2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a sense it is the players choice, they can choose not to play for Shetland.

I for one agree with the ban. If a key player gets injured the weekend before the game the coach has very little time to change the game plan and the months of training are a waste of time.

Any senior team should be able to cope with the loss of their juniors for two weeks even though they may be key players. In recent years Celtic have had more cause to complain than most.but in the longterm their players have benefited from inclusion in Shetland squads.

Not heard anything either, though I did hear that the clubs that stepped up to the A's last year had, had a meeting to discuss their options for next season, rumour was that they were looking to set-up a league that would have the B teams of Ness and Whitedale in it along with Burra Unst and Yell also there was word of them approaching one or two of the works league teams to see if they were up for it, just as a fall back position if the AGM of the Shetland association doesn't bear fruit hope it is just a rumour cos the last thing we need is another tier to Shetland football :?

Not heard anything either, though I did hear that the clubs that stepped up to the A's last year had, had a meeting to discuss their options for next season, rumour was that they were looking to set-up a league that would have the B teams of Ness and Whitedale in it along with Burra Unst and Yell also there was word of them approaching one or two of the works league teams to see if they were up for it, just as a fall back position if the AGM of the Shetland association doesn't bear fruit hope it is just a rumour cos the last thing we need is another tier to Shetland football :?

I was at the meeting of the clubs mentioned and though many topics were discussed this was not one of them, though it does sound plausable, it could just be run through the structure of the SLFA, it would mean getting the Association out of the mothballed state it is in now but it shouldn't be that hard if folk were serious, but i doot it is just a rumour or at least just another idea that folk were bouncing about.

The benefits would be though that Unst, Yell and Burra would be able to continue as they are, if it was right about the wurltizers then they would be able to play home games in Brae instead of the toon, any players from Burra, Unst, and Yell would be able to play A's for another club if they wished as they would not be playing in the same Association, is there not a team trying to form at the moment from Mossbank or is that just another rumour from the mill?

I think an earlier idea suggested by EistnWest would be best pursued (or at least raised) at an AGM by the newly promoted clubs. That was to have a Premier league with 3 regional leagues below it. Then the winners of each regional league could playoff with the bottom side in the Premier league to decide promotion/relegation.

If Unst, Yell, Whitedale and Ness are looking to form their own breakaway league just for the sake o giving Burra FC someone to play against then I think those 4 clubs would be letting themselves down. (Do Ness B really want to be playing half their games in the North Isles?!) They should consult with all teams in the current premier set up to try and find suitable alternative.

Any hope of works league representitives going to this meeting? It would be good to make those sides aware of any possible league restructuring

It's not going to be a regional league. It's going to be called the Parish League. As penfold mentioned, the Southern League FA will be heavily involved in the running of this. They already have the trophies to be played for. The only problem that needs to be ironed out, is what Ness decide to do.

As the SL trophies will be played for, Sandwick and Southend are keen to enter. This may however lead to some problems for the Ness A side, as their players would be heavily involved in the PL.

Given the stature of the Parish Cup, it may be feasible for Ness to withdraw from the A league as the PL would probably, just like the PC, have a better reputation than the SFA competitions.

Like penfold said, all players could play for an A league side if they wished to do so. The Parish Football Association just need to talk with the Shetland manger, to see if he would be willing to pick players from the PL. If he is, then there would be no need for these players to seek football outwith PFA competitions.

I should also add that the Parish Cup Association and PFA would be two different bodies. The reason for this is that not everyone on the PCA [Whalsay & Delting] is keen on backing this idea.

I don't think a Parish League idea is worthwhile. Teams play against each other all over Shetland from the ages o Under 8 and upwards. Why not have the old southern league and a northern league. Then the winners can play each other or something. If potentially good senior sides like Unst, Whitedale and Ness Utd are thinking of forming their own league or splitting present team to make up more numbers then i think they would be letting down the players that are coming through their junior ranks. Could Cunningsburgh, Sandwick, West Utd or Burra realistically put forward juvenille sides to support senior sides in the future?

Why not have a northern, central and southern league, essentially reserve/works leagues that were feeders to 8 or 9 teams in the Premier league? Players that played in these leagues would still have the option of playing in the premier league as well.

As for this new league involving teams such as unst, yell, ness b and whitedale B. I don't quite see why Unst and yell would want to play a ness "B" side when they both competed well with the A's last year. Especially Unst, who got 4 points from the 2 ties and finished a good few points ahead of them in the League.

Im not sure Boris this seems to have stemmed from the post that offsideRef put up earlier, regarding a rumour they had heard, as I said before this particular topic wasn't discussed at the meeting that Ness United, Whitedale, Burra, Unst, and Yell held last month, so im not up on the ins and outs of it, as far as Ness United are concerned they will be entering teams in the SFA competitions next season, though in what form and how many will have to wait until the SFA AGM has been, on the 1st of Nov, at islesburgh 18.30 kick-off, nobody has approached us with this idea or any details, though as is always polite we would listen to any serious proposal if it were tabled. As far as im aware this is just another idea that folk have been bouncing around and as such it has no serious grounding in fact? I might be wrong it certainly won't be the first time :lol: