Sky+ charges stopping

Fifi

:o

but:

If I am a Sky customer but don’t have Sky+, how can I take advantage of this?

From 1st of July if you want Sky+, you can buy a Sky+ box for a one off charge of £99 with a 12 month Sky+ subscription, and an installation charge of £30.

So despite not costing me anything, it would cost me 130 notes plus a years overpriced subscription for a load of channels i don't have and don't want. :cry:

I was all excited there for a moment. Hopefully i'm not understanding the subscription bit fully. :?

As far as I can tell Nyugle you are reading things correctly.

I find that the best thing to do with Sky is to phone them and threaten to cancel your subscription. Say that you have had enough and that you are off to sample the delights of Freeview. 9 times out of 10 they will offer you something to keep you as a customer (Sky+ hint, hint, nudge, wink).

Worth a try at least.

Yeah best to fone mid-week njugle cos the "team" that deal with it are on a commission related to how many customers they keep and what deals they give away, start of the week they tend to be stingy and towards the end of the week when they are struggling to keep punters they tend to give away more.

I threatend to stop subscribing once and Sky offered to waive the £10 per month fee for the Sky+ recording function and dropped £10 a month off the main package subscription.

:o

but:

If I am a Sky customer but don’t have Sky+, how can I take advantage of this?

From 1st of July if you want Sky+, you can buy a Sky+ box for a one off charge of £99 with a 12 month Sky+ subscription, and an installation charge of £30.

So despite not costing me anything, it would cost me 130 notes plus a years overpriced subscription for a load of channels i don't have and don't want. :cry:

I was all excited there for a moment. Hopefully i'm not understanding the subscription bit fully. :?

Are you a current Sky customer? If so, then you're paying £x per month for your Sky subscription to get whatever package of channels you're on.

To get Sky+ you need a Sky+ box which is £99. Installation price is now £30.

It used to be "Subscribe to two or more of Sky Sports 1 and 2, or Sky Movies 1 or 2, and your Sky+ subscription is FREE. Otherwise, it’s just £10 per month." - http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/products/equipment/skyplus/howtogetit

We were on the full package and so we didn't pay the £10 a month. However, we've thought about reducing our package in the past, but it meant then incurring the £10 a month charge for Sky+, so it didn't seem worth it. Now you can reduce your channels and not incur the charge.

Yes, Sky's not cheap but Sky+ is fantastic. One of those things that once you've got it, you wonder how you managed before. The other posters are correct in that Sky are desperate to hang on to customers and will often offer special deals to retain you if you threaten to cancel. Some people say they want to cancel as they now can't afford it, or that they don't want the channels, etc etc. They might well throw in a reconditioned box for you or waive the installation fee, etc.

What we did when we got Sky+ was to get the old box moved up to the bedroom. I got a card for it so that we get the Free to Air/Free to View channels via Sky for nowt - we're not paying any monthly subscription for the bedroom box.

We're on a minimal Sky package, a throwback to having poor terrestrial reception, before upgrading our aerial and cabling to get Freeview signal from Bressa. Since then the Freeview box sees more general action than the Sky. So, given that we don't pay for any packages at present, just the basic subscription, it seem like the only way to get the +box free would be to threaten to leave. I have yearned for Sky+ on several occasions recently when, in the course of a normal week of limited interest, programmes have clashed and i can't be arsed with videoing. :oops: It also crops up when requiring tea breaks during movies or answering the phone in good programmes. Let's face it, i do want a +box.........free!

Good luck with it all, Njugle. Sky+ really is excellent and so easy and quick to use. I could never imagine going back to traditional recording. It would be a bit like going back to using phone boxes all the time after having a mobile. I'd actually be willing to pay quite a bit for it and don't regret having to pay to get a Sky+ box - it's well worth it! :)

I cancelled our Sky subscription ages ago and now use the equipment to receive all the freeview channels instead. No fancy Sky+ or such, but then I'd need new hardware for that anyway.

Charging £10 per month for Sky+ was a racket. They're basically just renting you a hard-disk recorder. Once you have the equipment, the service costs nothing for them to provide.

Sky were a nightmare to let me change my package to a less expensive one, they wouldent not take no for an answer and tried tonnes of deals which frankley were rather poor.

Plus they have some of the most rude people on their phones which phone you up and get in a hufff when you wont buy what they are trying to sell you, I have had them slam the phone down on me before.

Ah Sky sales reps!!

I remember when a new estate was built and I got one of the flats there. It wasn't long before the Sky rep was knocking on the door. He just wouldn't go away. He seemd to think that giving me something free for a month would mean that I would be snapping the pen out of his hand to sign up. Dick.

It wasn't until I used the word off as the second word of a two word sentence that he got the hint.