Suggestions: 'New' Shetland names for 'New' Things, please

ex-isle

Mobile Phone = Flitable Fone.

Bidet = ..... Hmmm, bettir no, if the swearin filter dusna destroy im, a Mod will. :wink:

Faerdiphone, laek Faerdimaet - for takkin aboot wi you.

That is like the Faroese word for Mobile Phone 'Fartelefon' from 'fara' to go, and 'telefon' phone.

And your suggestion referring to an existing compound word like 'Faerdimaet' is also the way most neologisms are created in Faroese.

So here is another suggestion:

Alilaks (Ali-Laks) = Farmed Salmon (ref. Alie, Alilamb) :wink: Faroese Alilaksur.

Mobile Phone = Flitable Fone.

Bidet = ..... Hmmm, bettir no, if the swearin filter dusna destroy im, a Mod will. :wink:

Faerdiphone, laek Faerdimaet - for takkin aboot wi you.

That is like the Faroese word for Mobile Phone 'Fartelefon' from 'fara' to go, and 'telefon' phone.

And your suggestion referring to an existing compound word like 'Faerdimaet' is also the way most neologisms are created in Faroese.

So here is another suggestion:

Alilaks (Ali-Laks) = Farmed Salmon (ref. Alie, Alilamb) :wink: Faroese Alilaksur.

Hmm. 'Aalie' means an orphan lamb, though - in other parts of Shetland known by the Scots/English? 'caddy lamb.'

Hmm. 'Aalie' means an orphan lamb, though - in other parts of Shetland known by the Scots/English? 'caddy lamb.'

I was thinking of the word 'Aalie' derived from 'Alidyr' domestic animal (reared for food producing) as in 'cage-reared salmon', while 'Caddie' seems to indicate a more affectionate description of a Pet' like a Hamster or a Guinea Pig.

I was quite suprised to learn that "Caddie" was not an expression used south. The closest I could find is "Cade", it suprised me as I always thought the adding of the "ie" at the end of words was a scots thing.

I think you're right, though. The CSD (Concise Scots Dictionary) gives caddie as a pet lamb - but it seems to be recorded only in Shetland, Orkney and (maybe) Aberdeenshire. The online SND Scottish National Dictionary (http://www.dsl.ac.uk/) gives more info - again, only citations from Sh and Ork, and it says:

Jak. compares O.N. “kati,†handed down as an epithet or nickname for males, and Caddie, n.1 Cf., however, Eng. dial. cade, cade-lamb, with the same meaning, O.Sc. cady, wanton, 1552 (D.O.S.T.)

Edit: under Kati, Jakobsen lists a few possible origins - probably guesses and too many for me to copy in here!

As you say, though, it is odd that a word with cognates in English dialects but not in other forms of Scots should exist in Shetland with an -ie ending, because Shetland is far less prone to adding 'ie' endings than Mainland Scots. (No 'wifies' or 'lassies' for example, at least not in the speech that I grew up with.) Actually, the only common Scots -ie ending I can think of in Shetland is 'pockie'. 'Crabbie' sounds like it, but Jakobsen considers this to be a fossilised Norn ending (Krabbi).

I suppose we could guess that the word was transmitted to Shetland via Scots, but didn't survive on Mainland Scotland.

I was thinking of the word 'Aalie' derived from 'Alidyr' domestic animal (reared for food producing) as in 'cage-reared salmon', while 'Caddie' seems to indicate a more affectionate description of a Pet' like a Hamster or a Guinea Pig.

Hmm. The word 'Aalie' isn't current in my area, but I always understood that where it is used it means the same as 'caddie' - ie, not domestic animals in general but specifically an orphaned lamb that you have to bottle-feed. Lambs wouldn't be kept as pets - they were only bottle fed by necessity. Jakobsen gives Ali as 'a young animal brought up in the house' or 'pet that follows one about', and Alilam as 'lamb reared at home in winter.' As 'caddies' were not normally reared in the house, and first-year lambs for 'settin on' were normally reared at home - though not in the house - in winter, it's not exactly clear what he means. Perhaps in former times people were more likely to allow farm animals in the house. Or perhaps the word once had a wider usage - as in the Nordic tongues - but is now restricted to orphan lambs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whin I wis a youngster wi ey hed aallie lambs in da lamihoose tae maet trow da winter, dis wis wir first-year lambs for 'settin on’ – nithin ata t’ doe wi caddie lambs fer less orphans. Dis is da wey wirds get shenged trow want o’ ose noo dat da aald croftin weys ir geen.

Anidder towt – my keenin o da wrid aallie wid be mair lek da English wird ‘cosset’ i.e. so tae aallie somting wid bi tae “Treat with excessive indulgenceâ€