How can I get rid of this...?

Marjolein

I do have the same prob. Took me three days to get that thingy to which the software is reporting isolated in a secure way from the quarataine section. Managed in the end and sent it to the software company reporting an unidentified file which might be either an unknown virus or an unwanted prog with some special risks.

Received an auto-mail that they are searching but so far no reactions from the labs about what to do.

Specs for my installed system and software:

WinXP with IE 7 and installed avira antivir pro for standard antivir checks incl. e-mail checks, zonealarme security suite pro as firewall and adaware SE personal ... all security systems reporting though in different ways

Well, the avira folks told me today that the thingy that comes down to my puter and causes the alert when switching between different Shetlink forums is a version of the well known trojan TR/Java.Downloader.Gen (classified as seldom, low risk, low damage potential).

Their update from today detects it immediatly for deletion but it still appears when on Shetlink ... :-(

That must not mean that the thingy originated from Shetlink, it might also be that it is just activated or resonding because of a java application on the site. No idea whether there is one or not. The remaining prob is that it is not in those sun/java directories on my puter where it was normally copied to after a secret download of the carrying zip file in the past.

There is absolutely nothing on the base build of Shetlink that will be associated with this trojan "TR/Java.Downloader.Gen". There are no Java based applications on this site whatsoever.

I am currently investigating the third party advertisers "just incase" there is any possibility that anything has managed to get through "our net".

Do note however, that trojans and viruses such as the one noted in this thread if activated on a client computer can and do interact with Internet based pages - even if they have nothing to do with the initial "infection".

• 2 weeks later...
There is absolutely nothing on the base build of Shetlink that will be associated with this trojan "TR/Java.Downloader.Gen". There are no Java based applications on this site whatsoever.

I am currently investigating the third party advertisers "just incase" there is any possibility that anything has managed to get through "our net".

Do note however, that trojans and viruses such as the one noted in this thread if activated on a client computer can and do interact with Internet based pages - even if they have nothing to do with the initial "infection".

Absolutely agreed.

Final report:

They managed to trace from where I got that nasty thingy (it wasn't more than that): It came from a UK based website which shows dozens of stunning aerial views of Shetland and Orkney. That site was i) infected and ii) recently linked to the German and UK version of one start up tourist info website from where I visited the infected site.

If anyone interested, I will give you the URL via pm but for the moment I don't want to publish it because it looks like that the guy is still working on getting definitely rid of that thingy but he has done such a tremendous job in publishing those pics that I do hope he will manage somehow. He must have been in the air for weeks to produce the collection which is the biggest collection of aerials from Shetland and Orkney I've ever seen so far.

What was new to that version: i) it reacted not only on java applets but on 'powerfull animations' as well as they do come along on Shetlink as adverts for emoticons (at least when looking from Germany on the left of the site) and it ii) resets your own browser security settings to lowest level.

After deleting that thingy and all affected favourites (I'm using IE 7 normally) I had to re-adjust my security settings again and finish ... :-D

Sorry for causing irritations ... ;-)

• 1 month later...

Here's one for you techies. A friend of mine has an old PC with TFT display. While in use the TFTs own inbuilt control panel keeps popping up on the screen, even when the PC is doing nothing, and spookily cycling through its own options very slowly. I tried updating his graphics driver for him to no avail.

Point of note: when the PC is off the monitor is instantly responsive to it's own controls, but when the PC is on it is very unresponsive.

The monitor is not new to the PC, it all came as a package, though the fault has been present for quite a while now, the system ran for a long time without fault.

I tried to find a new monitor driver, but the manufacturer doesn't list one fo rthe model :roll: I found one i think is correct on a third party site but i'm apprehensive about banging into unfamiliar territory, as if it is wrong, or i do it wrongly the screen will be blank, and i'll be up the creek with a black screen for a paddle.

Any idea what's going on?

I wouldn't have thought it to be a driver problem as monitors don't have the ability to adjust the built-in controls from the PC. The graphics driver only affects the graphics card. The monitor driver rarely does much more than list the supported modes and install a colour profile or two.

It sounds more like the buttons themselves are sticky and/or faulty. What is the model of monitor? Is it micro-switch type buttons or something else?

It seems odd that there is a difference when the monitor is plugged in compared to when it isn't. Could something be shorting out or causing interference anywhere? Any sort of wireless devices nearby that might be causing a problem (phones, routers, keyboards, mice)?

Hmm, i wondered about that, the wireless dongle was velcroed to the side of the monitor, i took it off on a notion but it's still lying about a foot away, i'll get him to try moving it further away still*. The monitor is an ACER AL511 (IIRC). I'll gee him a bell tomorrow. Cheers Pooks.

* the plan, ironically, is for me to go and do some re-cabling to move all his comm's gadgets out of sight into his computer 'cupboard', which would render the wireless pointless anyway as it will be easy supplied cable distance from the router. There may lie the answer. (Ironic as removing wireless seems a step back)

Another thought...some monitors have a demo-mode that they go into when no signal is received from the graphics card. It could be that the monitor isn't sure if it is plugged in or not. Might be worth checking the pins to make sure none are bent/worn/full of fluff etc etc...

How old is the PC? More important, how old is the monitor? If it's recent enough to be made with "lead-free" solder it may be a dodgy connection somewhere inside the monitor - lead free solder is proving "somewhat" less reliable than proper solder, despite its environmental friendliness.

And if that's what it is, good luck to the hapless tech who goes in there looking for it - most lead free joints look "dry"!