1. 1. Should smoking be banned?

• Yes, completely
    • Yes, in certain places
    • No

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the smoking ban came into force in England today.

Meanwhile, BBC World has been running a report about the smoking ban in California.

It seems that they already have one smoke free city, and they are about to embark on a second. There are designated smoking areas, and smokers in cars must keep their windows rolled up.

Is this a sign of more draconain measures to come for us?

So, the smoking ban came into force in England today.

Meanwhile, BBC World has been running a report about the smoking ban in California.

It seems that they already have one smoke free city, and they are about to embark on a second. There are designated smoking areas, and smokers in cars must keep their windows rolled up.

Is this a sign of more draconain measures to come for us?

Draconian? As in saving people from an untimely death?

Shouldn't be allowed :wink:

The smoking ban came into force in England today & it was quite funny to see larger than normal groups of people standing outside in the rain having a fag!! After hearing many people & saying myself for the past few weeks that today would be the day I'd try & give up I was Just wondering how many of you did the same & have been successful since the ban came into force in Scotland!? A lot of the posts I've read over the past few pages say that they are giving or have given up over the past few months and wondered if the ban has helped people in anyway??

I gave up a number of years ago and most of the people that I know are non-smokers. Anything that is said here is likely to be anecdotal, whereas ISD will deal in facts.

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Just before I ruined my lungs would have been so much better than long after!

There was a big hoo-ha here when the legislation was coming in by a vocal minority. I often heard non-smokers saying that this was what was going to give them a kick up the rear end. Whether they have had the self-determination or not who knows.

There will always be a hardcore that want to continue. Let them carry on is my thoughts, as long as I don't have to breathe it in.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yorkshire boozer establishes 'smoking research centre'

Kerry Fenton, landlady of the Cutting Edge in Worsbrough, converted the pub's tap room into a hub of nicotine-based research in which punters could smoke themselves silly if they filled in a questionnaire.

The cunning plan was the brainchild of regular James Martin, a Sheffield printer who noticed a potential loophole in the Smoke-free (Exemptions and Vehicles) Regulation 2007 - that a "designated room in a research or testing facility" does not have to be smoke-free "whilst it is being used for any research or tests"

Fenton claimed her trade had rocketed since Friday, when the new facility opened to the public. Customers were required to answer questions, such as how many cigarettes they smoked, and if they liked smoky pub atmospheres, as well as stick 50p in a charity box to fund cancer research.

She said: "Before Friday we were lucky to get 10 people in at a weekend. On Friday we had 29, on Saturday 31 and on Sunday 46."

Brilliant 8)