Best Chipshop in shetland...

steven096

We went to frankies on friday at lunchtime. I had scampi which was good but the chips were awful. Hubby had mussels which were excellent. Sis had spicy chicken strips which again were good and her chips went same way as mine to the nearest bin. Niece never ate any of hers as the smell fae the fish put her off (and she loves fish) so her kids box went in bin as well. Really disappointed so we will no be back for a while if we go back at all.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THis rapidly turning into a thread about Frankie's. I just want to add my experience.

Our oldest daughter has been asking to go a run there sometime for a sit in meal so we decided to go there this evening, only to be told that they were fully booked! Instead we took the chips and sat in the layby just around the corner from Voe to eat them.

I thought this was the first time this had happened but thinking back it happened to me a few years ago at the Ashvale in Great Western Road in Aberdeen. This chip shop has been voted Scotland's Fish and Chip Shop of the Year and United Kingdom Fish and Chip Shop of the Year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say Frankies is the best fish and chip shop! Mum and Myself decided to travel from lerwick to give it a try as to hearing so many positive things about the place, and it was a lovely meal. The Service with a smile makes a great difference, the atmosphere was good, Food overall 10/10. beat Harry Ramsteads any day! ;) :)

Ach, MJ, I thought you meant Great Western Road in GLASGOW and got excited :cry:

I'm trying to look for a decent chippie in Glasgow but they just don't compare to home!

theres a good chippie at old drumchapel and rinaldos at drumchapel shopping centre was good not been for a lot of years to that one though.

in the city blue lagoon in sauchiehall street if it still there was my fav.

if you get the opportunity to go to fife the anstruther fish bar should be good as i think it has recently won fish and chippe of the year.

• 2 months later...

Went to frankies last night to try the place but wasnt impressed,the fish was good but the chips were undercooked,chipsteak was like rubber and the batter must have been scared o the meat,kids never ate their chips but the scories seemed to enjoy them and the only words spoken by the lass serving was-yes! and salt n vinegar,not even a thanks.I wont go back to Frankies chippie again and will stick with The Fort at least they cook the chips better and you get more fish :)

Ach, MJ, I thought you meant Great Western Road in GLASGOW and got excited :cry:

I'm trying to look for a decent chippie in Glasgow but they just don't compare to home!

theres a good chippie at old drumchapel and rinaldos at drumchapel shopping centre was good not been for a lot of years to that one though.

in the city blue lagoon in sauchiehall street if it still there was my fav.

if you get the opportunity to go to fife the anstruther fish bar should be good as i think it has recently won fish and chippe of the year.

Actually I found another one on Elmbank St just off Sauchiehall St - King's Cafe. Their chicken supper was wonderful :D

Frankies definitely has an issue with under cooking thier chips but what i have found is they are more then accommodating if you ask them to put yours on for a while longer, i ask each time i go in there now and they've never said no. Im not sure why they pick to cook them as they do to be honest but they do come out nice when they are cooked just a bit longer....

• 6 months later...

The Sausages were well and truly smoked there, I think

One begins to wonder, if the place was even insured.

They don’t seem to be, in any hurry to get it open again.

And the Hamefarin and Tall Ships coming too.

If that’s not an opportunity for a business to make some cash

they may as well stay closed