Coins

Twerto

yes Coins..

I'm not a collector.. but was wondering if anyone knew why we still persist in using 1p and 2p coins and to some degree 5p coins.. isn't it time we lived in a rounded world of 10p and up.. I know in years to come even 10p and 20p will seem pointless too.. but at the moment i will just stick with why do we still use 1p and 2p's?

surely for everyone it would be easier to start working to the £1 instead of 99p?

There's maybe next to nothing priced between 1p and 5p per se, but there's still quite a lot of things priced at higher totals that use the amounts between 1p and 5p.

Removing coins from circulation would just be a convenient was of tacking on semi-hidden price increases, virtually no-one would round down with the higher value totals, it almost always gets rounded up. Future price increases would also be in greater increments than would have otherwise occured. We've seen it all before, every time money get's re-arranged it happens, it did in '71 with decimalisation, it did again to a much lesser degree with the removal of the 1/2p coin, and Joe Public in much of Europe is still bitter about the price hikes that got sneaked in along with the changeover to the Euro.

It's no big deal and no amount of money to get uptight over when it's stuff you buy in low numbers, it would take a long time for the difference to be counted in Pounds, but it's a whole other ball game if it's items you buy in larger numbers frequently. If something suddenly increases by 4p because there's no denomination below 5p any longer, you only need to have to buy 25 of the item for you to have needlessly put a £1.00 coin in someone else's pocket.

Commodore wrote

maybe so bairns can buy 1p and 2p sweets.

Yet already lots of bairns throw away 1p and 2p coins because it is not "cool" to use them. I think we must be close to the time where it is sensible to stop using "coppers" and I wonder if the rounding up of prices to £X might not be offset to some extent by rounding prices down to £X.95. After all one of the reasons for the £X.99 price point is that stores can appear to be selling something for say £4 rather than £5.

Although the coins probably will go I see no reason for utility companies not to continue using pennies or even fractions of pennies in their bills rather than rounding something up from say 6p to 10p a unit which could be seriously expensive when the bill comes in. I trust our elected representatives will keep watching for this.

Apparently, the reason that .99 pricing came into place was to stop shop assistants pilfering the cash. They had to open the cash register to hand over change and thus make the transaction. Read that somewhere a while back.

I am sure that before too much longer we won't have to worry about whether or not to keep our 1p and 2p coins, or our 5p, 20p, 50p, £1.00, £2.00 or £5.00 coins for that matter. It will all turn electronic eventually with either a card or some other means of paying. After that it will no doubt be biometric data used before the inevitable chip-implanting takes place.

You think its bad getting your wallet stolen? Wait until they start chopping off your fingers and gouging out yer eyeballs! :)

I read some where a few months back that they are piloting a scheme in africa ( yes i know its a big place but i cant remember where abouts :P ) where they use mobile phones to do any money transcations.. just fill your phone full of credit and use that to do buy what you want..

handy for if you ever loose you wallet you can just ring it to find it has fallen into the wifes hand bag again ;).

I read some where a few months back that they are piloting a scheme in africa ( yes i know its a big place but i cant remember where abouts :P ) where they use mobile phones to do any money transcations.. just fill your phone full of credit and use that to do buy what you want..

im sure that would work a treat, mobile phone theft would become ridiculous!