What were your favourite childhood toys?

Play dough and the smell were amazing, but my niece was playing with it recently and I too was taken back a few decades, but the smell was a wee bit overbearing maybe it's just me gettin more sensitive in my old age!

Ker Plunk, Draughts, Snakes and Ladders,Happy Family cards Mr & Mrs Bun the Baker were my favourites.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to like those balsa wood aeroplanes (at least I think it was balsa wood) that were powered by an elastic band.

Remember those cabbage patch kids - freaky or what?

Another pocket money budget item were Action Jacks. I also vaguely remember having a small collection of Smurfs. :oops:

I had a baby rabbit that died on me and not wanting it's death to be in vain I kept it my toy box with my wee men. It was a great sparring partner for my rubber king kong but after about a week or so the old folks sniffed it out and promptly disposed of it.

Some folk have no imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

trees, scrap wood salvaged from the local lumberyard and nails. *sigh* i loved that treehouse.. corrugated metal roof, tire swing, cherry blossoms, fir trees in the distance.. outdoor carpet inside, windows, curtains, furniture made from rough hewn logs.... aaahh....

(ok, get back to work).

• 2 weeks later...

Mighty max were cool and puppy in my pocket. I like the corregrated iron sandpits out outside our house where we'd play desert wars.

Also we'd make see saws out of barrels and planks. Barrels were the number one toy. You could roll down the hill in them and make amazing gang huts.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my brother had stuff called Popoids. God how can I describe it. It was like stretchy tubes and attachments that you could make all kinds of strange monsters out of. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Lego has to be the best ever though. Still as popular as ever.

i winder if sheep sharn could be classed as a toy!!? :lol: me an me cousins used ta throw dry sheep sharn at een anidder in da park next tae da hoose, sometimes you got unlucky an got a cripsy on da ootside, soft in da middle wan. my family are awful prood o'me. :wink:

Does anybody remember the big wooden spools that used to be next to the fishmarket? They must have been used for wire rope (maybe hoist wires for cranes) or something along those lines. Anyway, I spent a lot of time down there walking on them as you would on a barrel - only they were about six feet in diameter.

I aslo used to use the big fenders as spacehoppers.

...an a'm hed me mony a sharn fecht i' me time! :lol: