Baltasound Junior High

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone on here was in Baltasound Junior High school around the mid 80's.

I used to live up in the shetlands, being an RAF Brat...and if I am honest, a complete brat at that age. I have fond memories of my schooldays there.

I remember the likes of Peter and Patrick Henderson, Tracy Forrest. Our wonderful Science teacher who had a very paticular way of teaching science, that was very hands on indeed.

Anyway, nice to see a forum up about the Islands. Would love to visit back there one day! After moving around a bit more, I settled in North Wales, on an Island not too much bigger than Unst (just a bit wider thats all).

(** mod edit - updated title to reflect topic **)

I am ashamed of my own behaviour at that age to be honest, I had few friends and more enemies, I guess we grow mellower as we get older. If there was any trouble in the school, sadly I was usually somewhere near. Not drinking though, never did that, maybe apart from my dads homebrew once, and that made me sick.

I remember playing for the school footy team as well, along with Patrick Henderson and a few others. And that science teacher, I would LOVE to remember his name, his lessons were amazing, and his catchphrase "Gosh". We used to come into the listen each week and the first thing we did was listen to the shipping forecast.

Fond, but ashamed memories. Still, is a lovely place, with very friendly people, and will always have a little affection for it.

The last thing I do remember leaving, is on the St Clair in Lerwick, we were delayed by 24 hours, due to 125mph winds. I also remember being sick whilst the ship was still tied up to the berth :oops: :oops:

Hi robynfali,

The teacher is Lesley Smith though you probably will remember that his nickname was Pleep.(**MOD EDIT**). I believe he's given up driving as his eyes are getting worse (though he still cycles everywhere!)

I'm a bit younger than you but I don't think there was a Patrick Henderson (I could be wrong) there was however a Peter Henderson, Martin Henderson or Patrick Robertson.

Hope this helps :lol:

Yeah, I think you could be right about the hendersons, wasnt one of them the son of the woodwork teacher or something, and another one I seem to remember, after moving appeared on a children's television quiz show, and was VERY successful on it.

(**MOD EDIT**) a very good teacher nonetheless...do you remember the Art Teachers name, I ALWAYS managed to receive his wrath for one reason or another.

Yeah, I think you could be right about the hendersons, wasnt one of them the son of the woodwork teacher or something, and another one I seem to remember, after moving appeared on a children's television quiz show, and was VERY successful on it.

(**MOD EDIT**) a very good teacher nonetheless...do you remember the Art Teachers name, I ALWAYS managed to receive his wrath for one reason or another.

Peter Henderson appeared on a childrens quiz show. Can't remember the name of it though.

Laurence Robertson was the woodwork teacher he had two son's one called Patrick (who I believe you remember) and another called Andrew.

The Art Teacher I'm no so sure about..... I would guess it was Liam O'Neil his catchphrase was:

(On seeing a young pupils masterpiece which they've slaved on for hours.)

"What's that? Put it in the bin!"

Ahh I remember the days :D

Setters Hill is still called as such. However they are no longer used by the RAF as they pulled out of Unst a couple of years ago.

There's always been something about the Art Teachers in Baltasound JHS.

Being young, I can only remember as far back as Mr O'Neill, who I understand got sacked for throwing chairs. Then there was Francais Wilson, who was just as insane, and now Mr McLeish, well.... Those of us who know him....

Is it art that makes people insane, or just the Unst air?

It must be the Unst air mixing with all those chemicals....my son is in unversity in london, studying art. He is not insane.... YET...maybe I should send him up there to teach. No not really, once he has passed he is heading out to South Korea to live and work.