2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

do sandwick, cunningsburgh and southend FC's really exist outside of the parish cup???????

i dunna keen cos i'm no up on my knowledge of those teams. However if the play no games within the shetland football association competitions, do they exist in the shetland fitba associations eyes??

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of you are right and wrong. Now, if I can just try to interrupt your argument.......

Scalloway do have a B team, and it seems to me that they have been successful in taking some players out of works league football, and back to a level where they belong.

The problem is that in the TSB area there are almost enough players for 3 teams, but with the current SFA policy, only B teams can play in the reserve league. This means that one team doesn't have an appropriate level to play at.

Funnily enough, it's a similar situation with Unst and Yell :shock:

So, I find myself using this all too familiar phrase again - teams need to COMPROMISE :!:

I do realise that I am wasting my time posting that (again), because some clubs will just never do that. However, I have discovered why....

compromise n. 1. settlement of a dispute by concessions on each side. 2. the terms of such a settlement. 3. something midway between different things. ~vb. 4. to settle (a dispute) by making concessions. 5. to expose (oneself or another) to disrepute.

Obviously alot of people involved in the running of football in Shetland, only know the 5th meaning of compromise :wink:

why have 1 b team when you could have 2... Burra will be a strong and competitive b league outfit. It would be a shame to KILL a club just to suit a few people...such as yourselves MiM and Stoichkov

Will they be a strong competitive outfit? From my reading they seemed to only get 9 or 10 players to most games, i reckon most B teams would beat them!

As MiM states no-one wants to 'kill' a club here. Its just you can't change the rules every year to suit every clubs grievences whether its Burra, Delting, Thistle B, Unst whoever!

Fair enough 4 started the season for them John William Laurenson, John William Halcrow, Marvin Inkster, Ian Uren,

4 recognised Burra players...4!!

Does this not blatantly suggest that Burra simply don't have a squad large enough to play in any league?! Why can't they just play for Scalloway A's and B's and if, in a few years, they ever muster the numbers to establish a squad that can turn up with a full team each week in the A's then go for it Burra!

You never know, they may even have enough for a Burra B team as well! :wink:[/i]

do sandwick, cunningsburgh and southend FC's really exist outside of the parish cup???????

i dunna keen cos i'm no up on my knowledge of those teams. However if the play no games within the shetland football association competitions, do they exist in the shetland fitba associations eyes??

They do Baxter, its just that its taken a back seat to the whole ness set-up, Cunningsburgh is entering a team in the 5-a-side competition set-up by Ness starting this saturday. As for weather or not they exist in the eyes of the SFA is irrelevant because they are members of the Southern League Football Association as are Burra still as they didn't cease there membership when they left to go to the B league.

At the end of the day I think both Scalloway and Burra are weaker now than they were before they started compeating against each other.

Scalloway were second in the league and had won cups fairly regularly. Burra had a strong team in the Southern League and also had a decent Parish Cup team. Now Scalloway are a mid table side while Burra are clearly struggling to survive and unable to field a Parish Cup team.

What happened ? When Burra were in the Southern League they were strengthened by Scalloway players who qualified under the new Parish Cup rules. Those players stopped playing for Burra when they became rivals, similarly Scalloway lost one or two very good players to Burra.

One of the factors that is constantly overlooked is the overlap that existed between Burra and Scalloway before they were rivals.

I would say it's really up to Burra to decide their own future. They have their own senior club and their own park. Until the options available are clarified by the association I can't see them making any decsions. I am fairly sure they will continue at some level, just not sure where.

Is it really sustainable to go together with Unst or Yell ? May work for a year but not really sustainable.

How does that help Burra to keep a club going ?

Would Scalloway continue coaching young players in the area to play for Unstrra or Yellrra when they approach seniors ?

How many players would get in the Unst or Yell sides and who do they turf out ?

Does not sound very realistic to me.

I don't know much about Scalloway Juniors, however if Scalloway players were playing for Ness I would suggest they probably don't have enough players to form a team at Un 18s.

This happens fairly regularly and in the past Scalloway and Whitedale have shared players to keep them playing and learning. I don't dismiss the possibility of Burra combining with another senior team, I just question the logic for either team or Shetland Football.

say ooh aah scallowa, say ooh aah scallowa!

Scalloway would be a force if they had the best Burra players. There is talent in Burra but not enough for an A league side.

Anyone know what happened to Drewie Anderson? I thought he was best Burra player i've ever played against. Burra would have no problem in the A league with guys like him.

He should be in the S.L.H.F EistnWast