The sky at night (meteors, Iridium flares, the moon)

Colin

This might sound strange but I've been curious about what I saw on Friday (12 August) night in Fetlar, don't know how to explain it. It was a bright white light, looked almost like a shooting star, but didn't move right across the sky, it moved vertical in a downward direction and shown bright before disappearing? My father in law suggested ball lightening. It only happened the once when I was out watching, it was mostly light cloud in the direction I saw it. I don't know my bearings out there, think it was the North?? The moon was almost behind me. Hope someone can shed some light.

This might sound strange but I've been curious about what I saw on Friday (12 August) night in Fetlar, don't know how to explain it. It was a bright white light, looked almost like a shooting star, but didn't move right across the sky, it moved vertical in a downward direction and shown bright before disappearing? My father in law suggested ball lightening. It only happened the once when I was out watching, it was mostly light cloud in the direction I saw it. I don't know my bearings out there, think it was the North?? The moon was almost behind me. Hope someone can shed some light.

Probably a satellite. What time did you see it?

About 11pm ish, it moved fairly quickly caught it at the corner of my eye at first hence why I looked in the direction when it glowed white then disappeared. I would have thought a flare or something, but it moved in the wrong direction and had too short a "tail" before glowing bright.

Thanks, I don't know too much about the sky at night, was just strange I saw it through the clouds and it moved down vertically towards earth with a tail and a bright light (orb) glowed then disappeared. Looks very similar to ball lightening (small) but it was the only one.

• 2 weeks later...

[***Mod edit - moved post to relevant thread***]

Just droping by to share a few things I thought some of you might appreciate...

I was up in Unst over Easter and was treated to a week of the most beautiful weather I've ever experienced, then on the last night this appeared:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2465/5718900883_17b5b439a8_z.jpg

A short timelapse video can be found here:

Hoping to return next Easter for another week of solid blue skies! What a magical place![/img]

Yes, that was taken on the Westing looking out towards Brough Holm. This one is facing North:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/5718901025_31be2f2612_z.jpg

I didn't get many other shots as I was keen to setup the timelapse and before I knew it the sun was starting to rise, ruining any long exposures.

• 2 weeks later...