Dog Dirt Capital of the Northern Hemisphere?

BigMouth

Does every house in Lerwick have a pack of dogs?

There are such huge piles of dog turd on the street of Lerwick now that it is likely that they will have to be picked up on bulk rubbish day. Sometimes the piles are so big I have to step out into the road to walk around them.

Isn't this something that the Neighbourhood Support people are supposed to be tackling? They are supposed to be fining owners who let there animals crap in the street and don't pick up after them.

I am personally looking forward to the Neighbourhood Support lot getting there teeth into dog excrement.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

The dog crapping on Lerwick streets has gone on for far far too long. When I walk to work in the morning, I have to continiously do a double skip and jump to aboid the turds which seem to be strewn along my particular route. Where are these Neighbourhood Support Workers when you need them. This filth is dangrous to our own health, and indeed to children who may be playing nearby.

For anyone caught letting their dog drop one on the pavement, I propose the following action:

The name and contact details of the individual must be taken immediately by the NSW (or indeed any other member of the public who sees the culprate)

The dog should be taken away from the owner for a minimum of one week, and placed in a locally based kennel. This way the owner will think twice about their dog dropping on again

When a dog is deemed dangerous, or has been at bet for treatment. it is forced to wear a lampshade over its head. This is in turn ridicules the dog, and the owner. I propose that if a dog is caught polluting a path, then it should be forced to have a bucket tied to its back with a belt, and also have to wear a jacket with the inscription 'Danger - Jobby-Doggy' in its side.

When this 3 point plan is implemented, I firmly believe that our streets will be free from this continual problem.

:evil:

I must admit that I had become so frustrated by the lack of SIC action over the matter that I had come up with a cunning plan.

I intended to register a domain name and rent some web space that would allow me to draw a map of Lerwick by hand and show photographs of the quality of dog turds on these particular streets. Only streets with dog turds would appear on the map. The website would be very much aimed at the tourist market. Chances are that there would be some action then!

Anecdote:

I worked for a company where one of the employees invented a system. An operator rode a quad bike which was fitted with a Numatic carpet cleaner. This machine was of the pressure and extraction variety. The spray tank was full of something that broke down the dog turd and allowed it to be sucked up the nozzle of the vacuum. It sounds horrendous, but it worked and he started to market it to local councils. Where his plan went awry was the naming of the machine. The Ride On Vehicle Excrement Remover - or ROVER for short. Needless to say the motoring giant got to hear of this and told him to stop using their name. :D

Guest Anonymous

What a bunch of maely tatties you all are. Don't hear anybody complaining about the amount of horse skitter that frequents the lerwick roads, surely they're more hazardous to driving that dug dirt on some eens shoes.

In days of yore when fok in lerrick had to teesh in buckets den bell it oot der windoos and shout 'gardie loo', dat was maybe something to worry aboot, but peerie dugs doing der business, wha cares?

Believe me, I wid rather step ankle deep in a massive horse turd, than strim a watery piece o' stinking dug shucks intae my eye. I wid even rather have a moothful o' hen muck. The thing that makes it so bad is the fact that dogs are carnivores....and unless you are a shockingly pathetic driver, your no goin tae go aff the road if you run ower a horse poop.

Still, theres no excuse for either, and I agree that horse riders should get aff their (high) horses with a black bag ootside-in ower their hond and pick it up. Actually Dogpoolover, you've uncovered a burning hatred of horse riders that I didna keen I hed. :twisted:

<100th post! :D

I canna believe it was aboot turd. turd!

Guest Anonymous

I care when I get it on my shoe by accident and drag it into the house. More than this, there is a big difference between horse manure - which is healthy gear in comparison since it is good for the garden - and dogs excrement which stinks to the high heavens, and has the worst smell ever. Moreover, why should little kids have to play amongst the dogs droppings?

Guest Anonymous

In response to guest: I'm never tellt my bairns to geen and play in dog poo droppings, if du's tellin de bairns to du dat den du's gotten a serious parental flaw.

In response to PoolHaddock: If you'd 'rather step ankle deep in a massive horse turd, than strim a watery piece o' stinking dug shucks intae my eye', suggest you see a doctor, I take it you've had psychiatric help in the past?

Horse poo is hazardous as highlighted by a women who skidded off the road in wiltshire england, as the horse poo filled the grooves in her front left tyre thus affecting her steering of the car and suffered serious spinal injuries after colliding with a lamp post.

As someone who's been a dog walker for the past 19 years, i've never had a problem picking up poo, but if the dug does it in a secluded place, thats another story.......