The sky at night (meteors, Iridium flares, the moon)

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
This was taken from Unst, Fri 29th March. Lasted 40 seconds before returning to a dull glow. Definitely the best I've ever seen :o

Magnificent! Well done Hamron.

I witnessed most of that 40 seconds as weel, almost on the stroke of 11pm? Looked up in the middle of changing a lens and WOW! I've never seen so much happen in the sky so quickly.

It hasn't been a great winter for Auroras but your image captures the very best of it. :D

Magnificent! Well done Hamron.

I witnessed most of that 40 seconds as weel, almost on the stroke of 11pm? Looked up in the middle of changing a lens and WOW! I've never seen so much happen in the sky so quickly.

It hasn't been a great winter for Auroras but your image captures the very best of it. :D

Yep, definitely the same one, and I'm happy to hear I wasn't the only one that witnessed it (my mum and girlfriend narrowly missed it after heading back inside). I too was shocked to see it so bright and fast moving, I've only ever seen a dull and slow moving glow before.

@Hamiltonian, absolutely. Higher-res version can be found here:

http://i.imgur.com/EBXdgHL.jpg

And here's a panorama from the same spot, which I think shows PanStarrs comet and Andromeda:

http://i.imgur.com/dJr8izC.jpg

I have another shot of the first half of the display which I will post later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...