2008 - Shetland Fitba

Bogle

who would you give your player of the season vote to :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

any inside info penfold?

I'm not sure who i'd give my vote to to be honest.

Burra should be allowed into the B's its just common sense, theres no way that they can be expected to enter the A's again next year. Unless for some teams like spurs and thistle who want guaranteed points as they've struggled against the likes of unst this year

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im no sure who the club wid vote for there has been a few suggested by wir manager, but as yet i think we're still undecided, I would hope the Association would let Burra drop down but, I am fearful that they demand that they stay up because if they set the precedent this time of letting a club step down they will end up in the future with other clubs asking for the same.

I would hope the Association would let Burra drop down but, I am fearful that they demand that they stay up because if they set the precedent this time of letting a club step down they will end up in the future with other clubs asking for the same.

I aleady posted a suitable compromise that can solve this problem, but I'd like to discuss the other point from this post, and this.........

I am led to believe that Whitedale, Unst, Ness, and Yell would support Burra in their request to drop down to B league

Maybe you're saying Whalsay and Scalloway won't support Burra's request, as they have most to gain if Burra fold? :twisted:

I think there is going to be a push to examine just what it is the SFA is doing for all its member clubs or as it seems just a vehicle to be used for the benefit of the top clubs.

The SFA = the clubs, so surely if there is a good enough turnout at any meeting, the top clubs have as much say as the rest :?: :shock: :?

Very astute EistnWast, your right the SFA does equal the clubs and it is a democracy, there were many ideas put forward but none other than the SFA suggestion over all the single team clubs coming up would suit, what I fear is that it ends in a split again because the SFA wont compromise.

If Ness, Unst, Yell, Whitedale support Burra's wish to drop down to the B league, it still leaves Whalsay, Delting, Scalloway, Celtic, Thistle, and Spurs, plus the votes of the committe members to be swayed and that failed last year, the clubs that were made to come up have had more time to look at their options and see what is best for them, In the SFA constitution one of its aims is to promote football in Shetland, how can it reconcile that with what is tantamount to forcing Burra out of the association because it dosn't conform to the accepted vision some people have of what a football club should be?

If they feel they can keep their club afloat and can improve its fortunes I think they should be given the chance, not that I hold any special thought for Burra, in fact when I see people moaning about Delting and Celtic scoring the teens of goals against them it makes me laugh, as Burra were just as guilty of it when playing Cunningsburgh in the Southern league, but I would hope that they get the chance to keep their club in the SFA set-up and turn their fortunes around.

I just can't see the clubs that pushed for the new set-up as it was last year there were 6 of them voting to let Burra go down a league next season, so it will require the support of the committee, and they will be fearful that it will make it easier for Unst and Yell to step back down in the future, as I think they will in a few years time.

Ness, Whitedale, Burra, Unst, and Yell have already met to discuss their options for next season and the best way to move forward, last year it was more or less a case of like it or lump it, and it left a lot of ill feeling.

The compromise would be to let Burra go down a league, and continue with the rest in the A league.

Changes should be made to the rules on A players playing in the B league, so that the players that are on the subs list for your A team are the only players eligable to play in the B's instead of 3 named A players being eligable.

Also the county break needs to be looked at, if teams are able to play fixtures when the county team is away then they should, that is what their "reserve" teams are for is it not? to provide a place for players to play and develop with an eye to getting a place in the A team, what happens just now is oh we cant fufill that fixture because 5 of our first team players are away with the county? what about the 11 starting players in their "reserve" team, are they just for ornamental display? couldn't the best of of them be drafted into the A team to meet the fixture or is that to much to ask?

Ness United and Unst had to do without their players when they were on Junior county duty, and away at the Edinburgh tournament, did they say we can't play? no they got players and played the fixture's, one example being Unsts defeat to Scalloway in one of the cups 10-0 or 10-1 I think.

When I see people moaning about Delting and Celtic scoring the teens of goals against them it makes me laugh, as Burra were just as guilty of it when playing Cunningsburgh in the Southern league. Not sure you got that right Penfold. How many of those Burra players who humped Cunningsburgh actually played any fitba for Burra this season? Name tham if you can? Me thinks you ,like I do with that comment, have a chip on your shoulder!

As for your last post, spot on. What is the point of reserve teams if you do not play when the county are away. Why should Ness and Unst play without County players when Celtic and Delting do not have too.

Afterall Ness and Unst have the future stars of the County set up.

Fair enough 4 started the season for them John William Laurenson, John William Halcrow, Marvin Inkster, Ian Uren, it wasn't a dig at Burra as from what I can see they havn't complained but there have been people posting on here saying that it was wrong, and I was pointing out that it happens in football and every team that has the chance to score goals will do it.

why have 1 b team when you could have 2... Burra will be a strong and competitive b league outfit. It would be a shame to KILL a club just to suit a few people...such as yourselves MiM and Stoichkov

It doesn't suit me in the slightest - I merely made, what seemed to me to be a valid suggestion, that would ensure regular football being played in Burra in the event of the SFA forbidding their inclusion in a B league.

For if that happens the only competitive football available to Burra would be the Parish Cup and - maybe - the Works League, which, I understand, has to be played in Lerwick. So Burra's newly refurbished pitch could see no senior men's football played on it - a shame.

I don't even know if Scalloway fielded a B team this year - if they did, and I'm sure someone will be able to let us know - then my suggestion is irrelevant.

Where in my post does it even suggest it would suit me to 'KILL a club' - you're reading something that simply isn't there. Don't dare try and accuse me of something I haven't.

I appreciate it may go against the grain for the Burra folk, but couldn't they just call themselves Scalloway B and play their home games at Burra?

if burra call themselves scallowa b, then theres no burra, so there is no burra football club. You didn't say it in as many words mim, but it kinda suggests it.

and I THINK scllowa hav there own b team, so that kinda rules it oot anyway, as scalloways b players widna b very happy.

Ness United and Unst had to do without their players when they were on Junior county duty, and away at the Edinburgh tournament, did they say we can't play? no they got players and played the fixture's, one example being Unsts defeat to Scalloway in one of the cups 10-0 or 10-1 I think.

absolutely penfold, without erik Thomson and neil laurenson, unst drew with yell 1-1, which wouldn't have happened with them. And they lost 10-0 to scalloway and remember unst managed to beat scallowa nearer the end of he season with them so these players make a HUGE difference

if burra call themselves scallowa b, then theres no burra, so there is no burra football club. You didn't say it in as many words mim, but it kinda suggests it.

and I THINK scllowa hav there own b team, so that kinda rules it oot anyway, as scalloways b players widna b very happy.

Nonsense.

It could be made clear to EVERYBODY that what I am suggesting is precisely the case - Burra FC would exist in all but name as far as the SFA is concerned and would, obviously be Burra in the PCA.

Sandwick, Cunningsburgh and Southend don't, as far as I'm aware, have competitive fixtures outside the Parish Cup - your argument implies that there are none of these clubs in existence.

Anyway, as you imply - it's a moot point if Scalloway DO have their own B team.

Can someone set us right on that one?