Welsh - Cymraeg

Anna T

Interesting! Why's that then?

Someone did a study a year or two ago into the Orkney and Shetland accents. They came to the conclusion, i think, that Orkney had a Celtic intonation but Shetland had a Norwegian one. This is a link to a summary the study but you'll have to stump up $35 if you wan to read it.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowAbstract&ArtikelNr=95306&Ausgabe=232171&ProduktNr=224275

Thanks for all your replies, everybody. I have never been to Orkney, so I can't pass judgement as to how Welsh they sound. But I will get there. I have just moved to Shetland from Dolgellau in North Wales. In so many ways, Shetland is very similar to Gwynedd - but of course it's very different in other ways, too.

One of the things we hate in Wales is when people move in from outside and don't make any effort to adapt to the local way of doing things. So I want to adapt myself to Shetland, rather than expecting Shetland to adapt to me. Any ideas as to how I can best do that?

The other thing is - if any of the Welsh speakers one of you referred to would be interested in speaking some Welsh, I'd love them to get in touch with me. I don't want to forget my Welsh!

Thanks again everyone....

Anna