Best Chipshop in shetland...

steven096

I think the Fort for the best fish. But none of the chippes get the chips right... I always find it disapointing to see the big boxes of "Caterers Best" frozen chips... I like real potato!

But the thing that makes a chip supper is sauce. I miss Edinburgh chippie sauce. I get a fresh supply everytime I go to edinburgh then I take it into the Fort with me and ask the girls behind the counter to cover the supper in it mmmhmmm. I'm sure the think im wierd.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As a new fresh member of this vibrant community i have to throw my two pennies worth into this debate on Shetland chipperys...

Firstly as regards Ians, i find personally that the grub has a somewhat oily taste, the fish resembles something iilegally caught as its so small.

The Happy Haddock is better, tho the revelation that they used (or maybe have stopped i don't know) lard is somewhat disturbing.

Now we come to da fort, well i can honestly say ive never had a bad fish supper from there in my life. Sitting down in the cafe is a joy, with the courtious staff being polite and helpful, and with the portion size exceptional.

Their curried chicken is particulary tasty....they have even recently decorated with an exciting and tastful wallpaper scheme which is easy on the eye.

I remember the old viking chippy where tho facilities where akin to Baghdad on a good day, your fish supper came wrapped in newspaper wher you could read the print on your chips....now those were fun times!!!

I remember the old viking chippy where tho facilities where akin to Baghdad on a good day, your fish supper came wrapped in newspaper wher you could read the print on your chips....now those were fun times!!!

Back in the day when it was run by an Indian family the chips there were actually pretty good I thought.....Yes, showing my age, we're talking mid 70's here.... Once it changed hands and Mr. S*****son took over the chip quality steadily deteriorated.... I don't know for sure if he fried in fat, but the chips certainly tasted that way, and not pleasantly either, a sour fatty taste. In the latter days of it when a certain Mrs F. from Sandwick ran the show, they were good chips again I thought.

I could live with reading the old news on my chips as I ate them, it was having to plan and execute your entrance and exit like a precision military operation, to have any chance to actually getting to the counter and back out again anywhere near 5 o'clock, that got a bit irritating after a while.

Selling fish and chips was once licensed under the Offensive Trades Act because of the smell produced. During the war it was the only take-away food not to be rationed
In the Eighties the industry took the decision not to wrap chips in newspaper because of a suggested link between black printing ink and cancer

National Chip Week runs from 11-17 February.

The secret life of chips:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,645763,00.html

In the Eighties the industry took the decision not to wrap chips in newspaper because of a suggested link between black printing ink and cancer

So they sell it instead in polystyrene, which contains god knows what cocktail of possibly cancer inducing chemicals....that's nice and clever.

Not only that, it allows condensation to form and drip back on to your food, and there's no means for excess oil/fat/vinegar to soak away, making your chips etc a vile soggy pulp, and that's quite apart from the plasticy taste that the polystyrene puts on it all in the first place.

Any reputable chip shop did not wrap your food in the newspaper, there was always a sheet of plain paper next the food, as well as the food being put in peerie greased bags in the first place. All the paper soaked up any excess oil/fat, the condensed steam and excess vinegar etc, your meal always stayed crisp, not the soaked stodge of today.

It was recycling at it's best, at least those unsold newspapers went to some practical purpose before they hit the incinerator. How much energy and resources is being used daily to create and transport all those little polystyrene chip boxes, and how much extra load are they creating for incinerators/landfill when all the while the unsold newspapers that formerly did the job are also ending up there, same as they always did after their chip run.

^
... suggested link between black printing ink and cancer...

This 'ink' is only carbon though, is it not? :?

allsorts of chemicals in newspaper ink apparently, including heavy metals, especially with the increased use of colour in newspapers

i think the ink mist created at the time of printing created the most significant cancer risk to the printers, through breathing it in

The Morning Glory where the old Hermitage pub was at the bottom of Morningside Rd, Edinburgh serves a mean fish supper called the Scotsman. Funnily enough it's served up in an old Scotsman newspaper.

I do believe it's served between a shiney piece of paper too .... but will have to go back and check that one out ;)

• 6 months later...

Last time i was in Ians the place was dark and there was next to nothing available, family bought chips from Happy Haddock a couple of nights ago it was terrible. Fish was dry and overcooked, i had 1 chip which was like a bit of rubber, needless to say not much of it was eaten.