Death Penalty

Should we reintroduce the the death penalty?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should we reintroduce the the death penalty?

• Yes
    • No

why should anyone be given the right to get off easy, death penalty is just what most of these people would want ( especially suicide bombers ) torture them for the rest of their life is what they deserve imo

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One part of the debate is certain - the death penalty does work in that an offender who is executed will never do it again

as opposed to one that's locked up for a few years , then let again to reoffend

how many times have people been released to commit yet more times?? and how long before they stop them properly? we dont need these "people" and we certainly shouldn't pay for them to be kept alive

why should anyone be given the right to get off easy, death penalty is just what most of these people would want ( especially suicide bombers ) torture them for the rest of their life is what they deserve imo

well i suppose i could be convinced by the torture option :)

any methods you can suggest? - i thought peel them and dip in salt or maybe chilli powder :twisted:

the death penalty does work in that an offender who is executed will never do it again

I would quite like to slaughter many of the gits out there that piss me off, I'd probably include a few of those to stupid to live types that get me grinding my teeth daily, every single tele marketing operator and anyone who works in clydesdale bank, their familys, friends, pets, etc, but I just wouldn't feel happy about anybody as incompetent as the police and politicians saying who, where and when

I mind reading that if the body is desecrated they cant get to heaven, so i thought after death smear them with pig fat and other "unclean" animals and throw a pig in an unmarked grave somewhere to stop them getting their virgins and luxury they think they are heading to.

If these nutter think they will go to paradise then they must belive in "unclean" animals as well as its in their holy book.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/57793

We could maybe stone them to death or try chopping their heads off with a rusty knife as well to show them some of their religion in action before we dump them and their pig in a forgotten pit and cover it up forever.

Enough! You folks should be embarrassed with yourselves:

Admin - Terms & Conditions[/url]"]1. You agree, through your use of the Shetlink website, that you will not post (or hyperlink to) any material or use language which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, inciting of violence, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or in violation of ANY UK law. Personal attacks, inflammatory posts, harrassment, impersonation and trolling will not be tolerated.

Blood lust is to some extent present in all of us, but fortunately most of us manage to repress it, or turn it towards more creative ends - actively taking part in sports, sitting around in boxers (beer in hand) passively taking part in sports, etc. - or slightly less creative but nonetheless harmless activities - watching horror movies, zapping aliens on the Playstation, etc.

This call for the death penalty, or latterly torture, is I think nothing more than a primeval desire for an event along the lines of the gladiatorial games, and all in the name of public entertainment.

The death penalty is bad because:

1. As I've previously mentioned, the effectiveness (or lack of) of the judicial system

2. Rare cases where prosecutors knowingly convict the wrong person

3. Race can be a factor in determining who gets the death sentence (just look at the stastics from the good ole USA)

4. It's morally wrong. Two wrongs do not make a right.

To quote Mahatma Gandhi - An Eye For An Eye Will Make The Whole World Blind

We could maybe stone them to death or try chopping their heads off with a rusty knife as well to show them some of their religion in action before we dump them and their pig in a forgotten pit and cover it up forever.

Seems a little harsh for parking on a double yellow line...

I think you are belittleling the type of crimes being discussed here. ^^

If someone is prepared to attempt/do a murder then they should be prepared to suffer if/when caught.. sitting in a cell for the rest of their life is not what i call suffering. my opinion and I'm sure not everyone thinks like me. in the same way Death penalty seems to be a bit of a let off ( ofc it depends on what you believe happens in the after life ) in some way i would rather see them in a cell for the rest of their life than letting their mind/soul escape a period of thinking about what they have done.

taking the ones that tried to bomb Glasgow airport.. at least 2 of them are know for definite to be involved.. i would have no problems with them being put through some form of torture as a punishment weather it be mind or physical torture is up to the courts.

Well, i've had many long debates on this issue being a huge supporter of the death penalty.

People often describe it as a "knee jerk" or "revenge" punishment, whilst this I feel the complete opposite. For me the "knee jerk" reaction is that killing someone can never be right, however after careful consideration the death penalty makes so much sense.

The original question and idea of the thread was which crimes it should apply to. A good question, and one which shows why the death penalty was undoubtably wrong in the past, but is however much more appropriate today.

So many cases of severe abuse and violence are recorded these days that all doubt can be removed, in these cases there is no question that the death penalty is appropriate.

I do understand the view that it can be considered a "let off" or "easy way out", but surely the single most important issue is the removal of these people from society.

I think you are belittleling the type of crimes being discussed here. ^^

No, I'm just not convinced that attempting ( and failing ) to kill people with a car loaded with gas cannisters is a crime that should be treated in a radically different way to, say, armed robbery or child abuse.

If someone is prepared to attempt/do a murder then they should be prepared to suffer if/when caught

It depends why we, as a society, mete out punishment. Personally, I don't see how deliberately inflicting suffering of any kind is justifiable. Prison is primarily intended to stop the offender from re-offending, and to act as a deterrent. Condoning torture of anyone puts you the same moral class as those you seek to torture. State-sponsored or otherwise, killing and torture of anyone is wrong.

How about the situation where someone has killed in self-defence? By accident? When mentally ill? Should these people be tortured to suit your desire to see people suffer? What good does causing extra suffering do? It doesn't bring anyone back or reverse the crime. You can torture them all you like but you're not going to have any kind of chance of rehabilitation after this - you will still need to either kill them or keep them locked up forever.

All torture does is attempt to satisfy your need for vengeance, and nothing to mitigate the damage already done, nor reduce the chances that someone else will attempt the same kind of crime.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised. Never figured you for a thug, Twerto.

:oops: for me , the comments about torture were made as a reaction to being told our opinions were barbaric,bloodthirsty or similar to and were made to demonstrate what barbaric really is

quite honestly my belief is still that the death penalty, in cases of extreme crime with no doubt of guilt would be a huge penalty.... but of course i would have it done nicely :wink: