Sheltie dugs

I'm going out on a limb here - not entirely sure of my facts, but this is what I seem to remember about it...

In the past sheep were often rounded up individually, ie using a dog that would tackle an individual sheep, knock it over and keep it still. Shetland sheepdogs were good at that and were bred with this use in mind.

These days though, sheep are generally caad in groups, so people have dogs that do this job better - usually border collies I think.

As I say, I could be entirely wrong, but that's my memory of it.

I thought "Lassie" was not a shetland collie, it's the smaller ones which are? Anyway, this is the first result from google

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_Sheepdog

Which states "Ironically, the Shetland Sheepdog is only rarely found in Shetland, having been replaced by the Border Collie". Also says an alternative name for it is a "Toonie dog" :lol:

I've always been told that Shetland Collies, and Shetland Sheepdogs were two completely different breeds. The Shetland Sheepdog, like the Shetland Grice and so on has been extinct for a very long time, they looked nothing like a Shetland Collie, and were big enough to be used, and were used for rounding up livestock in the same manner as sheepdogs are today. However the Border Collies the Scotties inevitably brought in with them post 1468 were by far the superior animal for the job, and quickly replaced the Shetland Sheepdog.

The Shetland Collie as we know it today, was of little practical use unless for maybe rounding up hens, ducks, geese or the likes, possibly the occasional stray or annoying peerie bairn on occasion.... In their day they were said to be somewhat bigger than those we know, they were purposely bred smaller and smaller simply because there was a market mainly outwith Shetland, for them with folks with more money than sense who thought they made "cute" pets.