2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

It isnt easy whatever way you look at it, the clubs with the ability to have B teams will want to keep a format where they have somewhere for their juniors leaving under 18's to play alongside of players that are not able for top-flight football but still have something to offer, young players can learn a lot from players like this who have been at the top of their game.

I dont think you could have B teams in the second division as your right there would be a conflict of interest between the teams from the same Club, maybe the way forward would be to move to a system where there are no b's but the senior clubs have an affiliation with a second division club where there juniors could play for a few seasons to gain experience and to see if they will make the grade or not, if not they can stay at the club, that way clubs such as Burra, Unst, Yell and the works league teams that do not have the ability to field a junior structure would have a supply of players and the Senior clubs would have a place to develope their players until such time as they were ready to make the grade or not? just an idea, the practical side of administering it might not make it viable though.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i think that sounds lik a good idea in theory and i was thinking along the same lines. For example Spurs could work with, say Titans, and produce a large squad and decide which players play in their division one side or division two side. Then if they had a really large squad with players not getting a game they could introduce a reserve side into a reserve league. Thus players coming through their junior ranks could be in effect loaned out to a lower league but with a close relationship they could be brought up a level when they were ready. And if the Titans side were promoted it might not be as difficult as say Spurs A and B playing in the same league. The clubs would have a close relationship but remain seperate teams in effect.

If the better works league sides got some access to the better players in Shetland it may close the gap between the Premier League and works league.

But as Penfold says there would be a lot of problems getting such an idea to work in practice and it may just benefit Lerwick sides unless country teams started their own works league sides.

Reading al the ideas but this still aplies.

"The problems, issues, and possible solutions will never go away nor will they be fixed, improved on or addapted to help the game move ahead as long as there are three governing bodies running senior mens football in a community of this size. So unless they ALL see the bigger picture we can get use to the same fare and level for the forseable."

You are all misising the major problem, at present there are THREE bodies running senior football and until they are ONE none of the suggestions involving the inter-league stuff can happen. Simple.

this season whitedale, ness, unst, burra and yell were made to join the A league as B league participation was not allowed.

i think whitedale know they shouldnt have been playing B league last year and will happily stay in A league. Ness havent had that many hammerings this year and should stay in A league.

Unst, Yell and Burra should be allowed to join the B league if they want but can also stay in A league if they wish.

this would be most sensible option

Unst, Yell and Burra should be allowed to join the B league if they want but can also stay in A league if they wish.

Therein lies the problem, they (SFA) cannot have a rule that allows teams to drop down to the "reserve" league while asking, or telling, other teams to stay up.

Yes your right it will all work ok as long only unst, yell, and burra wanted to to the B league but once that precedent has been set then you would not be able to tell a club that is struggling in the future that they cant step down and you'll be back to square one before you know it.

If you limit the number of players each club is allowed to sign then each individual player can then make the decision if they want to play for someone else or not play fitba at all. E.g. a Delting lad who is only getting reserve team football but does not want to play for anyone else in the A league because he does not want to damage his chances for replacing one of the senior players can choose to bide/waste his time in the b league or go and play for Yell or Burra who need players, learn from the experience and then hope to be begged to return or he could stay where he is at.

The SFA has to decide do they want a strong county team, competitive A league or lots of lads on the park each week playing the game.

At the moment we have a strong county team, a league that has worked in part but to many lads sitting watching as they do want not to switch clubs for what ever reason.

Shetland has the players to have a good nine team top division.

"The SFA has to decide do they want a strong county team, competitive A league or lots of lads on the park each week playing the game."

I think you are right BC.Benvie. I personally beleive numbers on the park should come first but I know those who play the game at the higher levels will disagree. Everyone should realise the SFA is made up of Reps fron the Clubs plus acouple of extras. They should represent the veiws of the majority, which is not the county squad. Hundereds want to play football in Shetland.

Why not split the competition in to two area groups,

Lerwick division

Lerwick Thistle

Lerwick Spurs

Lerwick Celtic

Cosmos

Malakoff

Banks

Services

Titans

Chernobyl

All this divisions games would be played in Lerwick unless teams are playing in County sheild etc.

Rural Division

Delting

Whalsay

Unst

Yell

Scalloway

Burra

Whitedale

Ness United

Wurltizers

These teams would play their games shetland wide as most already have access to their own pitches and are used to travelling to the other end of the islands.

Top three from each division would compete for the league title after a mid season split, the rest would play off for the respective divison league cup and would also play the early rounds of the County shield with the successful teams playing the top six clubs in the later rounds?

Its Just another suggestion the practical side of administering it may not bear out though.

Another intereseting idea but i think you would have a large gulf within the leagues especially the Lerwick one. I couldn't see the works league sides or the 3 Lerwick A sides agreeing to that one.

Good to see your full o creative ideas though Penfold! I wish i could think of a creative solution but i find myself banging my head against the proverbial brick wall!

Interesting V&J said hundreds o ppl want to play fitba in Shetland, I would like to see more setting up works league sides, especially fae country areas. It should be about getting more people on the park playing!

There are gulf's in all the leagues as it is though Stoichkov in this weeks Time's the difference between top and bottom club in the A league is 51 points, the B league it is 25 points and the the works league it is 30 points, so it isnt something that does not already exist.

Interesting V&J said hundreds o ppl want to play fitba in Shetland, I would like to see more setting up works league sides, especially fae country areas. It should be about getting more people on the park playing!

Why should they have to though Stoichkov? And commit to playing all their games in Lerwick when they have their own pitches? I have no doubt after this "experimental" season that the Works League will begin burgeoning over the next two years - Be interesting to see how they handle it.

I maintain that the current set-up will be to the long-term detriment of Shetland football - But severely doubt it will be changed.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.......... STOICHKOV.

Some good theories and suggestions. However, what about players like you who leave lesser clubs in search of "A league football". Put it this way you were not wanting to graft and get beat playing for a lesser team. There were players who stuck with that lesser team who had more talent and ability than you. Players like you are the problem. Shetland is too small to have "glory hunting" players changing teams.

Just think before you come on this forum and tell everyone the rights and wrongs about Shetland Football. Considering, u ditched your team when they needed you.

:lol:

Ballack, your input into this forum and Shetland football in general has been, at best, meaningless and insignificant. But Stoichkov takes your personal criticisms on board... :roll:

I was thinking about Penfold's idea to have seperate Town and Country leagues. What about if you had a premier league and then had 2 lower divisions, a Town league and a Country league. The Town league could have the works league sides and reserve teams from Celtic, Thistle and Spurs, while the country league could have rural reserve teams and possibly the 4 southern league sides? The winners of each league could play off against the bottom side in the premier league in a round robin format.

Afterall, its only a suggestion :wink: