Terrorist Attack at Glasgow Airport

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on the BBC website, too. Makes me very nervous. Why Glasgow? It's neither the capital city (home of parliament) nor the wealthiest/most strategically important of/in Scotland.

All looks a bit amateurish, just a car with a burning rag shoved under an axle and the perps surviving what must've been meant to be a suicide attack. Their failure is good, 'cos it minimised casualties but might this mean a load of 'wannabe' terrorists coming out the woodwork and messing up their 'attacks'?

Am quite shocked by the statement on either BBC or Sky News' website that the public reaction was to restrain the men from the car rather than to administer first aid.

Am quite shocked by the statement on either BBC or Sky News' website that the public reaction was to restrain the men from the car rather than to administer first aid.

Probably a wise move really as you never know what they might do next. Nasty paper cuts all round :roll:

^^ Good point.

Am hearing that Glasgow is busiest Scottish airport especially this time of year with all the holiday charters but still seems totally random & amateurish.

Have heard speculation about links with the London car bombs yesterday and the recent fuss over the fella convicted for Lockerbie.

:? why would anyone want to give them first aid anyway? personally i'd rather they were finished off! help them to survive and they will probably try again :roll:

:? why would anyone want to give them first aid anyway? personally i'd rather they were finished off! help them to survive and they will probably try again :roll:

By surviving, they can be arrested, tried and put away for a long, long time. It will cost a lot of taxpayers' money but at least they'll face justice.

Or just not bother treating their burns. Assuming it was a suicide attack, these guys want to die so grant that wish. A slow, painful death from infected burns.

Heard on news24 one of 'em is in hospital, If I were a doctor/nurse, I'd refuse to treat the scumbag.

I just don't get this. Two guys in a car approach the airport, start a fire in the car, ram part of the building facade, away from the main entrance, then one pours petrol over himself and the car interior, while the other runs out and fights off those attempting to get the guy out of the car. The car also contains small propane cannisters which, contained within the car would take a long time to detonate and would be shielded by the car body from throwing shrapnel into the surrounding area. Even then, they wouldn't explode particularly destructively, as *ahem* any schoolboy at a beach fire knows.

What i don't get, surely this is more like a bizarrely dramatic political move than a terrorist one, the most this was ever going to achieve is disruption and singular martyrdom for 'disruption' and not 'destroying the infidels'. It seems to me either poorly thought out, poorly executed just plain dumb, or maybe just plain bonkers.

What did they hope to achieve and what cause does this 'suicide disruption' serve? :?

Yet again the enemy within. Its stupid that all the people that hate this country live here grinding it down and want to change it to their twisted version. If they hate it so much why dont they leave... because its far to liberal and easy here than any muslim country they may go to. I think its time to be heavy handed and screw any PC crap, the enemys here and waiting to cause death and destruction, lets root them out and destroy them.

It would seem that darker times lay await for us with these unprecedented tactics that were displayed at Glasgow airport, and foiled in London.

With the nation now on "Critical Alert" I can't help but wonder at the timing of this attack, given the recent appointment of Gordon Brown as PM.

There are no short term solutions to this situation, and I only hope that our new PM doesn't turn out to be another lapdog for Dubya. Our foreign policy needs to be seiously investigated and overhauled.

I notice the BBC still uses Iraq and Al Qaeda in the same breath when reporting from Iraq, but I was always under the impression that there was no proven link. If you repeat something enough times, then it is so. People cease to question it, and history is once again rewritten.

I often wonder about the actual scale of the threat in Britain. It is convenient for the government to have the nation living in a state of fear. I feel that we are in more danger of having our privacy stripped, and never being very far away from the watchful eye of Big Brother!

There are groups, I am not talking purely radical movements, who believe that not PC but human rights have gone too far in protection of the individual.

The news, I think it was the BBC, was comparing the IRA terrorism with the current, and described the former with a concrete intention while describing the latter as having no coherent vision, I don't really think this is true.

I would read the recent attacks, though inept and sloppy, as a message to the British people you have a new Prime Minister who was complicit in attacking our countries in the middle east, you are not off the hook, vote him in again and this will continue, IMHO.

Because of the reach and source of this type of terrorism locking down our country will make it more difficult for them but it won't remove the threat, that will only come trough a severe change in our foreign policy. until that happens we won't feel safe, not even from our own government.

I notice the BBC still uses Iraq and Al Qaeda in the same breath when reporting from Iraq, but I was always under the impression that there was no proven link. If you repeat something enough times, then it is so. People cease to question it, and history is once again rewritten.
Now there is a link, there are currently groups of Al Qaeda affiliated insurgents in Iraq, but they only entered after the invasion, that isn't mentioned much, sound-bite journalism may you die a slow and ignorant death.

scoobysue said

Why Glasgow? It's neither the capital city (home of parliament) nor the wealthiest/most strategically important of/in Scotland.

nope, but it probably had most children and families together in its airport going on holiday. Terrorists attack the soft targets strategically they'd hit the econonomy by attacking a large oil installation, Say - but that wouldn't terrify the average man in the street. Perhaps having independence would take us off the target list as well as scare away the oil industry - two sides of the same coin?