Best Chipshop in shetland...

steven096

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defo the Fort, Never had a bad supper from them yet.

Going to show my age here now, but does anybody remember a chip van that was run by a father and son. I'm sure they were Italian.

The van used to sit opposite John Leask and son before the zebra crossing was there!

They were the best chips etc ever!

I found out that they used to cook everything in dripping! No wonder it taste so good!

Not so good for the old arteries though

Going to show my age here now, but does anybody remember a chip van that was run by a father and son. I'm sure they were Italian.

The van used to sit opposite John Leask and son before the zebra crossing was there!

They were the best chips etc ever!

I found out that they used to cook everything in dripping! No wonder it taste so good!

Was that the guy with the light blue diesel Commer van, around 77/78, or somebody else after? There were a couple who where around with a white Commer with a red roof by around '79 that sorta replaced the guy with the blue one. I think they eventually sold it to someone local who kept it on it to the 80's.

Can't mind if the later couple with the white van did chips or not, but they definitely did a mean burger with onion roll. Many was the denner time feed had there during my AHS days. The guy with the blue van did his chips in fat rather than oil I do mind, they were okay, had some good feeds from there, but a few not so good ones too. I'm an awkward beggar who actually prefers my chips in oil, and the tatties he used sometimes were far for good quality, which didn't help.

^^^ I can't mind exactly how long that van was on the go, it could well have lasted in to the 80's, I wasn't in the toon so much by then, so wasn't keeping up with things so well.

Charlie Fordyce was involved with it I'm reasonably sure, I don't mind whether he started it up before/during the time he had what's now the Happy Haddock, after Florrie Gair sold it, and then the other guy bought it off him. Or if it was the other way round, and he bought it off the guy who started it up. I mind it starting up anyway, around '77, and it going through ownership/management changes during it's early days.

Happy Haddock fish can be overcooked sometimes and the chips have a funny after-taste.

Ian's is terrible but their whitebait were fantastic on the rare opportunity they had 'em in.

The Fort is not too bad but the chips can sometimes have a funny taste.

I think, all in all, the best is the Happy Haddock, though the Scalloway Chippie used to be brilliant - 6 years ago.

My partner is a decorator and he is the chip expert when he is working in Lerwick - so far, HH is the winner!!!

Fx