Shetland Bus

trout

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend see's the start of an inconceivable reconstruction of an heroic tale from the Shetland Bus era.

The tale begins in Scalloway with the departure of the Bus vessel 'Braatholm' fully crewed and heading back to Norway. En route disaster struck as she was spotted by a german patrol and as she was carrying munitions and resistance operatives she was doomed if caught. Tragically she failed to escape and was sunk somewhere around Tromso in northern Norway, and there begins the second phase of the story. Jan Baalrud was the sole survivor from the Braatholm and he accomplished a voyage to safety that is near unbeleivable without any support. He travelled overland, in late march, from Tromso to Sweden,via Finland. A feat of incredible endurance and heroism. Look on a map and you'll see what i mean. He is said to have crossed three bodies of water by swimming them along the way. Dipping one toe in the sea at this time of year is what most of us would consider heroic.

An English team are attempting a reconstruction of this journey after thoroughly researching the voyage through wartime records. The sea passage has been re-traced before,but no-one has been hardy enough to attempt the overland. A vessel similar to the Braatholm has arrived in Shetland from Norway, crewed by norwegian military, and they are soon due to depart.Good luck to them.

Keep an eye on the local TV news over the weekend, or maybe monday as John Johnson and co have been filming and interviewing the team and the vessel "Straumnes" before they set off.

Guest Anonymous

Wis dis in da STimes or on R Shetland last night?. I didna hear onything mentioned in da "coming up", an because I switch it aff eftir da news(which I did) if der nothing worth hearing I dunna ken if it was mentioned later. Onybody ken?. I saw nothing in da STimes eidder?. Shame - dey shoulda telt folk aboot it. Why did dey no???.

No, it wasn't mentioned anywhere.

As I say, there will be a good bit on the TV news though.

And they're away! Straight into the jaws of a force 7 north easterly gale! Madness! But, in terms of a re-construction, the real Shetland bus ran in all weathers, without mod-cons. So the Norwegian crew of the boat may well be paying homage to them, and giving the English team a taste of the real North Sea.

Rather them than me.

ps Oh yeah, reason for possible lack of local publicity: This is not part of any local tribute, it is a private mission undertaken by the English team.

Also! One of the guys there is said to be the son of the real person that the character James Bond was based on! How cool is that :wink:

And they're away! Straight into the jaws of a force 7 north easterly gale! Madness! But, in terms of a re-construction, the real Shetland bus ran in all weathers, without mod-cons. So the Norwegian crew of the boat may well be paying homage to them, and giving the English team a taste of the real North Sea.

Madness indeed, but they had a moment of clarity at 'the Roost' when faced with twelve metre waves and turned back! The storm had risen to severe gale 9 by mid-evening. Why they chose to go south is as vague as why they set off in the first place. Anyway, they returned to Scalloway and spent the night, under the request that those around did not alert the media to the fact as the last thing they wanted was the camera crew to return and report their aborted mission. They left again today, discreetly

Re; Patrick Dalzel-job, he was indeed some guy. It was his son Iain that was here.