Grazing in the Culswick area

DarkstarIII

If I ever win the lottery.. I will build a big equestrian centre for all the people who are finding it tough to get grazing, quality riding, Riding for the disabled, christmas parties and fancy dress for the kids and facilities in a safe, atmosphere.. because quite frankly a peerie corner of a park at a roundabout.. its pathetic! whilst what does all the other sports get??? look at the clickimin.. at the facilities for every other sport.. and what does equestrianism get.. hmmmm ... not to mention the folk that complain that riders have to go on the roads.. well give them something better then... i.e. indoor school, outdoor all weather floodlit riding arenas.. they have it on the mainland... why not here.. ? :x :x :x

As one who has this t-shirt drying on the line, you will indeed need to win the lottery because the public liability insurance for such a venture will be in four figures, your Health & Safety stuff will take days to sort out, your Child Protection and HSE First Aid at Work will take days to get and you will find the general public refuse point blank to take responsibility for any of their actions. The new laws are, if you own a horse, someone gets hurt, it is your responsibility as the horse owner, even if it is blatantly their fault (ie stick a pin in it and it kicks them back!).

So, best of luck. Owning a riding school/livery yard is basically alot of hard work for no money, all the responsibility and the constant threat of someone sueing you for negligence!

Oh yes, and some livery horse owners dump and run, never pay their bills, borrow all your stuff and then wreck your fences, never pick up their poo and break things.

Fx

PS And anothing thing!..... if you become a club, you can get the SIC to pay half of your running costs, never have to have any insurance, HSE or first aid stuff and your members will think because the Council are subsidising it that you have therefore got all the right insurance, HSE and first aid stuff. They can offer riding for £5 per hour and put you out of business!

I have witnessed horses on more than one occasion destroying fences. I also think it would be a damn shame to rid Shetland of sheep now that there is possibly a growing market for the Shetland breed of yow.

There are a lot of uninhabited isles around Shetland that used to be used for grazing Sheep. Perhaps we could put the horses there? :wink:

I have witnessed horses on more than one occasion destroying fences. I also think it would be a damn shame to rid Shetland of sheep now that there is possibly a growing market for the Shetland breed of yow.

There are a lot of uninhabited isles around Shetland that used to be used for grazing Sheep. Perhaps we could put the horses there? :wink:

Probably best to put the sheep there, since they arent being groomed, ridden, patted, made a fuss off, etc...

Could be an urban myth, but wasn't there a bloke a few years back selling 'Shetland Pony meat from Shetland', coinciding with the cheap price of colt foals at the sales?

At last years sales it was pointed out that someone buying the cheapest colts worked for a safari park, and was not intending to use them as exhibits! I know I'll fall for a line, but it's a little frightening to think where they could end up. :shock:

The new laws are, if you own a horse, someone gets hurt, it is your responsibility as the horse owner, even if it is blatantly their fault (ie stick a pin in it and it kicks them back!).

We had similar discusions over here some years ago, when horses were (simplified) classified as "cars with four hooves". Over the years it got balanced. In principal it is the same whether you hand out your car or your horse for a third party use. If you hand it out to someone who can't drive or ride (and you have known about) it's your prob, if you hand out to someone who should know but did missuse either the car or the horse then it is his/her prob. If nobody can be traced as the actual user of the car or horse then it is the prob of your insurance covering your risks as owner.

That indeed had some impacts on insurance rates but after some times things stabilized.

Many friends have their horses here insured by British companies because they are much cheaper than the Germans or Austrians and in case something happens they hand over the case to the insurance companies as they would do in case of an accident with their cars ... ;-)

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/article.php?aid=133752&cid=397

This case plus another just states how serious things are in the insurance/liability world.

This student had been working with these folk for a year, could ride and her parents still won.

"The judge considered she was competent to ride a sensible horse like Ivor and the Stokeses could not have forseen the accident. Nevertheless, he ruled that the Stokeses were "strictly liable" to pay compensation under the terms of the 1971 Animals Act."

What hope does the equine world have. I don't dare let any folk ride my remaining horses. I am often asked but I always say no. Even if folk promise never to sue and take full responsibility, I have to say no, because if something does happen, their parents may well sue.

It is very very scary and something I don't think the Council have taken into consideration when they are busy backing all these Clubs. What happens when turd happens. Who will pick up the bill then? It doesn't even have to be negligence, a plain awful accident is now defined as being the owner's problem. Everyone is always looking for someone to pass the buck onto rather admit it was just one of those things.

Fx

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/article.php?aid=133752&cid=397

This case plus another just states how serious things are in the insurance/liability world.

This student had been working with these folk for a year, could ride and her parents still won.

"The judge considered she was competent to ride a sensible horse like Ivor and the Stokeses could not have forseen the accident. Nevertheless, he ruled that the Stokeses were "strictly liable" to pay compensation under the terms of the 1971 Animals Act."

What hope does the equine world have. I don't dare let any folk ride my remaining horses. I am often asked but I always say no. Even if folk promise never to sue and take full responsibility, I have to say no, because if something does happen, their parents may well sue.

It is very very scary and something I don't think the Council have taken into consideration when they are busy backing all these Clubs. What happens when turd happens. Who will pick up the bill then? It doesn't even have to be negligence, a plain awful accident is now defined as being the owner's problem. Everyone is always looking for someone to pass the buck onto rather admit it was just one of those things.

Fx

I get the horse and hound every thursday and read that article... its crap how things can turn out.. something that can seem quite friendly like letting someone have a peerie ride on your horse can have catastrophic consequences.

I have a new horse now and with him being 17.1hh not many folk could get on him anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: