Lerwick Celtic - the future Delts? any thoughts?

zab-judah

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope cause they will lose a lot of players to university.

thistle had very dominant under 18s teams 7/8 years ago that pretty much won everything but the problem was so many of them went to university and stayed away. david mcbain, anthony kerr, chris carter, michael urquhart, graeme gibson, andrew gifford, andrew miller to name just a few.

this will also happen to celtic, plus they will also struggle at start of season.

There's no doubting that when Celtic are at full-strength they are very difficult to play against - I would go so far as to put them in the same bracket as "The Big Two".

That said however, Commodore is 100% right. University is, and will continue to be, a big problem - Especially with the season starting in mid-April.

Thats a very good point actually. They seem to have made quite a bit of progress though this season, even with most of there starting 11 away at Uni. There is still a possibility of them finishing 2nd, only 5 points off whalsay. Whats the scores been between them and whalsay in the league so far anyway?

Celtic do have many good young players. And many coming through.

But I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying they are in the same bracket as "the big two." Even with a full team they are unlikely to challenge either of those sides. And Scalloway and Whitedale would not be far off, if at all, their standard in my opinion.

"Big two"? What "Big two"?

In my opinion there is only really one big team and thats delting, i wouldn't consider whalsay to be a big team at all anymore and i would definitely say the likes of whitedale and celtic are just as good if not better in some respects. They play some great stuff celtic, probably play as good passing football as delting and do so at pace, probably down to the fact that they have all played together all throughout the juniors at rangers and at junior county level with robbie simpson. At they same time it seems that when they play poor, then they really play poor. I hav to agree that i don't however see them becoming the team they have the potential to be through Uni and other aspects.

Town teams will also always lose some of their players to other town teams. As Celtic get stronger then the youngsters won't get then chance so soon, and it's easy for them to move to another side.

Penfold made the important point that good junior doesn't mean good senior. Every side has players who were average juniors, even Delting. It's these players that the town teams will lose.

Perfect example is the prolific Alan Davidson. I'm sure he didn't play junior county - he was a midfielder at the time - but look how good he is now as a striker. If he was at Rangers/Celtic at 18 years old, would he have got a game?, and would he have waited in the 'B' team for his chance?

I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying they are in the same bracket as "the big two." Even with a full team they are unlikely to challenge either of those sides.

I didn't mean they were as good a side as Whalsay and Delting, just that the football they play is as difficult to defend against - they're an incredibly quick attacking team. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I've got to disagree about Whalsay I'm afraid ENZO - When they are full-strength I believe they are a match for Delting.

• 1 month later...

I would say Whalsay are going to be the team to take on the Delting mantle in a few years as i reckon most o there players will stay in the isles. Unst did really well to win the Under 21's parish cup but they too may struggle with boys going away to uni or just south generally for work.

But this is always a difficult one to predict as other factors such as injuries, lack o interest, alcohol abuse! etc. can make a good junior side fall apart at senior level.

• 2 weeks later...

Delting will be the new Delts!!

They already have introduced two or three quality youngsters and still won. What the manager now has to do is play a few more while the experienced lads have still got it. They can afford to drop points as Celtic, Whitedale, Thistle and Whalsay will all beat each other next season.

• 10 months later...

Delting will be the new Delts!!

As I did not have a game on Friday I took in some of the Delting - Thistle game. Delting must have had 4 or 5 first choice players missing and still won!! They played three or four youngsters who were able to hold there own due to the excellent support they got from the senior players. Delting played like they were scared of losing not like everyone else who plays to win. They also played a couple of 'Squad' players in the fullback positions, who on there perfomance on friday would make it in to any other team in the County. The right back, Martin Binns, looked the second best right back in Shetland.

Each youth system only needs supply one good player to the A team each year for an A team to maintain a high standard. The core of the Delts will be around a few more years which means they just need to add a player each year. Frazier Hall this year, someone else the next.

Went to watch the thistle v delting game Friday, and have to say that Delting kept working and doing the right things they didn't panic even when Thistle drew level at 2-2. The more experienced players led by example and they kept getting the ball into the area's where they were hurting Thistle and took the chances they created.

They certainly were missing some 1st team starters but those who came in did what was required, nothing fancy just steady simple football, with a steel and determination that get you through the tough times that all teams have.

Watched the Delting v Unst parish cup game the next day and it was the same kind of performance, and consistency is whats wins you Leagues.