2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

Is there any hope of someone halting Deltings seemingly inevitable charge to their 7th straight title?

What about the Highland Amateur Cup - any clubs thought about entering this year?

Any good pre-season trips planned by anyone?

etc etc!!

Tells wis da goss in da isle and dan we'll tell d wirs

:wink:

Ok.

Not much to tell really - squad the same.

As for the Highland Amateur Cup, we've thought (and still are thinking) about it but not made a decision yet. It is a great competition to play in - gives us mere mortals a taste of "European Action" and i would recommend it to any club to try. I would say that it is a big commitment and shouldn't be taken lightly though - once you get the date for your next game you've got to get it played or you're out!

Pre-season plans wil depend on whether we enter that Comp or not.

As for halting the Delts.......we've been the closest lately and will keep trying. Easier said than done though!!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well wir just working away trying to improve on last season's A league position, and making a foray into the B league this season first time we have fielded two teams in the SFA league's in more than a few years.

As for the Highland Amatuer cup, doot we'll just work awa with the Highland fuels this year, though good luck to you if you do enter as your right it is a good competition and a sign of ambition within your club.

Delting well hopefully we will improve on our home form against them this year and compete better with them overall.

Pre-season just the usual friendlies and training nights/days, no plans for a pre-season trip away but it was the A managers intention to look at a trip away at the end of the season if the team met the goals set dis year :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking news.

The 2008 works league looks to consist of 9 teams this year competing for the league and Sandwick Fc entering the Associations two knock-out cups.

The two new teams for the league are Mossbank Fc and West Linga rovers.

Sandwick who are looking to get more football under their belt to help their Parish cup aspirations are entering the cup competitions without players who would also be playing for either the Ness A or B teams.

Burra sadly look like they will take no part in senior mens football at all this year, as to the games being played in the toon all the clubs at the AGM agreed to travel to Whalsay, Brae and Sandwick in the cups so it at least within in this particular association there seems to be a culture of compromise and willingness to accomodate the needs of the wider group instead of everyone out for themselves.

It was a well attended meeting, with representation from Banks, Malakoff, Titans, Cosmos, Services, Wurltizers, West Linga Rovers, Mossbank, Sandwick , as well as Ness United only Chernobyl failed to attend, other things that were tabled were the intention of the works league select to enter a team into the County Shield again and also a pre season opener to their season with 2007 league Champions Wurltizers taking on a league select in a sort of Charity shield type affair, all in all I thought it was a progressive and well run association a breath of fresh air in football if you ask me.

..... at least within in this particular association there seems to be a culture of compromise and willingness to accomodate the needs of the wider group instead of everyone out for themselves.

.......all in all I thought it was a progressive and well run association a breath of fresh air in football if you ask me.

Are you saying it might be an idea for all Association Clubs to seek entry to the Works League next year?

Could be an interesting proposition!!

^ :lol: No I just stated that it was refreshing to be at an AGM where everybody seemed to be working towards the goal of getting people playing football.

Might be an idea you've stumbled on there though bogle, it would mean two divisons with relegation and promotion if they decided to accept your applications to enter their association :)

I mean it would be the only way to make it workable wouldn't it?

Looks like the season will start for the A's around the 18th/21st of april for the Premier league and the 30th for the B league, 10 teams in the Premier league are:

Celtic

Delting

Ness United

Scalloway

Spurs

Thistle

Whalsay

Whitedale

Unst

Yell

There will be 8 teams in the B league

Celtic

Delting

Ness United

Scalloway

Spurs

Thistle

Whalsay

Whitedale

Other points of interest are a 7-a-side fundraising competition on the 12th of April for the county squad to be followed by a night in posers later.

The referee's are looking to put their fee's up to "fall in line with there parent association" upto £28 per game as well as 20p per mile travelling expenses from the referee's point of departure to the game officated and home again.

Though this has still to be agreed by the Shetland fooball association and was the topic of much discussion amongst the clubs present.

This proposel from the referees is a disgrace. Most of them are overpaid and useless as it is. What about trying to help Shetland football. This means that a referee will be charging.

Ness Utd / Delting £28+ (£0.2 x 25 miles x 2) =£38

Yell approx. £28 + ( £0.2 x 40 miles x2 + approx ferry fare £6) = £50

Unst £60 approx.

This cannot be allowed!!!

These refs are only interested in pocketing cash at the players expense. I hope the association told them where to go!!

[/u][/b]

Commodore I put thistle in the list as the thistle rep said it was still in the balance and for the purposes of the fixtures it would be easier to take you out than put you back in.

Ferry fares are currently covered by the Association if the referee bothers to claim them back I believe.

As for the referee's I think they do a valuable job, because with out them there can be no games end of story, but there are certain referee's that just do not do games outside the central mainland, there are currently 12 suitably registered referee's I understand, and it would appear that there are 4 or 5 that do not officiate at games in the Isles, far nort and deep sooth,

I would propose that the new fee's be paid to the refs that do travel to ALL areas of Shetland and the ones that refuse to do so are paid the current flat fee of £24 pounds. To qualifiy for the upper fee of £28 plus 20p per mile travel expenses they must agree to officiate games at all locations in the Shetland area, once they have completed these games they would get their travel expenses paid in a lump sum?

the stark fact of the matter is that without refs there is no football, but some clubs will struggle to fund it, and conversely without the football clubs there will be no games for the refs to officiate at =no fees for them either.

so hopefully there will be a bit of common sense applied to this and the two associations will sit down and sort out a fair compromise.

This isnt just a Shetland Football Association problem it will affect all levels of football in the Isles, womens, juniors, works league and the county games.

Good on d Baxter the mair refs the better :wink: