Favourite "SIBC Moment"...

spencey7

Guest Anonymous
What ever happened to the "sea temperature at Wadbister Voe" reports?

I loved the Smirk cartoon about that. With the old man dipping his toe in the water and saying something like "Da sea temperature at Wadbister Voe is, Da ******* sam as it wis yesterday" :lol:

What ever happened to the "sea temperature at Wadbister Voe" reports?

I liked that pity it's no done anymore.

I remember the cat used to make a lot of unscheduled appearances in the '90's. Weel the wrongs buttons being pressed used to get blamed on the cat Rana or Rani I think it was.

I also remember a coulple of guys for a April fool fun phoning up and saying there were a school of blue whales in the Bressa soond which was duly broadcast and then he got a peerie bit mad about that.

The rant about the media when the Braer occured comes to mind.

He has had his moments.

I don't know what sort of reports he gets from the fire brigade but when you get a general report along the lines of, "A public toilet in Lerwick caught fire at the weekend. Lerwick Fire Brigade were called out and attended the scene within minutes. A toilet roll and half a toilet roll-holder were damaged in the fire. There were no injuries. Police enquiries are continuing.", you know it is gonna be a slow day.

When he has a cold or just sounds bunged up (nasally), I can't actually listen to him as I start feeling rather involved with his respiratory processes!

Is it me, or do his cold's go on for an abnormal amount of time?

My partner, a decorator, reckons he only has one record - Now That's What I Call a Pile of Junk Vol 43556" because, if you listen to him for a week, you start seeing a pattern in the playlist.

Fx

In SIBC's defence regarding the playlist, the songs are marginally less awful at times when the news is being recording live and Ian is actually "in the studio" so to speak.

I don't see the point in listening to "mainstream" radio anymore, 98% of everything on Radio 1 for example, is intolerable. But that's for another thread - Back to the news stories...

Which led me to:

"Sadly Ian's time on the station was cut short when the aerial mast collapsed. Some months later he returned to his home in Shetland and in 1974 became one of the team setting up Radio Forth in Edinburgh, first as senior DJ and then as Head of Music. In June 1976 Ian returned to freelance writing and broadcasting. He wrote The Radio Caroline Rock Record Collectors Guide (published June 1977) and other books. In September 1985 he established the Shetland Islands Broadcasting Company (SIBC) which is owned and operated by Ian and his wife Inga. SIBC started broadcasting in November 1987. (Many thanks to Ian for his help with the above and for the photo, taken on board the mv Mi Amigo in September 1973.)"

http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/djs7a.htm#ianders