Hotel/Guest House/Hostel Reviews - share your experiences

scrutineer

From a personal point of view and my own experience I have to say that Hilton hotels are some of the most sub-standard grotty hotels I've ever stayed in!

The Watford Hilton being the singley most disturbing hotel experience I've ever had in the UK! :shock:

Sheeit smal rooms generally always cold and sometimes fairly grubby. Hit and miss if you'd have a dodgy smelling bathroom.

One occasion I had to go back to the bar with my pint no less than three times as the glasses looked like they'd never been washed and tasted like the pipes had never been cleaned... ended up going for bottled lager in end!

Staff were always of a flippant nature with no customer service and the whole place looked like it could always do with a lick of paint.

Unfortunately this was where we all got put up when down to London on work - the experience never got better!

I actually had the delights of London (overrated hole of ****) last month, hunted and hunted for some decent affordable accomodation, stayed at the Premier Inn Kensington, was mighty fine and handy with Earls Court tube station I see Travelodge do some good deals too, non refundable 15 nquid a night but no actually tried it.

• 9 years later...

Shetland certainly needs some better quality hotels but I think many are questioning the viability of it, certainly at this time.  

I have to say the photo montage I saw of the proposed hotel was horrendous.  It looks more like a prison  :cry:

Well I have never stayed in a hotel in Lerwick but been in them all. To me they vary a bit in "quality"  to be expected due to the age of some of them.

Price seems to be the biggest hurdle and I can only speculate that should a multinational chain of hotels get a foot hold in Shetland that this will have a detrimental effect on the existing hotels and also many bed and breakfast facilities.

We all know the affect the supermarkets have have had on the local shops, guess the same will happen to the hotels,but this will also have it's good points with regards to cheaper accommodation 

Possibly if the venture fails they could build a wall around it ,and convert it into prison :rofl:

Travelodge have said they are looking for a site in Shetland, so it wont be top quality if they take it on. But it would be affordable accommodation for country people that wanted to stay a weekend in Lerwick. Also may encourage more ordinary folk that can't afford the other hotels to come and stay. 

A national chain would certainly have an effect on established local businesses.  How much of an effect, I don't know but, introducing another "player" is bound to cause problems..

Personally, I think it is depressing that Shetland continues to haemorrhage it's wealth to another outside (dis)interest.

Personally, I think it is depressing that Shetland continues to haemorrhage it's wealth to another outside (dis)interest.

Yes Colin, this seems to be the trend not only in Shetland but within the UK in general, everything being sold off to outsiders with the result of course much of business is now owned and operated from elsewhere.

"selling off the family silver " and we have folk who think we could be independent. Independent with what!

I would say that if we were independent then, we should take it/them back in to local ownership or, at least, make sure that the profits stayed here..

The only way that will happen is if we (Shetlanders) are ever in a position to buy them back,or set up in business in direct competition forceing them out.

Cannot just take back what is not ours.

I would say that if we were independent then, we should take it/them back in to local ownership or, at least, make sure that the profits stayed here..

The only way that will happen is if we (Shetlanders) are ever in a position to buy them back,or set up in business in direct competition forceing them out.

Cannot just take back what is not ours.

Oh, and there was me thinking that independence was all about making our own rules, controlling our own assets and, setting our own taxes and. all for the benefit of Shetland

As far as I am concerned everything on Shetland is "ours" and the question of "ownership" would have to be discussed...

It's not ALL about fishing and oil, it's about controlling the "rape and plunder" of what is "ours" and could be managed/controlled by ourselves

eg;

One man (who's brother did not know what he did for a living) was at the forefront of the "keep Shetland ownership of salmon farms" brigade.  Just so happens that he was the first to "sell out" to a "foreign" company.

How many salmon farms and fish processing factories are now left in Shetland ownership?

"selling off the family silver " and we have folk who think we could be independent. Independent with what!

Fish and oil come to mind. The Faeroes don't have any oil so that would be a bonus for us. They do very well with the fish, though. We could be much stronger in that position, too.

With the prospects of the old Brevik site being developed into a hotel do we really need another hotel?

Is there enough business going around at present or in the foreseeable future to support this ambitious project.!  :ponders:

maybe theyve been promised a block booking from housing for temporary accomodation