District Heating

valhalla

Is anybody else freezing?

The district heating was meant to be back on at 6am this morning and it's still not on now!

I have called the engineer a few times from about 10am and been promised it will be back on anything from 1 hour then the latest update was it would be back on again in 10mins, that was an hour ago!!

Wonder how the Gilbert bain is coping without heating and hot water.

I only got the Shetland Times today and was interested to read about the possibility of two or three wind turbines backing up the district heating scheme.

I think the idea of smaller scale wind turbines that directly serve the local community may be a better approach. We should harness our resources for our own benefit.

http://www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/Shetlandtimes/content_details.asp?ContentID=23680

• 11 months later...

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_09_2008/Huge%20hike%20for%20towns%20cheap%20heat.htm

why is lerwick getting cheaper energy than the other parts of shetland. they are getting it at half the price we are. unfair if they had to pay the full price there may be more intrest in renewable energy.

why is the charitable trust running this scheme at a loss. they must be the only power company to be doing so. the customers should pay the market cost like the rest of us.

how much has this scheme cost to set up. when can we in wester skeld expect cheap heating. would it not be cheaper to install alternative heat sorces.

my bill for power is going to be over £1500 so im looking forward to getting a cheque for £750 from the charitable trust.

(*** Mod - Merged ***)

you need to be on benifits.

its odd i scotland you the coldest area of britian but you have the worst warm front scheme. in england you could get a new heating system and cavity wall insulation for nothing if your on a disabilty benifit/child/working tax credit. up here its restricted to the over 75s. ive been told irs going to be a cold winter what joy.

in england you could get a new heating system and cavity wall insulation for nothing if your on a disabilty benifit/child/working tax credit. up here its restricted to the over 75s.

Eh? I don't think that's right. Try phoning Hjaltland Housing or someone for confirmation. I know people under 75 who have had grant assistance for new heating systems. Don't know if they got it free but it was certainly substantially assisted.

If you or your spouse are in receipt of certain income-related benefits, or are aged 60 or over, you may be eligible for a grant of up to £500 to have your home insulated under the Scottish Government's Warm Deal. If you are aged 60 or over and not in receipt of income-related benefits, you can get a smaller grant of up to £125.

The Home Energy Efficiency (Scheme) Scotland Regulations, effective from January 2007, also extended the Warm Deal programme to households with children with disabilities and receiving the Disability Living Allowance. These homes can have free insulation measures installed up to the value of £500.

Warm Deal

Edit --> More info on the Sic Website

Back to the question...

I downloaded SHEAP's last set of accounts from Companies House. They show a profit of £167,938 for the year to 31 March 2007 and a profit of £104,946 for the previous year. Any losses must be more recent. It's hard to tell from the article if SHEAP is actually currently running at a loss or has just not been raking in as much profit as it could. Neville Martin does say

I have profit targets to meet to give returns to the charitable trust

I believe there ar plans for a district heating scheme in Scalloway in the distant future, but the cost of pipework makes it too expensive for sparsely populated rural areas.