Horse and pony welfare

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horses are gonna be on roads and that is it.. its not as if Shetland council has got off their backsides and opened loads of bridleways is it...

Equestrianism in shetland is on the increase.... and there should be provisions for this, if poo on the road offends then the councils should put poop buckets for horse poo in strategic places then!! There hasnt been a legislation on horse poo on the road basically because they know that they cant. We are not allowed to ride on the pavements that was rightly pointed out by tlady. NOT everyone picks up their dog poo either MAY I ADD!

Remember RESENTMENT, INCONSIDERATION, IGNORANCE, INTOLLERANCE, IMPATIENCE and of course DOWNRIGHT TWAT BEHAVIOUR behind the wheel of a car when horses are around will not only get the rider and horse killed but yourself aswell.. have you ever seen the damage a horse can do to a car when hit? An impatient inconsiderate driver nearly killed my friend, and killed her horse... He had the attitude that she shouldnt be on the road aswell... a lot of shetland is the countryside .... EXPECT TO SEE HORSES!!!!!!!

I personally and i don't think anyone else was saying horses shouldn't be allowed on the road.. our objection is the fact they don't clean up after themselfs, when every other for of vehicle has to or should do.

How reasonable is this to happen though really, in principle, I think you are correct in what you are saying, but say you have a horse in lerwick and you ride into town past the pier and your horse takes a dump.. and you are on your own... what are you supposed to do? Get off, find a place to tie up the horse, leave it unattended whilst you run back to pick up the poo from the road, find a place to dispose of it and then get back on your horse again.. this is the reason why this hasnt been inforced because its not really all that practical I am afraid...

In the middle of the town along commercial street, there shouldnt be horses, people have to walk there and if your horse takes a dump then that isnt fair on the pedestrians that have to negotiate around it... or possible after a few in the pub step in it or worse fall face first in it..

Take this scenario for instance, you are walking along minding your own business and a horse and rider come along the road, you are out shopping and have carrier bags in each hand, she/he gets off and asks you to hold the horse, who isnt the calmest of animals whilst he/she runs back to pick up the poop... WOULD YOU DO IT????? nah, I didnt think so...

:lol:

I don't see how this justifies leaving horsey apples all over the place, DS3. If anything it's an argument for keeping horses out of the town all together. Surely it's the responsibility of the owners to find a way to solve this.

Shrugging at the problem doesn't absolve ones responsibilities.

Avid gardeners used to "relieve" us of all our manure.. especially good for the roses.

Maybe the towns gardeners should keep a shovel by the gate.. :wink:

Good thinking tlady, actually my neighbour got my horses poops out of the trailer... good for the garden... so help yourselves folks!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a thought... POLICE HORSES... they ride through towns and cities.. do the POLICE GET OFF AND PICK UP THE turd???????? Right then!

Maybe we should all get one of these then....

http://www.equisan.com.au/ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: gimme a break!

Just a thought... POLICE HORSES... they ride through towns and cities.. do the POLICE GET OFF AND PICK UP THE turd???????? Right then!

Since the filth believe they can break speed limits, beat up hippies, and shoot Brazilian electricians with impunity, I hardly think they're going to worry about cleaning up after their horses.

Since the filth believe they can break speed limits, beat up hippies, and shoot Brazilian electricians with impunity, I hardly think they're going to worry about cleaning up after their horses.

Exactly, so why should the normal rider do it?