The sky at night (meteors, Iridium flares, the moon)

Colin

:( Missed them last night.

"World to see biggest full moon in two decades"

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110309/tsc-world-to-see-biggest-full-moon-in-tw-98fda55.html

"The world is set to experience the biggest full moon for almost two decades when the satellite reaches its closest point to Earth next weekend.

On 19 March, the full moon will appear unusually large in the night sky as it reaches a point in its cycle known as 'lunar perigee'.

Stargazers will be treated to a spectacular view when the moon approaches Earth at a distance of 221,567 miles in its elliptical orbit - the closest it will have passed to our planet since 1992.

The full moon could appear up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter in the sky, especially when it rises on the eastern horizon at sunset or is provided with the right atmospheric conditions.

This phenomenon has reportedly heightened concerns about 'supermoons' being linked to extreme weather events - such as earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis. The last time the moon passed close to the Earth was on 10 January 2005, around the time of the Indonesian earthquake that measured 9.0 on the Richter scale.

Hurricane Katrina in 2005 was also associated with an unusually large full moon.

Previous supermoons occurred in 1955, 1974 and 1992 - each of these years experienced extreme weather events, killing thousands of people.

However, an expert speaking to Yahoo! News today believes that a larger moon causing weather chaos is a popular misconception."

This phenomenon has reportedly heightened concerns about 'supermoons' being linked to extreme weather events - such as earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis

This article is pretty shoddy. Since when are "earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis" weather events? :( :!:

Btw, I went to school with Dr Tim O'Brien, one of the experts referred to in the article. Small world, eh?

jz- Wow! it is Small world indeed!

Tim presented a programme behind the scenes at Jodrell Bank http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7857207.stm

{Sadly I couldn't watch it, as I dunna have the right Flash Player or something :(

I would have loved to have got the chance to visit Jodrell Bank, gazed wistfully every time I drove past...

Did anybody notice the unusual and beautiful 'halo' around the sun this afternoon? Almost like a circular rainbow. What causes that?

Interestingly, a lot of people think the moon's just up at night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7857207.stm

What people? blind people who are extremely cynical about any details that they have heard about close by orbiting bodies and three year olds?

Or are they just open-minded people who can see through the lies peddled by Establishment Science? Why are online stooges, such as yourself, so insulting towards those who hold opposing views - what have you got to hide? To understand why successive governments are so eager to dismiss the notion that the Moon only comes up at night, you have to figure out who benefits by following the money all the way back to the late 1960s when the supposedly dead JFK faked the Apollo Moon landings... (cont. on p93)

Is the moon made of green cheese?

(the scientific evidence)

The landings of Apollo 11 and Apollo 12 on the moon sent shock waves through the moon's surface, which were detected on a seismograph. By measuring the speed of shock waves through rock (known as the seismic velocity), the density of the rock can be estimated. The higher the seismic velocity, the denser the rock. Seismic velocities for moon "rock" were compared to those of rocks from various locations. The results were published in Science [1], and are shown below:

Seismic Velocities

Lunar________________Seismic Velocity (km/sec)

Basalt 10017.....................1.84

Basalt 10046.....................1.25

Near surface layer..............1.2

Terrestrial rocks_______Seismic Velocity (km/sec)

Granite...............................5.9

Gneiss................................4.9

Basalt.................................5.8

Sandstone...........................4.9

Marble................................6.02

Limestone...........................5.06-5.97

It is clear from this that moon "rock" is considerably less dense than any type of rock found on earth. The scientists then decided to examine the seismic velocities of various cheeses from around the world. Some of the results are shown below:

Cheese_______________Seismic Velocity (km/sec)

Sapsego (Swiss).................2.12

Romano (Italy)....................1.74

Cheddar (Vermont).............1.72

Muenster (Wisconsin)..........1.57

The seismic velocity of moon "rock" is much closer to cheese than any rock found on earth. I admit that this is not conclusive proof that the moon is made of cheese, but in the words of the scientists:

"Old hypotheses are best after all, and should not be lightly discarded"

Or are they just open-minded people who can see through the lies peddled by Establishment Science? Why are online stooges, such as yourself, so insulting towards those who hold opposing views - what have you got to hide? To understand why successive governments are so eager to dismiss the notion that the Moon only comes up at night, you have to figure out who benefits by following the money all the way back to the late 1960s when the supposedly dead JFK faked the Apollo Moon landings... (cont. on p93)

What I want to know is why we have to spend all that money keeping the moon lit when it is daytime. And why do we waste so much electricity on keeping the sun blazing when it is night time?

Surely one way of helping to ease the current financial crisis would be to switch the sun off at night?

It is political correctness gone mad I tell you.

jz- Wow! it is Small world indeed!

Did anybody notice the unusual and beautiful 'halo' around the sun this afternoon? Almost like a circular rainbow. What causes that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_%28optical_phenomenon%29

When the halo is not all the way round, you see the side bits, called sundogs. I've often seen these here, usually when there is high milky cloud around the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog