2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to something that was posted before about playing games during inter county/island games week......

I think we're all aware of who the big losers would be if that was to happen. So, for the people who think it's a good idea, this should be a suitable reaction for you - :oops:

Maybe the SPL could have fixtures when internationals are being played. Good way to give the others a chance against the old firm (and Heart of Lithuania) :roll:

But seriously speaking, this could be a good idea if some rules were in place. i.e do what the lower leagues in Scotland and England do. If a team has a lot of international (or county in our case) call ups, then they can cancel their fixture. A reasonable number would be 3 :?:

Also on the topic of fixture congestion..... Why can't A teams play on the same night as B teams?

Eistnwast der will obviously be some teams ie delting, whalsay etc which will be missing alot of players due to intercoonty (junior and senior) fair enough these teams shouldn't be forced into playing. Other teams which are only missing 1 or 2 players should though be told to play games, as this is what the reserves are for.

I understand however that A teams shouldn't be forced into fielding 11 "B" players, but 1or 2 shouldn't be an issue. Unless for teams who are basically to scared too play without, and to lose without their best players.

However could the likes of whalsay B and delting B not have given unst yell and burra very good opposition this year? I feel they could have

Another thing why is there 2 weeks off for the interconty and why do the junior coonty players have to fulfil a 2 week playing ban. Scotland only this week have lost Paul Hartley and Gary Caldwell (2 key men in Alex McLeish's regime) through injury on sunday when celtic played gretna- this mcleish basically waved away as tough luck. So why can't shetland do the same. There is enough talent in the shetland leagues to cover injuries which would be 1 or 2 at most.

Eistnwast der will obviously be some teams ie delting, whalsay etc which will be missing alot of players due to intercoonty (junior and senior) fair enough these teams shouldn't be forced into playing. Other teams which are only missing 1 or 2 players should though be told to play games, as this is what the reserves are for.

I understand however that A teams shouldn't be forced into fielding 11 "B" players, but 1or 2 shouldn't be an issue. Unless for teams who are basically to scared too play without, and to lose without their best players.

However could the likes of whalsay B and delting B not have given unst yell and burra very good opposition this year? I feel they could have

Another thing why is there 2 weeks off for the interconty and why do the junior coonty players have to fulfil a 2 week playing ban. Scotland only this week have lost Paul Hartley and Gary Caldwell (2 key men in Alex McLeish's regime) through injury on sunday when celtic played gretna- this mcleish basically waved away as tough luck. So why can't shetland do the same. There is enough talent in the shetland leagues to cover injuries which would be 1 or 2 at most.

I don't understand. Celtic, Rangers or Derby County will not be made to play competative football this weekend without international players why should Delting, Thistle or Whitedale be forced to play without county players?

Senior football has to stop for Shetland games. It should only be the day(three daysish) for the game against Orkney. The Island Games will have to be around the 10 days the travel and competition takes.

No whessht i mean that the weekend before these teams should still play, none of these bans or breaks for 2 weeks which disrupt the season.

Remember unst were made to play without erik thomson and neil laurenson (who wer on a 2 week ban for the junior intercounty) last year and got thumped by scalloway. 10-0.

Fair enough have a break on Senior County night itself, but not for any other times as this would give teams more leaway at the beginning and end of the season.

Remember unst were made to play without erik thomson and neil laurenson (who wer on a 2 week ban for the junior intercounty) last year and got thumped by scalloway. 10-0.

Nothing to do with the senior association that "ban", one imposed, I suspect, by the junior manager.

Why though??? whats the point, in general most players go through games withou receiving injuries. It should be up to the clubs and the individual player not to the shetland junior county manager.

Did Alex Mcleish phone last week and tell Roy Keane not to play Craig Gordon against Arsenal.

Or did Steven Gerrard tell Rafa Benitez that he didn't want to play for Liverpool last week beacause he MIGHT get injured before England v Estonia.

I doubt it!!

Why are the teams bing crippled for the gain of another, here are plenty of good junior players in shetland to call upon. Its just the junior coach feeling that he "needs" to win to make himself look good.

Why though??? whats the point, in general most players go through games withou receiving injuries. It should be up to the clubs and the individual player not to the shetland junior county manager.

The answer is simple, long thought out, mulled over and discussed at junior level.

Junior players only ever get, usually, two opportunities to play a junior county, some may get three and others only the one. Injuries are part of football and life in general. However, to minimise the risk to these players of missing that chance it has been the norm to "ban" them from playing senior football two weeksish prior to the game. In addition junior football stops a week before.

The "ban" has sometimes been strictly enforced and sometimes a loose agreement which is left to players themselves.

It is just there to minimise the risk and prevent injury to boys who would miss out on a once in a lifetime event.