Tony Wilson RIP

mutopian

Financed Unknown Pleasures, the first album by Joy Division with every penny he had.

Started Factory Records.

Built The Hacienda, the greatest club the world has seen.

Signed New Order, James & The Happy Mondays.

Started the In The City music seminars and showcases, which brought bands such as Oasis to the media's attention.

The guy is legend, the world of music has certainly lost an enigma who's likes will probably never be seen again.

RIP AHW.

Sad news - RIP to one of the world's more interesting characters.

Just to play devil's advocate, why is it that Factory Records is seen as the quintessential Manchester label when, in the words of one obituary I read today, "despite not signing Buzzcocks, Magazine, The Smiths, The Fall or The Stone Roses"?

Just to play devil's advocate, why is it that Factory Records is seen as the quintessential Manchester label when, in the words of one obituary I read today, "despite not signing Buzzcocks, Magazine, The Smiths, The Fall or The Stone Roses"?

True, he didn't sign some of Manchester's greats, but I think they (Smiths, Buzzcocks, The Fall, The Roses) would all agree that Tony Wilson and Factory played a huge part in all their careers.

Factory changed Manchester and introduced the world to Manchester’s music scene. Manchester in those days was not the high-tech shinny Manchester we know now. Tony Wilson and Factory influenced a whole cultural revival in the area......the influence and innovations of Tony Wilson and Factory Records will be part of Manchester and the music industry for many years to come.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6941846.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/6250202.stm

The Buzzcocks, The Fall and Magazine were all formed well before Factory Records came to fruition, and all went on to sign for major labels which could certainly offer more security than the fledgeling Factory.

The Smiths, and in particular Johnny Marr, wanted to move to London to further their career so I don't think signing to Factory would have suited them. In fact i saw an interview with Tony Wilson many years ago where he said that if he HAD signed The Smiths then the whole indie network might have come crashing down due to the fact that Rough Trade were responsible distributing most indie labels output and had been in financial trouble before signing the Smiths.

The real tragedy for Factory was that they didn't sign Oasis, a band who Tony Wilson was interested in but didn't have the cash to offer, due to the excesses of the Happy Mondays and the recording of their album Yes Please, which essentially broke the bank for Factory and consigned the legendary label to history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...