The sky at night (meteors, Iridium flares, the moon)

Colin

My wife and I have been in Shetland for almost 4 years now but have missed seeing the Northern Lights each time.

Damn !

How? A daft question but you do know they don't look like the photos, tonights have been on since about 7pm (that I saw) mainly blue stripes across the sky

We signed up for email alerts with Aurora Watch a good while back and they simply didn't send any out last night. I was looking at my emails at least once an hour last night but no alerting email arrived so we missed out.

On previous occasions, the rain and or clouds precluded us from seeing anything.

Maybe next time...

I use the aura watch app on my phone, but to get alerts now you have to pay for the premium app. I usually wait for Kp4.3 before I even look.

Shetland wildlife on FB is worth a "like" if there's something worth seeing they're usually the 1st to stick it up. Just look at the Orca chaos in Sandwick that sunday, you could spot those with smart phones.

My wife and I have been in Shetland for almost 4 years now but have missed seeing the Northern Lights each time.

Damn !

How? A daft question but you do know they don't look like the photos, tonights have been on since about 7pm (that I saw) mainly blue stripes across the sky

We signed up for email alerts with Aurora Watch a good while back and they simply didn't send any out last night. I was looking at my emails at least once an hour last night but no alerting email arrived so we missed out.

On previous occasions, the rain and or clouds precluded us from seeing anything.

Maybe next time...

try looking at the sky instead of your computer screen

^^

I am often looking out at the sky, particularly when I let the cat in and out, but unfortunately he decided to stay in last night. It was the fact that no email alert came from Aurora Watch that is bugging me a bit this time around.

For the next few nights at least, we are going to look outside on the hour every hour from 5pm until about 11-00pm each night so I will see if we get lucky and see them.

^^

I am often looking out at the sky, particularly when I let the cat in and out, but unfortunately he decided to stay in last night. It was the fact that no email alert came from Aurora Watch that is bugging me a bit this time around.

For the next few nights at least, we are going to look outside on the hour every hour from 5pm until about 11-00pm each night so I will see if we get lucky and see them.

You and the cat can take th evening off as the forecast level is low at the moment - you should check this website now and again in the evening for Kp levels of 4.5 or more - it was spot on yesterday evening

http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm