Fish Farming & Aquaculture

peeriebryan

So the Aith site is being closed because of high operational costs then?

That is what the article suggests:

http://www.shetlandmarine.com/2009/04%20Aquaculture/sea_lice_shut_down_aith_salmon_farm.htm

Mainstream managing director William Young said they had been badly hit by sea lice at Aith Voe, the same problem which has devastated other fish farms in the area.

Hundreds of thousands of fish off the west coast have been killed by sea lice during the past six months, though Mr Young said their main problem was restricted growth.

“Slow growth is the biggest impact of sea lice. The fish we had were around 3 kilos and they should have been 4.2 kilos,†he said.

“We have decided to exit the four sites we operate in Aith as we do not expect to produce efficiently even after the present sanitary problems have been managed.

“Like everything else in this world today it’s about economics and we can’t operate if we are losing money.â€

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now they want compensation for there mess ups.

http://www.shetlandmarine.com/2009/04%20Aquaculture/isa_controls_hammer_salmon_industry.htm

how convenient they face making cuts because of these health issues. nothing to do with the stonking losses that they have been making.

i thought i read somewhere that the sea lice were an indication of poor management.

^^^^ Not necessarily. Once sea lice get into a cage there's not a lot you can do. Because of the density of the stocking they will quickly spread to all the fish in the cage. They used to have a chemical treatment which killed the lice, but I think that was banned as it was pretty nasty stuff.

Mind you, I'm no expert on this so I could easily be wrong.

now they want compensation for there mess ups.

Why should they not get compensation? If cattle must be slaughtered (TB, BSE etc) the farmer will be compensated by the government. It is the government imposed controls which are preventing the smolts from being put into the sea, and there are no alternative sites available for the smolts to go to.

over stocking a single species will result in lots of parasites. if you have a large field of cabbages your sure to get cabbage white butterflies, keep stocking the same field with the same thing and other things build up.

http://www.erionline.co.uk/ctsli.htm

there seem to be 6 drugs available or were.

but i suspect a lot of this reduction is down to the cost saving. shetland is making a loss so they stop using shetland and there loss goes away. they have then removed compition from the shetland farms and they dont get blamed for the job losses.

they could stock some of there cages but the enviroment would cost them money.

The sites owned by Mainstream in Aith are being closed due to the sea lice and not making money and Mainstream hope to find a buyer for them. But Mainstream are stocking their sites in Yell and Orkney so they are still a big operator here in Shetland. These sites in Aith have been used for over 20 years with little or no problems till the sea lice took hold. Maybe if the owners got compensation they could keep the Aith sites and leave them empty for a few months with the hope of using them again.

err i don't think giving funds to them is an option. sounds to much like the bank deals. what about the state aid rules. why would anyone want to take over these sites they are bug infested. they have now got the area around the cages infected by these blood suckers they are now not going to vanish. this does indicate that they have been damaging the environment for years. its just now that they are beginning to see the results. heavily stock anything and there bugs will take off with them to.

this is just what was going to happen in a recession they are going to pull back to the core centres. Shetland is not one. if they cant make them work then its been shown that salmon farming is not a long term business. the only way you could overcome these bugs is if you had say 5 sites and you rotated them every few years. keeping static is going to cause trouble. what are the sea lice going to eat now. anyone want to bet that the sea trout are going to get hit hard.

Obviously the Aith sites were working untill the lice took hold. These sites have been used for salmon for over 20 years I would have thought that would be a long term business. And who knows if the lice are still in these sites all the salmon have gone. And what if the sites are left barren and in a few months used again will the lice just be waiting for a nice juicy salmon then?

the only way you could overcome these bugs is if you had say 5 sites and you rotated them every few years. keeping static is going to cause trouble

Are you an expert on salmon farming? I very much doubt it!

Salmon farming has been viable in Aith and all over Shetland for at least 20 years, pretty sure the Aith Voe has always had stocked cages in that time as well.

I don't know why the lice has been worse this year than others but I won't post silly comments claiming to know how to overcome them!

paul, the lice only live six to eight weeks, so without a constant food source numbers will depleted rapidly. There is a natural stock of wild fish in the voe, but it is unlikely that they will provide a regenerative food supply for the lice any more than they have been in recent years. That is, number of lice will collapse in 6-8 weeks without the presence of a huge food source.

http://www.upei.ca/~anatphys/Sea_Lice/licecycl.htm

There can be few fish and parasite relationships that have ever been so well studied, so I think it is a safe bet that reduction measures are more than just a fad.

There are other issues regarding lice management that are arising in the industry but ultra-long lifespan, hibernation or omnivorous traits are not thought to be amongst them as far as I know.

over stocking a single species will result in lots of parasites.

Paul, do you ever need to treat your sheep for worms or fluke? Are you using a pour-on insecticide dip? The presence of parasites is not necessarily a sign of bad husbandry. They are in the environment looking for a host, it would be poor husbandry NOT to use pesticides. I'm guessing the lice population must have recently developed resistance to the available treatments. What happened to the idea of breeding lice-eating wrasse at the Fisheries College to put in the cages with the salmon?

they could stock some of there cages but the enviroment would cost them money.

According to the article, they are not allowed to stock the cages because of government restrictions. If there are no other sites available, I don't see why the government shouldn't pay compensation for legitimate losses caused by government policy.

if i say had a hundred sheep and 5 acres and kept those sheep there for years on end would you be surprised if you end up with a lot of sick or dead sheep.

your right i know very little about salmon farming. but it does cycle between success or failure. i think we should expect and maybe prepare for the next down turn.

if you don't rotate a site then your going to build up problems. if you stock a site for years on end its going to alter the natural balance of the area.

research was done about the lice and its been shown to cause damage to the natural wild fish stock. hence the salmon rivers in Scotland not being in love with farms.

http://www.straight.com/article-139179/calculating-true-cost-salmon-farming

biased but interesting.

when its cheaper to buy salmon than a standard white fish you should start thinking something is not right.