St Ninian's Isle Treasure

Styles

Should the treasure have a permenant home in the new museum?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the treasure have a permenant home in the new museum?

• Yes
    • No

The fact is the scots and then the uk have been helping themselves to anything of value in our islandswhile at the same time trying to erode our identity this is not going to change any time soon unless the the people of shetland stand up and chuck them out unfortunately most folks believe we are not capable of this I for one don't understand this apathy. the islands to our north west have managed rather well as an independant state.

they have a very high standard of living a fishing industry that is thriving why not the same in orkney and shetland.

If this came to pass we could demand the return of all our treasures historical and maybe even get some real benifits from whats left of the oil round our shores. we would be able to bank enough money to live quite comfortably of the interest no more need for the sic chucking money away on hair brained schemes, or having investment consultants trying to make the most of a dwindilling pot while helping themselves to large fees for fu**ing up at every turn.

we owe it to the future generations of shetlanders to at least try an retain some of our natural wealth before it is all gone

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm afraid the things are a bit more complex. For illustration just two questions:

i) Shetlinker ex-isle uses the Sandness Pictish symbol stone as his avatar (turned by 90° compared with the original drawing). That stone used to be in St Margaret's Kirk, Sandness. Where is it? Officially it never left Shetland but is reported as lost and probably ended up in a private collection.

ii) The same is with the Sandness silver hoard of some dozen early medieval coins and Viking ring money. We know about that hoard because the then Zetland Sheriff had accurately recorded what was found. Again: Where is it? It never left Shetland officially but all we can see are two early English Ethelred coins in a private collection outside Scotland.

And thirdly: The fact that the treasure is placed "somewhere down in the basement" does not indicate any kind of disregard. It is simply due to the somehow "idiotic" but "modern" overall design and concept of the museum.

Simplified: Dark Age stuff into the dark - Modern Scotland into the light.

When I did my first book about Orkney & Shetland I had the chance to visit the "magazine" of the then National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. From that I guess only: If you want all that Shetland stuff back which is stored there you would need a new museum ... probably three- to foutimes bigger than the new venture actually is - just to keep it in the magazine there, not speaking about show rooms to make it available to the Shetland public ... ;-)

• 2 months later...

^^^ Would you still be saying it were a pointless debate *if*, instead of the status quo, someone had happened to lift that flag in the kirk floor 500+ years sooner than it was, and the items were currently housed in a Museum in Copenhagen or Oslo?

The point is, regardless of what happens, is, it has a right to be here, it has no right to be in Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Oslo or anywhere else. This is where it had resided for a very long time, and it's prior history is unclear so cannot rightfully be claimed by a prior owner before it was here. The fact it is in Edinburgh rather than Copenhagen or Oslo is purely accidental through the fact we just happened to be under the thumb of Edinburgh when it was found, and that had nothing to do with the will of Shetlanders, but everything to do with a handful of old "Monarchs" using people as a commodity and shunting populations around like pieces of a chess set in their own petty power plays and social climbing.