Recycling?

JustMe

Been thinking about the glass and cans collection scheme (Limited to Lerwick and Scalloway at the moment?). Now I am putting all my glass out for collection and I am keeping all my beer cans until there is a bag full....most of my beer is bottled. At the start of the scheme I got blue and green plastic bags for my recycling and later on I got another batch. Ouestion has to be how do I recycle the unused bags or will I find that one day I no longer have space under the sink for them.

I do recycle black bags.....spares at the end of the year are given to friends who need them.

Am I less envoronmentally friendly if I drive 2 miles to the bottle bank, as opposed to staying at home and just dumping all the bottles and cans in the black bags to be picked up by the essy kert ?

Does it cause more damage to the ozone layer if I cycle 2 miles or drive 2 miles ?

• 2 weeks later...

Will someone please tell me the net saving in energy expended and the reductions in emissions created, between driving a truck around the place collecting old glass, then cooking it up in a furnace to make some other glass product from it, and simply cooking it up from the sand fresh.

Or, in our case, the net energy savings and reduced emissions between driving a truck all over place collecting it, and then putting it through a crusher, only to make paving slabs from it, and simply having a truck run out to the Scord or Brindister and back for a load of chips to make them with.

I cant believe Lerwick doesnt have wheelie bins.

Where I used to live, we used to have colour coded ones to make it simple.

Also this would mean Scorie's/cats would'nt get into your rubbish. And we all no they do regardless if the nets on or not.

To many lanes, hills and old folk for the handling of those I doot!

Could they no hiv wheelie bin for those that want them, And just baal ony black bags in the back o da kert lik usual?

Bins would need different essie kerts as I understand it. They need those bits at the back that hoist the bins in.

Wan or da idder I doot!

Lets treat the cause rather than the effect. Every time I go to the chemist for my pile ointment it comes in a tube, which is in a box, which they then put in a bag and stick some tape on it.

Obviously its not really pile ointment, but Ibuprofen would have had less comedy value.

Lets have less packaging in the first place.

Lets treat the cause rather than the effect. Every time I go to the chemist for my pile ointment it comes in a tube, which is in a box, which they then put in a bag and stick some tape on it.

Obviously its not really pile ointment, but Ibuprofen would have had less comedy value.

Lets have less packaging in the first place.

Agreed.

There are a lot of things people can do to reduce and re-use rather than recycle.

The average supermarket visit must generate about a cubic foot* of plastic bags. This is totally unnecessary when you can get those tough re-usable ones. Or just take a back pack for smaller shops.

*I never, ever exaggerate.

McFly! you have beaten me to it. Supermarket shopping I do with a backpack, one of those 10p co-op bags is used for going to my local shops and often impulse buys are brought home in a pocket.

I see I have not exactly been clear about the glass and can collection. When it started I got a supply of green and blue bags delivered and 6 months later another delivery (or was that a year later?). If this carries on I will have a large quantity of bags that are no use for bruck and a bit overly for doggie poo and I would feel uncomfortable sending recycling bags to the essey cart. Ideas anyone......but please not SIC hiring a consultant to solve my problem.

I am one of those that do my shopping using a rucksack (and walk home), although I am doing it to try not to dilute the manliness of the Shetlanders (see Shetland Times letters page). When I do take a plastic bag I use them for packaging material when I am sending fragile stuff south.

Whenever shop assistants ask me if I want a bag I normally whip one out of my pocket and say, "no thanks, I knew that I was coming shopping so I brought one with me". It gets some odd looks but it puts a point across.

Its just like people dithering around, holding up the supermarket queues trying to find their debit card to pay for their groceries. They knew that they were going to have to pay when they were queueing so why didn't they get it out then? Perhaps that should be in the pet hate thread!

• 1 year later...