Tall Ship's Race Måløy 2008 1-4 august

Freyr

Have you attended MÃ¥løydagene and are you going to MÃ¥løy for the Tall Ship's Race?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you attended Måløydagene and are you going to Måløy for the Tall Ship's Race?

• I have attended MÃ¥løydagene and am going to MÃ¥løy in 2008
    • I have attended MÃ¥løydagene, but I am NOT going to MÃ¥løy in 2008
    • I have NOT attended MÃ¥løydagene, but I am going to MÃ¥løy in 2008
    • I have NOT attended MÃ¥løydagene and am NOT going to MÃ¥løy in 2008

As you can see on the fine Events Calendar Måløy in Norway will be one of the main ports in next year's Tall Ship's Race. This event is billed as the greatest cultural event in Sogn og Fjordane county ever and the olympics of the sea. It's going to be much bigger than the Måløydagene festival so if anyone has attended one of those you'll have gotten a small taste.

I just wanted to know if anyone is planning to attend? If you are planning to come with your own boat or by land? And if anyone has been to Måløydagene and what you thought of that?

I'm going myself and I don't have anything to do with the festival itself, but I can give tips and relay contact to the correct people.

Im currently in Måløy, ( well Flatrocket ((Spelling ?? )) and they are already getting things on the go with banners and such like about the place.

Tempted to just stay here till it is over then travel down to Bergan to catch it there too.. but i dont think my work wil give me a holiday for a year :? :(

Does anyoen know if anyone is looking to Charter a plane or Boat from shetland since the Narrona isn't sailing anymore?

One annoying thing tho is they are closing the bridge to normal traffic during the festavil so peopel dont stop to take pictures.. I am told it goes for pedestrians too.. all though im not totally believing that bit till i see it myself in english..

Is there not an invite for the last howevermany (6 or 7 or 8) Jarls squads to go there? And a request for Northlink to put one of their boats over?

I've never been to the Måløydagene festival, but would love to go there next year. Sounds like a good crack.

Unfortunately, unlike twerto, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be able to sneak across now and stay till it's over! Ah well!

Im currently in Måløy, ( well Flatrocket ((Spelling ?? )) and they are already getting things on the go with banners and such like about the place.

[...]

One annoying thing tho is they are closing the bridge to normal traffic during the festavil so peopel dont stop to take pictures.. I am told it goes for pedestrians too.. all though im not totally believing that bit till i see it myself in english..

That must be Flatraket :)

I know there will be constant shuttle buses from designated parking areas outside the town of Måløy since there aren't enough parking there. So you won't be able to drive into the town yourself, but I seriously doubt there will be any traffic restrictions on pedestrians. Seems like someone has misunderstood or is pulling your leg. :)

Ahh yeah that's the name..

taken the first morning we were there..

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/Twerto/Norway%202007/Norway_219.jpg

this was taken a few days ago now..

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i197/Twerto/Norway%202007/Tallships.jpg

Well I hope a boat could be arranged from Shetland. I suspect people connected to the Jarl Squad and Lerwik Spurs are personally invited so a lot of people could turn up. There probably are enough passenger ships to go around so it won't disrupt regular traffic :)

I remember some of the big trawlers from Shetland were here for Måløydagene some years ago.

Here is a nice page on the municipality of Vågsøy, where Måløy is (Flatraket is in Selje municipality): http://vivest.no/vaagsoy.html#vivest%20Engelsk

Lots of nice pictures at least.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does Shetland have a sail ship? Is there any ship on Shetland that could potentially represent the islands in the Tall Ship Race? Is there a sailing organisation in Shetland? Have any of the old sail freighters and similar been preserved in the islands?