20 mph limit

dB

For the first time (for me) the 20 mph lights were flashing at Cunningsburgh this morning.

I duly slowed to 20 mph and took what seemed ages to navigate this zone before resisting the temptation to put the foot down to make up for lost time.

Not for one second am I saying road safety isn't important but this 20 mph limit on a well-lit road with pavements on both sides seems to me to be a step too far.

What will happen is drivers will invariably go through the zone at over 20 mph, thereby possibly increasing the danger for bairns who, in time, will get used to the majority of cars going extremely slowly.

IMHO, 30 mph would be far more reasonable and much more likely to be adhered to.

Are these limits in place at other schools throughout Shetland...???

Just wondering what other drivers/passengers think...?? :?: :?: :?:

These limits are in place up and down the country, Cunningsburgh is no differant to any other small town in Britian.

If they pose such a huge problem to your travel leave an extra 5-10 minutes early so you are not late and there is no need to put yout foot down.

they have had these lights at Whiteness school for a couple of terms now I think.. at least since easter.. would need to ask the lolly pop lady.. but it seems the majority do go down to 25mph to 20 mph.. all though i am glad sometimes to be following another car.. as i have been known to forget they are there first thing in the morning.

I haven't noticed anything different in any ones driving behaviour. maybe to begin with there was some irrational overtaking just as you came out of the speed restriction.. but now.. i think most people are aware that it isn't worth their time, for all that they gain

if they are the same as the ones at whiteness then they go on about 08:40 till 09:15.. and i assume its is a similar time period when school closes.. but as i always go past after 17:00 I'm not sure.

I do find it strange that there Isn't a 20mph limit going past sound school though.

From the CAPITAL ROLLING PROGRAMMES,

ROADS AND TRANSPORT

SCHEMES AND PURCHASES, 2006/2007 (Whatever that is!)

Appendix 3 Scottish Executive Grants and Additional Funding 2006/07

20mph Speed Limits, Safe Routes To School, and Home Zones Status

Whiteness School - Variable Speed Limit Underway

Sound School - Implementation 2006/07

Scalloway School & Surrounds - Implementation 2006/07

Ollaberry - Consultation/Assessment

Urafirth - Consultation/Assessment

Brae - Consultation/Assessment

Nesting - Consultation/Assessment

Cunningsburgh - Consultation/Assessment

Anderson High School - Consultation/Assessment

For the first time (for me) the 20 mph lights were flashing at Cunningsburgh this morning.

I duly slowed to 20 mph and took what seemed ages to navigate this zone before resisting the temptation to put the foot down to make up for lost time.

Not for one second am I saying road safety isn't important but this 20 mph limit on a well-lit road with pavements on both sides seems to me to be a step too far.

What will happen is drivers will invariably go through the zone at over 20 mph, thereby possibly increasing the danger for bairns who, in time, will get used to the majority of cars going extremely slowly.

IMHO, 30 mph would be far more reasonable and much more likely to be adhered to.

It's a good idea. Just curious though why they were flashing when the children are still off school.

From http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/news_and_info/news.php?id=361

Hull City Council has reduced overall injuries by 60% in its 20mph zones. Child pedestrian injuries have been reduced by 75%. That's a massive saving of human health and happiness.

The reason is not what motorists would adhere to but at what speed a child would survive if a car hit them.

Muckle Joannie wrote

The reason is not what motorists would adhere to but at what speed a child would survive if a car hit them.

Which of course raises the other point. How to control children. After all very few children are involved in collisions with motor vehicles except when the child has moved to a point of conflict with the vehicle. And not getting hit is a much better deal than having a "survivable" accident.

Obeying the the new speed limit at the Cunningsburgh School will cost at max 2-3 minutes from Sandwick.

Why not set out earlier.

Hell, :twisted: lets be really revolutionary and set off 5 minutes early and keep the speed under 50 mph for the rest of the road. Probably save the environment by doing so :roll: . In a peerie place like Shetland nobody "needs" to go at more than forty, unless your driving an ambulance or fire engine on a mission.

Most of us just like putting the foot down because we have no more wit :oops: .

I hope there's is a hefty fine for speeding in these school zones. :!:

Traffic control, whatever it is, is all fine and well as far as it goes and for what it is, but isn't there an element of insanity/selfishness/something on the part of the powers that be who decide to put hundreds of peerie bairns on the road at the same time as the majority of the local "rush hour"?

The Primary School I mostly went to went in at 9.30am, came out at 3.30pm, there was no mad dash to work by car for 9am in the Ness back then, but if there had been we would have been well clear of it. What's with the 9am, or nearer to 9am starts these days? I refuse to believe we were any "less well educated" by getting there 1/2 hour after they do now, and it would be a far more sensible and safe hour to have bairns on the road at these days with how traffic is, controlled or otherwise.

Traffic control, whatever it is, is all fine and well as far as it goes and for what it is, but isn't there an element of insanity/selfishness/something on the part of the powers that be who decide to put hundreds of peerie bairns on the road at the same time as the majority of the local "rush hour"?

The Primary School I mostly went to went in at 9.30am, came out at 3.30pm, there was no mad dash to work by car for 9am in the Ness back then, but if there had been we would have been well clear of it. What's with the 9am, or nearer to 9am starts these days? I refuse to believe we were any "less well educated" by getting there 1/2 hour after they do now, and it would be a far more sensible and safe hour to have bairns on the road at these days with how traffic is, controlled or otherwise.

Your theory is good but the practicality of the situation is otherwise. As far as I am aware the Sound school starts at 9.30 but if I come in the South Road at 8.55 there is a stream of bairns heading there. After 9 there's hardly a one. Many parents of primary school bairns work and need to get out for 9 themselves.

Obeying the the new speed limit at the Cunningsburgh School will cost at max 2-3 minutes from Sandwick.

Why not set out earlier.

Hell, :twisted: lets be really revolutionary and set off 5 minutes early and keep the speed under 50 mph for the rest of the road. Probably save the environment by doing so :roll: . In a peerie place like Shetland nobody "needs" to go at more than forty, unless your driving an ambulance or fire engine on a mission.

Most of us just like putting the foot down because we have no more wit :oops: .

I hope there's is a hefty fine for speeding in these school zones. :!:

With respect Rasmie, du's missing me point. If most of the cars are doing 20 mph when bairns are looking to cross the road, bairns will get used to thinking "yun car's 100 metres away, I can cross da road noo". The problem will be when that car's doing 30/40/50 mph and arrives on the scene quicker than the bairn anticipated.

Again, IMHO, I think 30 mph would have been more workable and attainable, especially on a well-lit, pavements both sides, main road.

Slightly off the point here, but are they keeping on the crossing attendants, or whitever lollipop ladies are caa'ed nooadays as well as da 20 mph.....???

Fairly off topic but in reply to the other posts in this thread......why no start schools at 8:30am and finish half an hour earlier. Bairns who needed a run tae school could get one and the parent(s) would then have 30 minutes to get to work. Simple, no...???

It might help tae ease yun hellish congestion at Knab Road at da foreside o 9 o'clock.

I find the 20mph a godsend at the whiteness school as most vehicles going by there just seem to be hell bent on getting to wherever at breakneck speed.

In Aith is there are 30mph signs before and after the school boundary (no flashing lights) but very few drivers pay any notice. I myself have even gone faster but came to my senses one day when a ball was kicked from the multi court and a bairn came flying out of the gate to get it.

Muckle Joannie wrote

Which of course raises the other point. How to control children. After all very few children are involved in collisions with motor vehicles except when the child has moved to a point of conflict with the vehicle. And not getting hit is a much better deal than having a "survivable" accident.

Roads of course being the sole domain of cars, and not to be occupied at any time by anybody on foot :twisted: