of the pipe my co pilot would change the gear lever for me also.

it may have freaked out a few other drivers ? but i am sure these types of dual controlling is quite ofte practised by the aviation industry they are statistically the safest form of travel.

I rest my case.

Couple of friends once drove a VW from London to Nottingham with the throttle cable broken. The guy in the back seat did all the accelerator work while the "driver" did the rest. By the time they came off the motorway, they were really getting into it, double declutching and all.

Hate to think what the boys in blue would have said if they'd caught them :) :)

My Fiat 128 - if that doesn't age me nothing does - I wont mention the furry dashboard and centre console - it looked like brown gonks had been pulverised to produce the required effect. Sorry I said that I wouldn't mention it. :cry: Had a hand throttle, a bit like the old choke controls*. I used to happily blat down the autobahn with that pulled out. Nothing like cruise control, where when you press on the brake the cruise cuts out. This just kept going.

*Women - just think about the thing that you hung your handbag on when hubby took you out for a drive at the weekend - ooh, I feel some wrath coming :shock: :lol: :shock:

i have never been able to understand why its legal to smoke while driving but illegal to eat?

if I'm cruising along eating a prawn sandwich and drop it .... all i get is a nasty embarrassing stain and a fishy smell from my lap :oops:

a smoker that drops a ciggy could set his/her crutch alight

sure a burning crutch is more of a road safety hazard than a fishy stained crutch? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an observation... there is great talk of matches... but does no one use a lighter here????

I personally dont smoke whilst I drive (basically because I am a total hypocrite and dont want the car covered in ash or stinking of stale tobacco....) and I dont smoke in the house either... just outside.. Although smoking is typically selfish.. I wouldnt inflict my bad habit on anyone else...

The thing I find hilarious is why do cars come with ashtrays and cup holders... obviously so that you can have your coffee and cigarette on the way to work in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its very rare that a lot of people would get caught eating whilst driving, I have always done it, but it is usually a bar of chocolate or something, rather than a large bagette or a wrap from the shop down the pier...

Och the government are sitting around wondering what to come up with next... thats all... like folks say, next you wont be allowed to:

a) talk to the driver cause it might distract them... :shock:

B) Listen to music in the car because that can cause a distraction, changing a cd, or indeed dancing around in the car to your fav tune.... :lol:

c) No farting... it might smell that gross that you might be sick and therefore cause an accident peuking or indeed fainting at the wheel.... :!:

d) No scratching of noses or arses, legs, heads, or any other itchy part of the body... as that means that you will have to take your hands of the wheel for too long... :roll:

e) No sneezing... as this usually means that ones eyes have to shut in order to do so.. as keeping eyes open might cause eyes to disembark head..:shock: