Printing services / home printer retailers

breeksy

[mod]Title altered from "Colour printing" to widen scope[/mod]

Hi there

Does anywhere know if there is anywhere in Shetland (preferably central or north mainland) where I can take a word document that includes a coloured jpeg image, and get it printed to a reasonable quality?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend any reasonably priced colour printers (both to buy and to use) that will do a decent job?

Thanks

Most new colour printers will do a decent job providing you use decent quality paper. You can pick up colour laser printers now for less than £200.

If you are sending it somewhere to be printed then the best bet is to give them the Word document and the original image (if possible). The image would need to be 300dpi or better to get a good quality image although 150dpi shouldn't be too bad.

How many copies do you need?

If you are sending it somewhere to be printed then the best bet is to give them the Word document and the original image (if possible). The image would need to be 300dpi or better to get a good quality image although 150dpi shouldn't be too bad.

Yup, the industry standard for getting stuff professionally printed up is 300dpi. This is usually photoshop or image type stuff though. A 150dpi image will still look damn good.

If du has no idea what the dpi of the image is, just make sure it still looks good when you zoom in to around 200%+ of actual size. If it does, it'll be super duper quality when it's printed (assuming it's A4 size?).

Also, is there not something about Word handling TIFF's better than JPEG's? Another reason it might be a good idea to give them the original image if possible.

Gosh you guys ask hard questions!

The image is 5552x7087 pixels, and has been changed to roughly A4. Its not a photo, so doesn't really need to be photo quality. Maybe? I have no idea how that relates to dpi, but I'm sure it does.....

It would be A4, and of this particular thing I would only need about maybe 20 copies. I will be also looking at maybe a couple of hundred each copies of 3 double sided pages - probably all but one side will be black and white.

I'll have a look at tay-cad - I have heard of them, but have no idea what they do!

Just had a thought... if any interested amateur on here would be happy to print stuff for me, we could do a trade - I could do a massage in return - either for yourself or in voucher form as a gift for a loved one...

Just a thought...

It might be a couple of weeks before I have totally settled on what I want to say.

Buy a colour printer and do it yourself. I have got a Canon Pixma 4200. It cost under £60 on Amazon. There are 4 inks plus a large black. Inks are between £10 - £12 a pop. Well worth throwing the printer away and getting another at that price! Only joking. This printer duplexes.

It was so good that my better half got rid of her 6 colour Epson and replaced it with a Canon Pixma 4300.

In this day and age there is little sense paying a printer for a small run like this because of the printers that you can pick up so cheap.

The image should be good enough quality in that case. Avoid sending them just the Word file however because (as far as I can remember) Microsoft Word automatically compresses the images when you insert them. This is great to keep down on filesize but does nothing when it comes to commercial printing.

If it is just for 20 copies and you are in the market for a new printer then I would say to take that route. Any new inkjet with decent paper will make a good job of it.

Like Bigmouth said, the Canon Pixma's are getting pretty good reviews just now.