Horse and pony welfare

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Mmm, quite!

I remember seeing a picture of a horse which had gone through the screen of what I think was a Mercedes A class. :shock:

It wasn't intentionally a passenger either.

http://lizditz.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/car_hits_horse_loses.jpg

was it this one that you were thinking of???? :cry:

Hello guys and thanks for looking at this post!

As a horse owner and rider in the town, I would like to pose a few questions to you....

I have friends who love horses and think that they can do no wrong. I also have friends who like them but don't want to see them or their droppings in the middle of the town!

There are those who understand that horses are a 'potential hazard' as stated in the highway code, and those that find them a complete nuisance and don't give any regard to their own, the horse, the rider or any other cars safety.

As a horse rider, at present I have no option but to use the Sound Brae, the Somerfield roundabout and Lochside as a means to go from a to b for a reasonable ride . I would prefer not too!

With a number of young horses arriving in Shetland and Lerwick and the bill being passed through parliment - No two abreast and no riding in cycle lanes (not really relevant), riders are in ever more danger of having a serious accident. (Riders going two abreast will help a young horse in unnerving situations).

So to my questions -

What are your opinions on horses in the town?

How can we get rid of horse pooh on the roads? (I would love to dismount, pick up the pooh and be done with it, but the logistics don't work like that!)

What solution (other than no horses in the town) do you have?

Would a dedicated route for riders be a solution? (This would not omit horses from the roads but would minimise them).

In anticipation

Flo

Constructive criticism/rants only please

Thanks for that... as a horseowner and rider, I have come across a lot of ignorance ... I have to ride round blind bends... on country roads... and having a young horse, it can be worrying.. there is no need for drivers to whizz past me....

I would like the council to put up a caution horse and rider sign as there are a few in the same area as me that has horses.... I have rarely seen signs that say this... If the council would prefer that horses arent on the roads in lerwick and surrounding areas.. then why not sort out some kind of alternative route for horse and riders...??? i.e bridlepaths??

If the council would prefer that horses arent on the roads in lerwick and surrounding areas.. then why not sort out some kind of alternative route for horse and riders...??? i.e bridlepaths??

This is kind of what I was asking a few (?) pages back.

Are there any useful "horse" routes that are physically possible to route?

From memory I would only see much space available round Clickamin Loch / Staney Hill, would bridlepaths there be useful?

Whatever bridle paths or riding there is or is not in Lerwick is of no personal use to me since I dont keep my horse near to Lerwick.. but I would like to see more for my fellow horsey peeps in the way of riding in the centre of town, even if it keeps the people quiet who bleat on about poo on the streets... The amount of rain that we get in shetland at the moment, I doubt the poo would be there for long! ..... I am sure the horse/pony owners in lerwick would much rather have off road riding than having to negotiate roundabouts etc and inconsiderate drivers...

I always thought that the council should get their finger out and put some kind of riding centre next to the clickimin leisure centre at the other side of the running track on that waste bit of ground... jeez its not doing anything, even an outdoor riding arena for peeps schooling their horses/ponies... its terrible that children are forced to ride their ponies on the roads... :roll:

On the subject of poo.. it would be interesting to find out how many fellow horse owners take the time to "poo-pick" in their paddocks/parks.... I must admit to being an avid poo-picker.. leaves a much nicer environment for the horses and is healthier for the land too.... :wink:

Darkstar III wrote

I always thought that the council should get their finger out and put some kind of riding centre next to the clickimin leisure centre at the other side of the running track on that waste bit of ground... jeez its not doing anything, even an outdoor riding arena for peeps schooling their horses/ponies... its terrible that children are forced to ride their ponies on the roads... Rolling Eyes

I seem to remember some sort of horse or pony ground with a few little jumps near to the South Road roundabout. What happened to it and can the council find a few pounds to replace it?.

Sorry DS3 but you say "...keeps the people quiet who bleat on about poo on the streets... The amount of rain that we get in shetland at the moment, I doubt the poo would be there for long". Maybe I'm being daft here but that seems to indicate you think this to be a silly point of view... and yet you're an avid poo-picker in your park because it "leaves a much nicer environment for the horses and is healthier for the land too".

So you'll pick up your horses poo in its own field but not anywhere else e.g. on a public road where cars, bikes and pedestrians have to try and avoid it? It's horrid to think of your horse stepping in poo but fine and dandy for anyone else to? Um... Wow :roll: I'm sure I must have that all wrong.

Wow :roll: I'm sure I must have that all wrong.

Yes... you do have it wrong... first of all... my horse is just a baby, and I havent really had her out much cause I have only had her a few weeks... but if I do take her out for a walk and she poops along the road from the field I do endevour to pick it up.. other than that, I dont go near main roads, or have my horse near lerwick.. I am not responsible for other peoples horses when they are out and their horses poop in the street.... :roll:

I would say, having driven bikes and cars that horse poo on the road isnt the nicest of things..

Yes... you do have it wrong...

Good'o :D

my horse is just a baby, and I havent really had her out much cause I have only had her a few weeks... but if I do take her out for a walk and she poops along the road from the field I do endevour to pick it up..

Great! It certainly didn't sound like it from your previous post but well done you for being a responsible owner.

I am not responsible for other peoples horses when they are out and their horses poop in the street.... :roll:

You mean you're not Chief of the Horse Police? Oops my bad :wink:

I would say, having driven bikes and cars that horse poo on the road isnt the nicest of things..

'ere 'ere