Deflating Boy Racers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

an interesting approach

i'm sure that if it was to catch on it would have an effect but only with some - the ones that actually care what outsiders think.

a lot are only really interested in the tuning etc side and therefore the only people they worry about impressing is their peers in tuning so that approach would have little effect.

thinking about it , in some cases it could make it worse - theres nothing like a pi55taking gesture like that to provoke an escalation of a situation!

• 3 weeks later...
Not really into cars much.. prefer motorbikes... so pokey faced twats in jumped up cars dont impress me... maybe it is that they are over compensating for not being "gifted" in the trouser dept... who knows... :wink:

Easiest way to deflate them is to let their tyres doon! :lol:

what a well thought out and helpful reply :roll:

still to carry on the tradition of stereotypes..... what more could we expect from a biker and a horse rider!- usually the ones that jump up and down claiming everything is someone elses fault anyway :roll:

"look everybody - I overtook a car at high speed on a blind crest and got knocked off ..... and its all the car drivers fault!" :roll:

your representing two of the most selfcentered inconsiderate types of road users in one go there DSIII

^^

ultimately everyroad user can be a pain to another road users , its just a matter of being considerate.

some cyclists are bad but when its safety we're talking about, yes boy racers are a menace on the roads but when you look at the way bikers ride with agression and total disregard for other road users it really gets me to see a biker whinging about a boyracer ....... talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

While every 'boy racer' is perhaps, by definition, a nuisance on the road, the same cannot be said for every biker. There are a great many responsible bikers.

i'm sure there are - in every type of road user there are good and bad - as far as bikers go the ones that get noticed are the ones that come hurtling up behind you lights blazing and pushing to go through regardless of the road conditions, forcing their way through on the wrong side of the road of traffic jams and generally acting like they own the road.

its stereotypes of course ...... but then i dont think you'll find i was the first one to use stereotypes in this thread....... abd before anyone says it - i'm a bit too old to be called a boy racer..... i just get fed up with pots calling kettles etc

:roll:

Lithuania has an accident rate second only to Latvia with Poland coming in, in third place. Sad to say, but the majority of these accidents are caused by either boy racers or drunk drivers.

It's a nerve-racking experience driving over here, particulary out in the country where people overtake without looking and you're expected to pull on to the hard shoulder to let them through.

I don't know what the solution is, but I don't think waving your pinkie is going to do anything other than intimidate them and potentially encourage them.

Speed limits are there to be adhered to for everyone's safety. Maybe it's time to start fitting tachographs to all motor vehicles.

@scrutineer: Agreed. Wasn't suggesting that you'd been casting stones, or calling any kind of kitchenware a particular colour - just trying to hilight the difference between the terms 'boy racer' and 'biker'. The former intrinsically has negative connotations, the other covers all members of a group which includes responsible people and numpties. ;)

I don't know what the solution is, but I don't think waving your pinkie is going to do anything other than intimidate them and potentially encourage them.

Speed limits are there to be adhered to for everyone's safety. Maybe it's time to start fitting tachographs to all motor vehicles.

waving pinkies -

Totally agree there...... in fact I recall saying that in my first post

tacho's: in one way i'd agree but the problems on the roads are way way above speed. its the general levels of aggression, cutting people up , undertaking, driving in the wrong lane, - ..... the habit of every type of road user saying that everyone else is at fault not them selves......and lets face it we all do that dont we?.... this thread has proved hat :wink:

@fjool

TBH in my opinion, the term "boy racer" is just as abused as biker.

To give an example:

My son @ 18 and i have just finished totally rebuilding a mini ( a proper british one!), The engine is a standard 1000 but its got smart wheels , arches and we've done a lot of cosmetic modifications but ultimately its a 1000 mini. He has already been dubbed a boy racer just for having a car that looks smart - i've been keeping a close but secretive eye on what he does and have been happy with what he's driving like so that boy racer term is not justified.

And I can say that with authority ..... i'm heavily involved in motorsport in safety,organisation and driving standards and certainly know a bad driver when i see one! and theres no way id ignore him if he drove dangerously - he'd loose the car for a start!!

so you see the term boy rcer is also used to lump together guilty and innocent driver - just like bikers :wink:

and just for another example - remember the thread about the infamous "castrol car" ....... did he actually do anything dangerous? or was he just branded a boy racer for having that car??

Back in the 1970s, there was a fellow called Dave who worked in the draughting department in our firm, who rode in to work on a pushbike of some vintage. On his way in one morning, a Jaguar E-type pulled up next to him at the lights, and he looked casually down at it before the lights changed and both parties took off at their respective speeds.

The next lights had also turned red ahead of the E-type, so Dave thought he'd have some fun. This time he rode up and stopped on the driver's side of the car. The top was down, and Dave looked down at the driver and said, loudly and with feeling, "You B*st*rd!"

You could see the expressions change on the Jag driver's face as he thought back over the last stretch of road, not remembering having done anything to this cyclist. He looked back up at Dave, puzzled.

"Drivin' about in a nice car like that when I can only afford a pushbike," said Dave and, as the lights had just changed, pulled away ahead of the E-type.

Nice one, Dave! :lol: :lol: :lol: