Brainteasers!!!!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queueing can indeed be spelled with or without the second "e".

So, three men go into a second hand shop to buy a TV set. They see one for £30 and decide to buy it.

They each pay £10 to the assistant, but just as they are leaving the assistant realises he has overcharged them, and that the TV should only be £25.

As £5 isn't divisible by three, he decides to give them £1 each and keep the other £2 for himself.

So each of the men paid £10, and got £1 back therefore we can say each of the men paid £9.

Ok, here we go. Three times nine equals £27. The shop keeper pocketed £2 which gives a total of £29.

What happened to the other £1?

There is no missing £1.

Each man originally paid £10, but each then got £1 back. They therfore only paid £9 each. In total they paid 3 x £9 = £27.

The £2 that the shopkeeper kept came out of this £27. (i.e. from the £27, the shop got £25 and the shopkeeper got £2).

Where is the other £3 that makes up the £30? Each of the three man has £1 change each, making £3 in total.

This is my son!

Find a rhyme for each word below so you end up with a familiar three-word phrase in the form "__, __, and __".

Example:

Clue = "Cook, Wine, Drinker"

Answer = "Hook, Line, and Sinker"

1. Won, Dune, Cars

2. Wed, Night, Two

3. Shove, Goner, Betray

4. Wraith, Soap, Clarity

5. Steak, Cattle, Sole

6. Find, Field, Shivered

7. Blast, Pheasant, Suture

Sure enough I had: -

I used to run a pub on top of a windswept hill. The pub was called the Cat and Fiddle. The pub sign swung in the wind and rain all year round and looked the worse for wear so I asked the signwriter to come and repaint it.

He could only get to it at a time that I was unable to be there but he was known for his skill so I felt happy to leave him.

When I got back from town he had done the job and left. I looked up at the sign and was horrified by the job that he had done so I rang him up and said the following: -

The spaces between Cat and AND and AND and Fiddle are far too big.