Shetland's Island Games Team

tlady

Shetland won how many gold medals in the 2005 games? Ten if I recall correctly and I ask again, why are those who are, still bashing the winners of one of those medals for not going to Rhodes and not the others?

I think Wheesht, the answer simply lies in the fact that football is the most popular sport in the isles - You only have to look at the crowd in Gilbertson Park for the final two years ago.

I can completely understand the annoyance displayed on these forums by some, although I'm not sure I agree with it. The decision was taken for Shetland's Football squad(s) not to compete in Rhodes on "medical grounds" after getting "advice from the SFA". For that to be the case, then for another Scottish island group to play and finish with a medal, is a little disappointing.

I'd be interested to hear about the Western Isles team experiences - Can't you just post them on the boards? No need to quote a source, just keep it anonymous.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experiences?????

There over-riding experience would surely be that they won another medal. Obviously it was going to be hot and yes it wouldn't have been perfect conditions but they seem to have coped as well as they could. Come on Spencey7, as a man who was heavily involved in the football in 2005 you must surely have a strong opinion.

I heard Ian Manning on Radio Shetland last Friday night. He said that the heat wasn't really a factor provided there was a professional set-up. Was this him having a sly dig about the football team?

I can imagine some of the County boys are really glad they didn't go to Rhodes and are now off for 3 games in 4 days in the Highlands of Scotland. :roll: :lol:

Experiences?????

I heard ??? ???????? on Radio Shetland last Friday night. He said that the heat wasn't really a factor provided there was a professional set-up. Was this him having a sly dig about the football team?

He was the man that got the medical advice from the Scottish Football Association, that they acted on FFS!!!!!! Now he is a national hero?

How was the 'democratic' decision taken regarding the football?

Was there a large vote? If so, who did it involve?

Wasn't there but I know there were players, management, committee, team reps and people who had sought advice from the Scottish Football Association (see above) all at the meetings.

Final point. Given as so many obviously care so much about the game, and the state of it etc. There will be no problem getting the next commitees at both Junior and senior level in Shetland comes AGM time at the end of the season.

Cheers.

I was in Rhodes and spoke with many of the western isles football team at the airport on the way home; they coped no problem and were wondering why shetland wasn't there. They said that there was 2 min water breaks at both the 'quarter' points and obviously at half time. Its a no-brainer - if it is hot, you take precautions, hydrate, prepare, play the game at a slower pace. The other point the WI made was that they played 4 games over the week to secure their bronze. I got the impression that the Shetland SFA did not know about the water breaks and quantity of games. Don't know if that would have altered their decision though.

I got the impression that the Shetland SFA did not know about the water breaks and quantity of games. Don't know if that would have altered their decision though.

As far as I know they knew nothing of water breaks and the number of games would depend on the entry.

I think we've been down this road before Wheesht on other threads but we'll not start the committee recruiting drive just yet.

I'm assuming that you are a football person who obviously is very interested in the issues surrounding the Shetland game. What is your opinion on Shetland playing 3 friendly games in 4 days against Highland League teams? Do you think this is really a better option than Rhodes?

As for the 'democratic vote' it would be nice to hear from someone who was at the meeting. What happened and who was actually making the big decisions?

It is a shame that some parts of the organisation have been a bit of a shambles in Rhodes. But, well done them for hosting the games and no doubt doing their very best - as we did in Shetland a few years ago.

However, I find that comments by some of our sports people in the S.T. today quite amusing. Once more, we forget that in Shetland we are overprovided for and absolutely spoilt with sport provision!!!! Not every location - not even Rhodes - has the same infrastructure and facilities that we do here. I think that some people would do well to remember this!! Also....lets not forget that it is the 'island games' NOT the Olympics!!!

:wink:

It was a shame to hear some really rude comments about the islanders, being broadcast on the wireless, and the speed at which things happen in Rhodes. Shetland is after all hardly the express checkout of the Northern hemisphere - just try to get anything done here!!

It's just a bloody game!!

I'm assuming that you are a football person who obviously is very interested in the issues surrounding the Shetland game. What is your opinion on Shetland playing 3 friendly games in 4 days against Highland League teams? Do you think this is really a better option than Rhodes?

As for the 'democratic vote' it would be nice to hear from someone who was at the meeting. What happened and who was actually making the big decisions?

That's better straight questions rather than the, so far, snide digs at people who are only doing thier best and doing what they felt, I'm sure, was the right thing.

Now to answer your questions.

I think the tour is not a better option than Rhodes, they are equaly of little value for almost the same reason.

I think that the Highland tour is more than the squad they have at present is ready for, that would would also apply to Rhodes. Despite what some feel, sending lambs to the slaughter will do them no good at all.

There is a void to fill at senior level, there are young players coming through but the experiance and will among those who are being asked to fill boots appears not to be there at present. Numbers, both putting hands up for Rhodes and training numbers (I hear) are and were not good.

There is good work being done at all levels in the game, its is not doom and gloom by any means.

My preference now would be to get the senior management to look at what's coming through and start the process now of aiming towards Aland. It may well be that is what is happening and that this Highland fling is part of that plan. Get commitment from the experianced players now, those who won't ditch. Train a large squad to pick from, which would include very many juniors and even younger players (remember that 18 and 16 now is 20 and 18 then). See just who is commited to train hard, just like any athlete in any sport going to the games nowadays.

On your vote question, I know that all the team reps have a vote along with each committee member, as to who was actually there and who said what? Well there will be minutes and if a witch hunt is required then get your team rep to ask for a copy.

I thought the shetland team was playing 4 games in 4 days on the Highland tour. if that's the case, I'd say it's madness! 2 games would surely have been plenty. what state will the team be in comes the Sunday?

As for Island Games, I can't understand why the SFA advised Shetland not to go because of the heat. I'd have thought they should've issued the same advice to WI if it actually meant anything.

Wheesht, my apologies if you think i'm making snide remarks. Please don't take any of this personally. Just stating an opinion that the decision about Rhodes was a bad one. They fact it has been compounded by another bad one (the Highland Fling) is even more ridiculous. Especially if the 4 games in 4 days story is true. Good luck boys.

Also the 'witch hunt' is not likely to be something i'll pursue. Just wondered how the decision was made. I just happen to think if people look at the big picture then decisions of such importance should maybe be made by poeple who are better informed. Perhaps the fate of Shetland football lying in the hands of Team reps(whatever player or official could turn up on the night) is not the most desireable situation??

Perhaps the fate of Shetland football lying in the hands of Team reps(whatever player or official could turn up on the night) is not the most desireable situation??

No its not, half baked decisions made in isolation by people who have probably neither consulted their club nor heard previous opinion or debate. Clubs are very quick to forget that the committee is the clubs and that they are responsible at the end of the day for appointing office bearers and making sure they are happy that those essential volunteers are getting the support they need.

However, I do still feel that they are getting very unfair criticism about the Rhodes decision. Remember, they lost the hard core of experience from the 2005 team overnight including the entire management team and admin structure. My own perception is that it was the commitment of the players left and those coming in that led to that decision, cemented by the conditions and yes I do know they received the opinion of the SFA doctor and that was the final nail.

I still think it is poor that a football team didn't go to represent Shetland at the Island games, but thats in the past now, I just hope a team goes to the next island games.

My prediction for the winners of the next Island games football is the Western Isles.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see how they get on in the Scottish tour when they get humped.

I hear the excuses are coming out already. They are playing 3 or 4 games in a row and the teams they will be playing will be totally fresh !!

Typical footballers. :roll:

Weren't humped by the present Highland League champs anyway - Drew 1-1 with Keith last night!!

Maybe no need for excuses (yet)?