2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

Burra/Unst will never happen why would Burra players want to travel to Unst for a home game. The more common sense thing to do would be if Unst feel they can't compete join with Yell. I know how Unst feel that they would only gain one or two better players than they already have but as a competing squad both would be better off. They could still have their independant B teams and even play as Yell and Unst for the Cups but in the League join together. Burra have now lost players to other teams, injuries, retirement and lack off intrest so for Unst to think they will gain more from Burra than Yell that is not the case. Burra could not get 11 players for home games or the Parish Cup so getting half a dozen up to unst every week would be even harder.

Burra should drop down to the B's or join forces with Scalloway. Scalloway A would play at Fraser Park and Scalloway B or Burra would play in Burra which would save Fraser Park as it was in a poor state last season and make use off a very well mentained Burra Park.

This idea off another league is also a non starter if you can't stand the heat go and play in the works league. Football changes and go's around in circles Thistle were unstopable in the 90's now look at them, Scalloway in the 70's, Whitedale in the 80's now Delting are the team and i remember them on the recieving end off the hammerings now they are giving them out.

Mossbank FC?, Hoofields FC? Whalsay C at least 3 more team maybe on the cards next season. OK not going to be great teams but they still need a core off players to set up a team. Players that will come away from your A&B teams. Where will the play? in the works league most probably why? because its a good set up as with the Parish Cup.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Boris is speaking most sense on this forum.

I would have to say that Burra should just try and become Scalloway B with home games in Burra. They just don't seem to have enough players to go it alone whether it be A, B or works league. Ness/Whitedale was a bit of a joke but Unst/Burra is ludicrous! I know Unst and Yell aren't likely to join forces at the moment and I think both can compete at the top level seperatly but I still maintain they should look for a combined team in the future to play in the Premier League. But keep their seperate identities for the Parish Cup or perhaps a regional northern league.

Would letting Thistle B, Celtic B and Spurs B join the works league help those Lerwick clubs who are losing players to the works league anyway? Make the works league into a Lerwick reserve league with chances to play other sides across the isles in some big cup tournament like an FA cup?

Im not saying that Burra and scalloway and, Unst and Yell working together isn't the most practical solution, Im just being a realist and saying that it isn't going to happen in the near future you can't hide from that fact, and to keep pushing teams to that conclusion is only going to make more ill feeling and problems, so look at what its going to take to get next seasons format set now without a team having to fold or go elsewhere, we shouldn't be so complacent as to think that we can pick and choose what teams can compete in the Associations competitions or we will end up with the works league being the largest league in shetland and our competitions being reduced to 6 or 7 teams again which nobody wants.

The main barrier is that there is currently no discussion between Burra & Scalloway and Unst & Yell.

Perhaps the association should take the lead and set up meetings with these clubs to begin the discussion. These teams have a lot to gain and so does Shetland Football if we can get a competative A League with sustainable teams.

I would suggest another meeting with the Lerwick teams and the works league to discuss if they can help each other. AGM's are not the best places for such discussions in my opinion.

This sort off issue need to be sorted out by teams before it gets to the Shetland AGM stage.

Looks like there will be not alot off change in the set up next season going by the report in the times today.

10 team A league

8 or 9 team B league depending on Burra who by the sound off thing don't really have a team to play in either.

Teams in the A league will just have to get on with things the poorer teams get their fingers out and train hard work on tactics. Barca are a far better team on paper than Rangers but they got a result as with Yell v Delting last season.

The B league was a poor set up last season there could have been more games add another cup?if B team standard player get feed up they will go to the works league which has a knock on effect to the A league.

This is what im getting at though if there was any will between these clubs to take such action, then do you not think that one of them would have approached the other?, your right Marshall some way to make the B league more interesting/competitive might help, but your never going to get away from the fact that players in the toon will always be attracted to the league that offers them football on their doorstep with no sprootle.

It's difficult to approach a rival with proposals, you expect to get it thrown back in your face. Any discussions usualy take place in the pub and it's very rare anything sensible is said.

If the Association got the clubs together you might be suprised with the outcome after a sensible discussion.

It's a bit like Northern Ireland.....would peace have been possible if it relied on one side approaching the other, probably not.

I think unst burra could have the potential to work. If managed properly.

As i understand it the idea is that basically Unst will be the A team and Burra the B team.

Unst play in Unst, and Burra in Burra.

This gives Unst the option of having a few of the Burra players playing for them predominantly in away games, to boost unsts squad especially at the beginning of the season

Burra, who will play in the B's, will have the option of playing any unst players that are available and want agame, such as the hostel boys and/or the boys based in the toon. Thus strengthening each squad and neither club loses any identity.

However this will need to be well organised and it will really be up to the players themselves if they want it to work.

8)

As i understand it the idea is that basically Unst will be the A team and Burra the B team.

Unst play in Unst, and Burra in Burra.

This gives Unst the option of having a few of the Burra players playing for them predominantly in away games, to boost unsts squad especially at the beginning of the season

Burra, who will play in the B's, will have the option of playing any unst players that are available and want agame, such as the hostel boys and/or the boys based in the toon. Thus strengthening each squad and neither club loses any identity.

However this will need to be well organised and it will really be up to the players themselves if they want it to work.

Haha, I'm sorry Baxter but this is laughable. The story I keep getting about Unst amalgamation is that it would mean "the end of football in Unst", which is quite frankly nonsense in my opinion.

You said it yourself Baxter - "Compromise."

Penfold, the PL could be an interesting situation however the best playes from the likes of yell and unst would most probably still seek A league football with a few to playing for shetland (quite understandably), and so it would be weakened teams and younger boys playing in it, and therefore i'm not sure if its realistic.

A parish league would encourage yell and unst to have their players playing A league. A full strength unst side would probably win the parish league but we dont want to have runaway winners. The parish league would be a league played in a good spirit where every team would have a chance to win one of the cups. As for all this nonsense about teams joining together i dont see how it would last. It hasnt lasted in the past. The proposed parish league is a way for every team to keep their identity.

Haha, I'm sorry Baxter but this is laughable. The story I keep getting about Unst amalgamation is that it would mean "the end of football in Unst", which is quite frankly nonsense in my opinion

Explain why not spencey. I mean if northern rovers did exist, where would the home games be played, in short the answer is Yell, because teams will come up with excuses so as not to play in Unst. Thus the identity of Unst FC will be gone. :cry:

Guest Anonymous

you want to give it a rest burra had a good team i remember when i played for west side rebbles it was a good crack and we got beat but did we care no as for shetland football its come on the likes of stuart hay he should be playing pro and a lot of other players are the same as him in shetland all i say is give it a rest and let the players play if they want i played for a few teams in the shetlands and the standerd of football is good they can hold thair own both worrks league and premier league so come on shetland get it right lets the teams get on

I must tell you that the proposed parish league doesnt have the backing of the parish cup association at the moment. It looks like the whalsay may be able to enter a team as they are looking to have a third side anyway. Northmavine would cover the delting area with the wrultizers works league team. We dont want to be in competition with the A league and dont want teams that strong in the parish league so delting would seem to be a non-starter. Perhaps what we are proposing is a league that would be in competition with the B league. What the parish league would offer is football at a better standard than B league. It would be much more competetive anyway. Maybe delting could enter in the future but that would depend on some of the players from that area playing for northmavine. The way we see it at the moment that is delting B have alot of players who are too good for that standard of football. Two teams from that area in the parish league could balance that out though.