Ebay - ripped off by a Shetlander

Infiltrator

After years of buying and selling things I've finally been let down - bizzarely by a Shetlander....

My closest call till now was an asian chap from Birmingham who bought a radio scanner from me and the cheque bounced - I thought that would be it. I contacted him and he apologised, advised he was changing bank accounts and a new cheque arrived a couple of days later. Faith in Ebay and human race restored.

Now I've bought an item from someone in lerwick - okay, not expensive, but 5 weeks after winning the item, there's no sign of it. Paid by cheque (less than £5) and he had good feedback when I bought the item. Since I bought the item he's pissed around another couple of folk. Emailed him but no response.

Anybody know (*** mod edit - name and address removed ***)? - I'll be paying him a visit when I'm up through the summer.

Can't believe I've had no hassle with Ebay at all and them I'm let down by one of my own Islanders after always finding them so trustworthy.

Admin - Terms & Conditions[/url]"]1. You agree, through your use of the Shetlink website, that you will not post (or hyperlink to) any material or use language which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, inciting of violence, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or in violation of ANY UK law. Personal attacks, inflammatory posts, harrassment, impersonation and trolling will not be tolerated.

I bought an item (paid with paypal) off of Ebay from a guy who lived 4 streets down the up from me in Blantyre, 2 weeks later and still no joy so I knocked on his door and the item was hastily found. Mind you it helped that a friend was with me when I called round. There again it might have been something to do with his uniform (He was with the local nick at the time :D ).

The cheeky sod had the gall to complain to Ebay and Paypal about me!

His ass was grass when Ebay booted him out for being the chancer that he was :D

I've removed the name and address due to the violation of the T&Cs as stated above. I've sent you a PM about this, infiltrator.

I would point out that eBay horror-stories always have two-sides. It's unlikely that someone is going to outright rip off your deal on a £5 item.

Well, it wasn't me, I not in the toon, I'm so far sooth through the Ness falling over the end and casting up in the Fair Isle wouldn't be hard to do, and my name is ??????? ????????, not ???? ????

It bears saying though, that with a place like ebay, by way of a very rough average, a buyer can expect to have a purchase go sour in some way somewhere between once in every 50 purchases and once in every 100 purchases IMHO, if they're dealing with a fresh seller on every occasion.

It's an occupational hazard of using the place caused by the nature of the operation, you just have to factor it in as an "expense". It just makes the remainder of your purchases not quite so cheap as they seem at the time, but given the going rate for most stuff on there, you're still getting it at a steal even with an occasional "bad" purchase here and there.

I had a brief conversation with somebody a week or two ago about something similar. He was telling me a story about how he had been ripped off (along with many others) on Ebay. We discussed this for a short while before I said (tongue in cheek) that the poor sausage was probably lying in his flat, dead. It then brought a whole new perspective to the conversation. If you are dealing with an individual seller then this could easy happen. Even if they have close family who will fulfil the orders it is bound to take them a little time before they get everything else organised.

I am not insinuating that the OP has had a similar problem but it might be something to keep in mind when buying anything from small enterprises.

I understand that personal info such as a name and partial address would get deleted but what if infiltrator had just used the persons e-bay name?. Would that breach the T&Cs any more than posting the name of a shop that had given bad service.

When buying on e-bay I always read the item description at least twice, I look at feedback along with how long the seller has been an e-bay member as it is easy to push up your feedback by making lots of small purchases and I will not bid on items from sellers who have long lists of conditions that probably claim to deny you your legal rights. Also I will never buy from people who are prepared to sell something for a very low price but show some crazy figure for postage.

And one final "rule". I never buy something at a price I cannot afford to lose should the sale go wrong.

There was only once I thought I wasn't going to get the item from an ebay deal. I looked through the ebay website to see what to do in that case. I can't remember exactly where I found it, but was able to get the person's phone no via ebay. I phoned him up , gave him a bit of a sob story and he sent the item.