2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

hhhhmmmmmmmm.... Norther Rovers, haven't we been here before.

Can it work, in theory, YES.

Will it work...NO.

This has been done before and talked about before in depth on this webpage but I just think that Unst don't want it, and credit to them and JAck and Victor for trying to think of a new way forward for shetland football, instead of some people whho just look for the easy way out, without understanding the situation.

If Burra join the B's some of their top players should be given permission to play for Unst in the A's, even if it was primarily for away games. There is a good and friendly relationship between the 2 sets of layers already however the club would still have to be Unst. Not Bunst or ... eh Urra or anything stupid like that, home games in unst, but burra players coul be given the option to play A and b's and this would help burras players mature and improve and could only help burra in the llong run...

Northern Rovers B is a non starter. It won't happen. (in my opinion)

Most of u will think what i am saying is utter bull... but oh well :oops: :roll: :roll: no change there

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Unst were to merge with Yell to form N.Rovers that would definately be the end of football matches in Unst. Perhaps the odd Parish Cup match but Unst already struggle to get teams to travel to the isles as it is. Matches in Yell would be the easy way out for some unwilling travellers. Someone on this site is bound to suggest we play cup games in Unst and league matches in Yell. That just means both areas will have very little home matches.

It has already been stated that Unst has too many talented players to play B football. I beleive Yell are keen to keep going in the top division next year and credit to them. Lets not have those who don't fully understand the situation and logistics force the hand of the bottom clubs.

Lets have a bit of co-operation from everyone and when it comes to attending the SFA meeting lets not have those striving for the "ideal" scenario dictate the proceedings. If the association backs these clubs in the majority (which may mean changes to the rules etc) next season could be one of the more competitive seasons in years.

Lets not forget that B' or "reserve" football does have a place in Shetland as with such a short season it allows more people to participate more often.

I can't see many Burra players lining up to travel up to Unst every second game. Also think Scalloway would feel a bit agrieved when they do all the work at youth level.

Shetland football really needs to move towards having teams from areas with large enough populations to support teams at all levels. It's the only way the standard of football will improve and we can avoid the annual rush to get back into the B League where life is a bit less competative.

One idea would be to increase the number if substitutes available for use in A league matches. At the moment teams are restricted to 3 subs from 5. This should be increased to 5 which would mean that more players can be involved in A league matches and would also prevent players from travellin to whalsa or unst for example and not getting on. Surely the shetland FA should consider this? :idea:

One idea would be to increase the number if substitutes available for use in A league matches. At the moment teams are restricted to 3 subs from 5. This should be increased to 5 which would mean that more players can be involved in A league matches and would also prevent players from travellin to whalsa or unst for example and not getting on. Surely the shetland FA should consider this? :idea:

I agree Baxter. There is not much advantage teams could gain from having 5 subs. There can't be many examples of a team using up all their subs, and an injury costing them the game. Also I don't think there are any teams in Shetland that could gain a tactical edge from it. The referee adds time at the end for stopages - including substitutions - so time wasting isn't a problem either. So does anyone have a good reason why this can't be brought in?

This season Unst are still playing matches, and we're almost into October. What does everyone think about having the season extended every year? Or has this been an example of why it shouldn't run this late?

Night time games would be ruled out at this time of year for obvious reasons. Unless at whalsay of course where there are floodlights so games could be played in whalsa. B ut there is no reason why for the last few weekends of the season games cant be held on a saturday or sunday afternoon. This may mean some players getting time off work etc but unst boys have to take time off work to fulfil nearly any weeknight game on the mainland as it usually involves getting the 4.45 ferry from belmont.

I'm also agreeing with penfold and myself about the substitutes as whats the point in a team taking 5 subs to whalsa, getting humped 5 nil and not being able to give all of the boys a run. Likewise travelling to unst and yell and perhaps winning 6-0 and having 2 boys not able to play. Teams aren't forced to make subs but sometimes there is no reason why not. Any most subs in shetland aren't put on to change games radically as teams don't have that squad strength (bar the big guns) the subs are generally there to make up numbers and incase of injuries and tiredness. The smaller teams cant afford to leave top players on the bech until the 2nd half

Why doesn't the association change kick off times to 3pm on a saturday like the rest of the country?, trying to scramble up to yell or unst for an evening kick off is madness.

If it was 3pm you wouldn't have a problem to get up and you may even get a few more spectators.

In Faroe they play their games at 3pm on a sunday!

Certainly wouldnt bother me playing on saturday tho the 3 kick-off might as a lot of our players work on saturdays too, the 3 kick-off for the isle's games on a sunday would do though, we hired a bus and split the cost between us whan we went up to Unst a few weeks back.

I can understand Ness and Whalsay needing to play at the weekends however teams like delting, yell, whitedale and the lerik teams CAN make it up to unst in th evening and play. This was proven by Thistle and DElting who did it this year. Unst can also travel down on weeknights so there is no reason why teams cant travel the other way. :shock: :shock:

And YES Unst players work on saturdays and evenings sometimes yet they can make it... :!: :!:

as far as i'm aware unst and ness are definitely going to be A league teams next year. presumably yell will also fit into this bracket however i'm not 100% sure. :?: :?:

Burra on the other hand will probably be seeking a return to the B setup as they only managed to pick up 1 solidary point last season and they have reportedly lost laurence pearson to whalsa. which would be a major loss to any of shetlands top teams.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Is there a player of the season award up for grabs in shetland football. If so anybody have any idea who won it?????

The player of the year is awarded at the SFA annual dinner on the 6th of october,

Ness are going to continue in the A's and try and field a B team, Whitedale are going to continue as they did this year, Burra are going to seek to enter the B's, Unst and Yell are going to continue with the A's for the time being as far as I am aware, this all depends on the SFA though and if they allow Burra to go down to the B league, it would be a real pity if Burra are left with no option but to go to the works league (no offence to the works league), because the SFA are going to inflexable towards this request.

I am led to believe that Whitedale, Unst, Ness, and Yell would support Burra in their request to drop down to B league, I think there is going to be a push to examine just what it is the SFA is doing for all its member clubs or as it seems just a vehicle to be used for the benefit of the top clubs.