Shetland's Island Games Team

tlady

A few weeks ago, here in Norway, we had a heatwave, with temperatures in the high 20'sC for about 5 days.

As a Shetlander, used to working in in temperatures seldom over 16C, to suddenly be doing a very hard manual job in such high temperatures, damn near killed me.

I take it your job involves working longer than two 3/4 hour shifts with a 15 min. break in the middle.

You were probably not allowed to get someone to replace you early either if you didn't feel you were able to continue working.

What is so different about Shetland footballers to those from, say,Western Isles who are prepared to compete in Rhodes ?

What is so different about Shetland footballers to, say, Carlos Riise who is cycling for a lot longer than 90 mins in Rhodes ?

I believe that a few of the better players could not go for one reason or another and the new management were not prepared to go with a weakened team.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 degrees in the shade at 1930 tonight (Phil Goodlad - Radio Shetland), well done guys, your decision to stay at home is probably right.

As for the managements decision not to travel with a weakened team, if thats so then it's completely understandable given the conditions and the expense of participating too.

These guys don't get their fares paid for by any means and if their forking out £800 - £1000 of their own money (ok i'm guessing that part but for Guernsey in 2003 it was £400) to go away then i'm not surprised at their decision.

Guernsey, isle of Wight and Isle of Man (all good footballing sides) haven't gone either for one reason or another but my guess is the conditions may have been a major factor in their decisions.

At the end of the day the Shetland football management have decided not to go, it's a shame they can't defend their title but i think that with the reasons given it's a totally understandable decision they've made.

If the report on Radio Shetland is anything to go by then it certainly sounds as though they've done the right thing!!

35 degrees in the shade at 1930 tonight (Phil Goodlad - Radio Shetland), well done guys, your decision to stay at home is probably right.

Dead right, If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Well done Claire Wilson. Gold medal in 1500m. 8)

She's still got 800m which she won in Shetland.

it also means that at the next games they will not be seeded so the draw will be much tougher.

Where did you get that nugget of information from?

Common sense.

Do you really think a team who chose not to compete at the previous games would be seeded before this year's semi finalists ?

Yes. Seedings are based on how good a team is. Take for example if Gibraltar and Rhodes don't go to Aland. Teams such as Guernsey, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, and Shetland did go. They would all be seeded behind some of the worst teams in the competition.

Maybe i'm wrong.....

And it'll be interesting to watch the group with Shetland, Isle of Man, Faeroe, and 'seeded team' Western Isles.

Could be medal hopes for Orkney with their seeding. :roll:

it also means that at the next games they will not be seeded so the draw will be much tougher.

Where did you get that nugget of information from?

Common sense.

Do you really think a team who chose not to compete at the previous games would be seeded before this year's semi finalists ?

There were no seeds for the draw. Fact.

Yes. Seedings are based on how good a team is. Take for example if Gibraltar and Rhodes don't go to Aland. Teams such as Guernsey, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, and Shetland did go. They would all be seeded behind some of the worst teams in the competition.

Maybe i'm wrong.....

And it'll be interesting to watch the group with Shetland, Isle of Man, Faeroe, and 'seeded team' Western Isles.

Could be medal hopes for Orkney with their seeding. :roll:

Faroe don't send a mens team, and are very unliky to again given as they are dining at the top table now.

Faroe won't be sending a mens or womens team again to the Island Games.

I see the Western Isles lost their semi final to Rhodes 1-0, a bronze medal is a realistic possibility for them.

A great achievment on their part to get so far in the competition, and to be in two bronze medal play-off matches two island games in a row.

I have been listening to the wireless da past few days to the commentry at Rhodes and it sounds such a shambles it makes me laugh its so bad. Cant wait to hear what they all have to say once they are out of Rhodes, dont think it will be back their for a while!

Guest Anonymous

^^^If the times are right, she beat her own games record.

Some feat considering the heat.

And well done to the Western Isles girl who won.

Faroe don't send a mens team, and are very unliky to again given as they are dining at the top table now.

I know. Was using a stupid example to make a point about seedings.

I wonder though, would they enter a team if the games were held in Faroe?

It is a shame that some parts of the organisation have been a bit of a shambles in Rhodes. But, well done them for hosting the games and no doubt doing their very best - as we did in Shetland a few years ago.

However, I find that comments by some of our sports people in the S.T. today quite amusing. Once more, we forget that in Shetland we are overprovided for and absolutely spoilt with sport provision!!!! Not every location - not even Rhodes - has the same infrastructure and facilities that we do here. I think that some people would do well to remember this!! Also....lets not forget that it is the 'island games' NOT the Olympics!!!

:wink: