Lerwick Celtic - the future Delts? any thoughts?

zab-judah

Delting will be the new Delts!!

As I did not have a game on Friday I took in some of the Delting - Thistle game. Delting must have had 4 or 5 first choice players missing and still won!! They played three or four youngsters who were able to hold there own due to the excellent support they got from the senior players. Delting played like they were scared of losing not like everyone else who plays to win. They also played a couple of 'Squad' players in the fullback positions, who on there perfomance on friday would make it in to any other team in the County. The right back, Martin Binns, looked the second best right back in Shetland.

Each youth system only needs supply one good player to the A team each year for an A team to maintain a high standard. The core of the Delts will be around a few more years which means they just need to add a player each year. Frazier Hall this year, someone else the next.

Delting good youth system? You clearly haven't been paying attention to their results at 14's, 16's and 18's level.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delting will be the new Delts!!

As I did not have a game on Friday I took in some of the Delting - Thistle game. Delting must have had 4 or 5 first choice players missing and still won!! They played three or four youngsters who were able to hold there own due to the excellent support they got from the senior players. Delting played like they were scared of losing not like everyone else who plays to win. They also played a couple of 'Squad' players in the fullback positions, who on there perfomance on friday would make it in to any other team in the County. The right back, Martin Binns, looked the second best right back in Shetland.

Each youth system only needs supply one good player to the A team each year for an A team to maintain a high standard. The core of the Delts will be around a few more years which means they just need to add a player each year. Frazier Hall this year, someone else the next.

Take it your a Delting fan? I think calling Martin Binns the 2nd best right back in shetland is going abit over the top.

Even though Delting have a quality A team, the youth system is far from good. The Delting 16s have been thrashed every game, scoring about 8 goals in the process. The 18s have played 5 games winning 1 and losing 4. They can barley field a team every week. They even got humped by a very poor Ness under 18s team. And last but not least, the under 14s get beat about 16-0 every week so its not looking all that rosey at Delting at this moment in time.

I am not claiming that Mr Binns is the second best right back in Shetland football. I said on Friday he "looked" as if he was. My point being, that when called upon, that Delting have squad players who can do a very good job and as long as they have two or three County standard players in the middle of the pitch they aren't going to lose the title anytime soon. In the second half he was solid and gave nothing away. He used his experience to make sure Delting did not get pegged back.

As people have stated, a dominating 18's team does not lead to a good A team due to Uni, beer etc etc. But all a youth system needs is one player each year good enough who goes onto the A team. My point is Delting do not need four Frazier Hall's for the next three years, they just need one each year going into a winning and united environment. Something Lerwick Rangers, with all their talent, has been unable to do. As Celtic are not always expected to win and are more arrogant than united. As I witnessed at close hand last night.

Delting ta be the new delts? you are having a laugh. The delting youth teams at the moment are diabolical. Under 12's right through to u16s have finished tournaments bottom with alarming regualrity in recent years. And even though 1 player a year from youth doesn't sound much, It would take a miracle to get 1 good player in the next ten years judging their youth sides! They don't just lose, they lose well. They're lucky to avoid double figures.

Whalsay will take over Shetland football in my opinion. Their strength in depth is unreal. Even their "b" team would compete well in the A league. They also don't have such a problem with players moving away as so many of the players can make a living staying in whalsay.

Whalsay will take over Shetland football in my opinion. Their strength in depth is unreal. Even their "b" team would compete well in the A league. They also don't have such a problem with players moving away as so many of the players can make a living staying in whalsay.

Thank you for your optimism regarding Whalsays future Mr Gervais!

Seriously though, i don't believe anyone will be the "New Delts" or at least not in the immediate future. In any case I don't think anyone should be writing off the Delts yet as their league form shows that they are still strong favourites for the league this year and although a few of their better players are the wrong side of 30 they have a good few years left in them yet. If they're not winning the league over the next few years you can rest assured they will still be there or thereabouts.

What i see happening is a far more competitive league and local scene over the next few years. Spurs have beaten both Delting and Whalsay this year, Thistle have also had their moment against Delting (Madrid Cup) and took us to extra time in the Manson Cup. Celtic too have obviously cemented their progress with silverware this season.

The gap between the rest and Delting appears to be closing (this year at least) and maybe now the majority of teams feel that on their day they are capable of getting a result off them rather than feel as if they're turkeys lining up to be shot at?

For the record though - i can't see past ourselves being Deltings biggest challenger over the next couple of seasons but from what i've seen so far this year Spurs (and not Celtic) have been the team who have impressed me most!

i think it is important to realise that there are alot of good young players in shetland at the moment, every team in the A league have a few. I think this shows that the future is bright for shertland in general!

Last year Unst won the under 21 Parish cup, yell have reached the final of the parish cup on a couple o recent ocassions, celtic are winning cups etc.

However, sometimes having a experience in the ranks alongside the youngsters is the way to go, and delting at the moment have that experience and they are blending a few youngsters into there team as well, these may not be the top young playerrs in shetland at the moment but playing in an experienced teram can only benefit them!

(personally i think gervais may have been being a little harsh on their youth system, they do have a few descent young players)

Delting have st the bar high over the past few years and the other teams are now slowly bridging that gap and that is a good thing for football in the islands at the moment.

External factors hinder teams with young players, ie university and moving away to find work, this is where delting are lucky as they have a had a strong, set team over the years and they have blended well together and i suppose it is all credit to themselves

Great point about mixing youth and experience bax. This is absolutely vital. In my opinion this is the main reason why Delting and Whalsay play so well again and again. The key being consistency.

Many of the challenging sides are too young, and even though they can give both teams a great game on their day, they just can't do it regularly enough.

and from u12, 14 and 16 i certainly am not being harsh Baxter! In fairness, the 18s do possess a few strong players.

Great point about mixing youth and experience bax. This is absolutely vital. In my opinion this is the main reason why Delting and Whalsay play so well again and again. The key being consistency.

Many of the challenging sides are too young, and even though they can give both teams a great game on their day, they just can't do it regularly enough.

and from u12, 14 and 16 i certainly am not being harsh Baxter! In fairness, the 18s do possess a few strong players.

I totally agree with that post. Delting 12s 14s and 16s are just getting hidings every week! If they are able to get the score to 3 goals between them they've done well. The 18s have afew strong players yes, having 2 players in the inter-county with 1 starting. But the lad that was starting doesn't even play for their senior team, He's playing for Mossbank FC. But they are just not as good as the other youth teams at the mintue at all levels!

The teams that are challenging the top two at the moment are on the young side but if their clubs can keep them together then they will only get better with the experience.

The point about just needing a few players through from your youth system is a relevant one, but you need numbers and quality coming through, if there is only one two per year you cant rely on that. Of the Under 18's team we had in 2001/2 it had around seven potentially good senior players in its ranks of that 7 only two have played regular A football for us this year.

If the quality isn't coming through in numbers then it will eventually come to haunt you, if the one or two players get a serious injury or decided to go to uni or work south after they finish uni then you end up fielding players that are not of a good enough standard for the competition.

I have not seen the Delting under 12's but have seen their 14's 16's and 18's and they have a lot of work to do to produce the numbers and quality they have previously enjoyed. Its not to say they cant turn it around with the younger squads but I would be concerned with the lack of talent coming through at those levels.

Yes Celtic have a good crop of young players but we have been saying that for a couple off season now. There game against Whalsay last week proves that they are a good bit away from Whalsay and Delting. Yes they can raise there game and win a cup final but to win the league you need to do that week in week out which is harder to do with young players. I think they are the type of team that at the moment could influence the league in where the title might go rather than be champions themselves. But if they keep the core of there squad together you never know in a few years time.

Every thing goes in cycles and teams have dominant spells its what you do when you are on top. Delting are on top at the monent and it will be harder for them the longer they are on top as you don't want to fall from the top. As someone else said they play more like they are more frightend to lose than disire to win. Scalloway, Whitedale and Thistle all had long spells as the top team and it will change again.(sorry if I missed any team out I don't have Jim Petersons book handy).

So no I don't think they are the future Delting team but you never Know.

I agree with Gervais on this one. The Delting youth teams are not looking to promising although about two years ago it was them and Ness that were the two top 18s teams. I think that alot of the players have either quit or joined other teams since then and alot of that is due to the current strength of their team in in A's. I also agree that Whalsay have quality coming up through their age groups.

At the moment though, it's teams like NESS UTD that are dominating the youth leagues. This can only be a sign of things to come.

Now boruc calm down, you may be correct that the under 14's and under 12's and 10's are doing well, but our under 18's and our under 16's are harldy setting the leagues alight.

You stick to concentrating on keeping your contact lense's in on Saturday and leave the predictions up to the big boys :wink: